Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

in defense of BG CPed

Posted by elliott on 1/15/02 at 16:06 (070058)

OK, we all know the story about Sean and his Finn inserts. Here is the post that started it all:

bbv.cgi?n=69095

Many thought BG CPed jumped the gun on this guy (even I thought so initially), and some went on to chastise any who unnecessarily chase away those genuinely offering ideas for healing. There wasn't much dissention, and then BG CPed was left to squirm, a lonely twig twisting in the hot desert wind.

Well, the more I thought about it, the more suspicious I became. I re-read Sean's posts, and I urge you all to do so too. I decided to wait a week to see if Sean would post on any topic other than Finn inserts (he didn't), at which time I decided to come to the defense of BG Cped.

Sean's writing 'style' is rather unusual, to say the least. His posts as they pertain to Finn have an uncanny technical marketing perfectness about them. His subsequent posts justifying his cameo appearance actually do less rather than more to convince me of his bona fides.

In short, I'd bet my money Sean has some connection with Finn inserts and/or HappyFeet, and that BG CPed was the only one street-smart enough to pick that up right away (either that or Sean's subtle slam against medical orthotics was more than BG CPed could bear. :-)) Can I be sure about Sean? No. But when someone comes on solely to promote a product the way he did, a very healthy dose of skepticism is not so out of line; some could argue it's the norm. Why am I digging up old bones? Because no one else really gave BG CPed any support on this, so here I am.

Yes, we shouldn't jump at every newbie who posts here, and we can all benefit from pointers making our writing clearer and less provocative. At the same time, that shouldn't preclude legitimate debate about how to handle posts like 'this site is behind the times!'. I get the feeling some here are a bit too anxious to stifle legitimate exchange of opinions. I don't mind exposure to and even promotion of new products (as long as they don't overdo the number of posts or wildly exaggerate the benefits, and are prepared for a healthy does of skepticism regarding the products they're pushing), and you could argue that others here (e.g. Dr. Z with ESWT, and even the pedorthists themselves) are, in a sense, doing that too. But the difference, among other things, is that they say up front who they are. Or, in the words of BG CPed,

'If you are in the 'business' and have a product you feel is valuable, be open, up front and join the club. Scott has a great board here and it should not be used for hit and run marketing.'

---

Re: in defense of BG CPed

nancy s. on 1/15/02 at 16:43 (070066)

elliott, i honestly don't know about sean in particular, but i agree with your philosophy here completely. i'd say we have not only a right but a duty to question possible product-pushers who may not be up-front about their motives (and also the plain old obnoxious, one of whom you mentioned in your post above). in over two years on the board, i've seen both types; and people in pain and desperate for relief, no matter how intelligent, can be manipulated. i think it's very fair for people to try to guard against that happening here.
nancy

Dr. Zuckeman on 1/15/02 at 16:55 (070069)

I missed the orginal thread but did read it via the link that Elliot gave us. . Never going to prove the relationship. Here is another interesting item from the Sean posting. An MD did the casting. I have never heard of or seen an MD ever do a casting for orthosis including Foot Orthopedic Could be a mistake. The description of the medical orthosis was really not a tyical description of custom, casted orthosis. Just my comments after reading this this thread. Oh and one last comment ESWT should be used before Finn orthosis after all why should the patient only pay $34 when he could spend thousands for ESWT. Just joking.

Re: LOL!

elliott on 1/15/02 at 17:05 (070070)

Oh, and one more thing: Never, ever trust a doctor who can't even spell his own surname. :-) :-)

---

elliott on 1/15/02 at 17:27 (070074)

And one more thing: never, ever trust a doctor who can't even spell his own surname! :-) :-)

--

Re: ignore the other two LOLs; they're imposters :-) (nm)

elliott on 1/15/02 at 17:29 (070077)

Dr. Zuckeman on 1/15/02 at 17:32 (070079)

You are good !!!.

Re: oops!

elliott on 1/15/02 at 17:36 (070080)

And never, ever trust someone who can't spell 'impostors'!

(Hope wendyn's too busy with her job to see this. :-))

---

Re: no need to post to yourself that you're good; we know that! :-) (nm)

elliott on 1/15/02 at 17:38 (070081)

Re: oh, and...

elliott on 1/15/02 at 17:40 (070082)

you still can't spell your name. :-)

Some defense of BG CPed this thread turned out to be. :-)

---

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/15/02 at 17:53 (070083)

ZUCKERMAN 3rd

BG CPed on 1/15/02 at 18:48 (070094)

Well thank you Sir Elliot my good man. I was also thinking the same thing, that he was not going to resurface with any other helpful hints except to 'defend' his point. I also searched on cped and there is a cped by the name of Sean F---------- that happens to be located about 5 miles from a few of the happyfeet stores.

