Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Is there a "break in period" for new orthos?

Posted by Mahatmelissama on 1/16/02 at 10:22 (070182)

I just received some new orthos. They make my feet a little sore if I wear them too long, especially in the left side of arch on my left foot. They are rather uncomfortable since they go up so high in the heel and in the arch area, however I notice I don't have any pain in my legs/hips/backs when I wear them (like I normally do when standing too long). I just picked them up last night.

The guy at the foot store did not give me any instructions except 'bring a pair of shoes to bring into just in case' to work.

These are custom, not OTC.

Thx.

Re: Is there a "break in period" for new orthos?

Al K DPM on 1/17/02 at 07:48 (070246)

There is normally a break in period with every orthotic that is dependant on type of orthotic and foot type. In general, a more flexible foot will have an easier time of 'break-in' than a more rigid one, and the same goes for the orthotic. I would recommend wearing the orthotic for a few hours initially, then increase them in wear an hour a day after that.

Richard, C.Ped on 1/18/02 at 15:24 (070423)

I usually recommend to my patients to slowly break in to the orthosis. It all depends on the material used and how sore your feet are. If they are pretty sore, I would suggest starting out at only 15 - 30 minutes the first day. If you are able to tolerate it, go 30 - 60 minutes the next. Everyone is different, so I would suggest that you go at your own pace. Increase usage per day as much as you can tolerate it. Do not over do it.
Good luck!!!!!
Richard

Re: hey doctor al

paula on 1/18/02 at 15:51 (070427)

glad you survived the welcoming committe and glad to see you offering your input here.

Mahatmelissama on 1/19/02 at 19:31 (070569)

I had them readjusted. My feet get sore faster from standing in my orthos in my sandals then my cheap higher, not as supportive sandals. My feet though seem to ache more after I wear my cheap sandals. I wrote more indepth in bbv.cgi?n=70218 (another thread I started when this one was not answered in this section).

I wonder how I can tell if I am healing or just wasting my time?

Al K DPM on 1/17/02 at 07:48 (070246)

There is normally a break in period with every orthotic that is dependant on type of orthotic and foot type. In general, a more flexible foot will have an easier time of 'break-in' than a more rigid one, and the same goes for the orthotic. I would recommend wearing the orthotic for a few hours initially, then increase them in wear an hour a day after that.

Richard, C.Ped on 1/18/02 at 15:24 (070423)

I usually recommend to my patients to slowly break in to the orthosis. It all depends on the material used and how sore your feet are. If they are pretty sore, I would suggest starting out at only 15 - 30 minutes the first day. If you are able to tolerate it, go 30 - 60 minutes the next. Everyone is different, so I would suggest that you go at your own pace. Increase usage per day as much as you can tolerate it. Do not over do it.
Good luck!!!!!
Richard

Re: hey doctor al

paula on 1/18/02 at 15:51 (070427)

glad you survived the welcoming committe and glad to see you offering your input here.

Mahatmelissama on 1/19/02 at 19:31 (070569)

I had them readjusted. My feet get sore faster from standing in my orthos in my sandals then my cheap higher, not as supportive sandals. My feet though seem to ache more after I wear my cheap sandals. I wrote more indepth in bbv.cgi?n=70218 (another thread I started when this one was not answered in this section).

I wonder how I can tell if I am healing or just wasting my time?