I guess I am letting the P.C. Police wear me down. I dont mean to nitpic but as a rule I see too many pt that come in getting ripped off with products. I have nothing against the finn device but it is not anything special just a better than everage off the shelf. It is one thing to talk up a product but that post was a little to 'neat'

Thanks for helping me stop twisting in the wind, I was getting sunburned and my wrists were hurting from the rope. p.s. I thought I would have had some back up from an angry Canadian, guess I am not that important after all.

Re: Yes, you are important!

Suzanne D on 1/15/02 at 19:05 (070098)

I read with interest the thread in question and was skeptical from the start. If I feel this way on a subject (particularly one in which I don't have a lot of experience or knowledge), I often just keep reading and stay 'quiet', watching carefully. Sometimes, as my daddy used to say, 'If you give someone enough rope, he will hang himself!'

I DO appreciate all the doctors and CPeds who take their time to inform and protect us on this site!

Sorry you were left 'twisting in the wind'. You ARE important! :-)

Tammie on 1/15/02 at 19:24 (070099)

Well said I ditto what you said so nicely! Thanks suzanne for putting it into words so well!

nancy s. on 1/15/02 at 16:43 (070066)

elliott, i honestly don't know about sean in particular, but i agree with your philosophy here completely. i'd say we have not only a right but a duty to question possible product-pushers who may not be up-front about their motives (and also the plain old obnoxious, one of whom you mentioned in your post above). in over two years on the board, i've seen both types; and people in pain and desperate for relief, no matter how intelligent, can be manipulated. i think it's very fair for people to try to guard against that happening here.
nancy

Dr. Zuckeman on 1/15/02 at 16:55 (070069)

I missed the orginal thread but did read it via the link that Elliot gave us. . Never going to prove the relationship. Here is another interesting item from the Sean posting. An MD did the casting. I have never heard of or seen an MD ever do a casting for orthosis including Foot Orthopedic Could be a mistake. The description of the medical orthosis was really not a tyical description of custom, casted orthosis. Just my comments after reading this this thread. Oh and one last comment ESWT should be used before Finn orthosis after all why should the patient only pay $34 when he could spend thousands for ESWT. Just joking.

elliott on 1/15/02 at 17:05 (070070)

Oh, and one more thing: Never, ever trust a doctor who can't even spell his own surname. :-) :-)

---

elliott on 1/15/02 at 17:27 (070074)

And one more thing: never, ever trust a doctor who can't even spell his own surname! :-) :-)

--

Re: ignore the other two LOLs; they're imposters :-) (nm)

elliott on 1/15/02 at 17:29 (070077)

Dr. Zuckeman on 1/15/02 at 17:32 (070079)

You are good !!!.

Re: oops!

elliott on 1/15/02 at 17:36 (070080)

And never, ever trust someone who can't spell 'impostors'!

(Hope wendyn's too busy with her job to see this. :-))

---

Re: no need to post to yourself that you're good; we know that! :-) (nm)

elliott on 1/15/02 at 17:38 (070081)

elliott on 1/15/02 at 17:40 (070082)

you still can't spell your name. :-)

Some defense of BG CPed this thread turned out to be. :-)

---

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/15/02 at 17:53 (070083)

ZUCKERMAN 3rd

BG CPed on 1/15/02 at 18:48 (070094)

Well thank you Sir Elliot my good man. I was also thinking the same thing, that he was not going to resurface with any other helpful hints except to 'defend' his point. I also searched on cped and there is a cped by the name of Sean F---------- that happens to be located about 5 miles from a few of the happyfeet stores.

I guess I am letting the P.C. Police wear me down. I dont mean to nitpic but as a rule I see too many pt that come in getting ripped off with products. I have nothing against the finn device but it is not anything special just a better than everage off the shelf. It is one thing to talk up a product but that post was a little to 'neat'

Thanks for helping me stop twisting in the wind, I was getting sunburned and my wrists were hurting from the rope. p.s. I thought I would have had some back up from an angry Canadian, guess I am not that important after all.

Suzanne D on 1/15/02 at 19:05 (070098)

I read with interest the thread in question and was skeptical from the start. If I feel this way on a subject (particularly one in which I don't have a lot of experience or knowledge), I often just keep reading and stay 'quiet', watching carefully. Sometimes, as my daddy used to say, 'If you give someone enough rope, he will hang himself!'

I DO appreciate all the doctors and CPeds who take their time to inform and protect us on this site!

Sorry you were left 'twisting in the wind'. You ARE important! :-)

Tammie on 1/15/02 at 19:24 (070099)

Well said I ditto what you said so nicely! Thanks suzanne for putting it into words so well!