Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

for Necee and other bird watchers...

Posted by Suzanne D on 1/16/02 at 14:37 (070210)

After seeing the little bird in our tree which we placed in the bucket with the birdseed on pinecones outside our classroom, we haven't seen any more. I know that there are birds in the front of the school in the trees (we're in the back), so perhaps they just aren't making their way back here! The children, however, are fascinated and convinced that they just come when we aren't looking, so I am just letting them hang onto that! :-)

They are still SO excited about learning about birds! I think I mentioned before that the boys, especially, are so fascinated with owls! I found a site which chronicles a man and his project taping and photographing a pair of owls and their little owlets. We wrote to him and received an answer back today as well as a site for reading about a place in KY which takes in injured birds of prey and restores them to health to release them to the wild if possible. Today we even disected owl pellets (yuck!), but I tried to be as enthusiastic as they were! :-)

Well, this is a long way from a discussion of FEET, but I wanted to update you, Necee, and anyone else who was interested in our project earlier!

Oh, yes, we also wrote owl poems. They really did some good thinking for first graders! Here's one of my favorites -
Owls are like deer hunters,
But they don't have a gun.
They kill a mouse
And eat it when they're done.

:-)

Re: for Necee and other bird watchers...

Necee on 1/16/02 at 22:28 (070230)

Hi Suzanne,
Thanks for filling me in! I was wondering the other day how the bird project was going. We have owls that roost in our barn, and I've been in the hallway when they take flight. They are beautiful birds.
Just keep the feed out for the birds and keep watching. Most of them are probably feeding there right after daybreak, but I still have faith that they will arrive and delight ya'll during school hours.
Keep me posted!!
Happy Trials...
Necee

Suzanne D on 1/17/02 at 05:32 (070239)

Thanks, Necee! From what you said, perhaps my children have been right all along in their childlike faith! Perhaps the birds HAVE been coming before we get to school! I will tell them that they are probably feeding right after daybreak, and hopefully, they will see one for themselves one day. Even after 22 years of teaching, it still amazes me to experience the natural joy and love of learning that children have before they become older and experience failure and discouragement! One little girl looked up at me yesterday and said, 'When I grow up, I'm going to become a doctor of science!' :-)

Have a very good day! I think of you often as I look out at our tree!

Re: I love that poem!

Valerie S on 1/17/02 at 11:44 (070272)

That's so awesome!

Suzanne D on 1/17/02 at 14:19 (070286)

Thanks! The little boy who wrote the poem was so serious about it. He came to my desk and said, 'I have it figured out. I think owls are like deer hunters - you know they don't waste what they kill. They eat it!' He has been quite proud of his poem. And he's not usually one who is 'at the head of the pack', so this success has been quite good for him!

By the way, I liked your picture! You look like a fun person to be around! :-)

John h on 1/19/02 at 15:34 (070543)

Suzzanne: 'Owlets'?? Sounds like a vocal group from the 60's. Among other birds I feed in my back yard are quail, morining dive. 3 different woodpeckers including the one that is as big as a chicken, chickadee,red birds,occasional blue bird, black bird (cannot keep them away), humming birds in season, mocking bird, lots of bats in the summer, swallow in season snf many other. I have the chickadee fly into my hand and eat.

Suzanne D on 1/19/02 at 17:31 (070559)

John, my children would most likely say, 'Awesome!' if they saw you feeding the chickadee from your hand!

What you wrote made me think of a good friend, an elderly man, who used to keep track of all the birds and other critters which he fed. He lived alone - near me - and would call to tell me how many doves came or how many deer he spotted, etc. The only ones he didn't like were the bluejays as he said they were mean and drove the others away. He was known to take out his shotgun to scare them away! One year we gave him a squirrel feeder for Christmas and that gave him a lot of pleasure.

Enjoy all your birds! Next week we are going to learn about penguins, so that should really have the kids excited! :-)

nancy s. on 1/19/02 at 19:32 (070570)

john the birdman: i'm green with envy. how do you get a chickadee to eat out of your hand? i read about it, and tried for ten years at our other house. we had all kinds of birds at our feeders, and chickadees year-round, and i could never get one to perch on my hand. i probably got pf standing there so long.

from another thread, you have a southern accent??? i didn't picture this, and why not? there you are in little rock. you're such a great guy, i thought you must talk normal like us northerners! (this is from someone with a poughkeepsie-born accent perked up from its flatness by 15 years in the boston area. the maine accent is only now beginning slightly to creep in, after 13 years here. i'll stop now, because i'm beginning to feel as old as dr. lewi with all these years piling up.)
nancy

John h on 1/19/02 at 19:49 (070578)

Suzanne: Many years ago I was sitting on my pattio in Wichita, Kansas. A robin flew up and landed on my head and started chirping. I called my wife who could not believe it. I had her bring some bread out and he/she jumped into my hands and started eating. for several days he stayed around and i fed him out of my hand and he bathed in a cup. I thought I was the Pied Piper of bird land. One day a group of kids came by and saw me with the robin and they said that is 'Mr. Robin'. He had been raised by some neighbor kid and let go. There went my Pied Piper thoughts and magic.

Suzanne D on 1/19/02 at 20:15 (070580)

I still think that was special; he probably would not have landed on just anyone's head!

Three years ago, someone loaned a bird to the science teacher in my school - right across the hall from my room. For some reason, the bird, 'Dolly', like my voice or something about me. She had belonged to someone who had taught her to say a few words. She usually would only say them to me. Sometimes we had our faculty meetings in the science room, and she would not settle down for us to hear the principal unless I sat near her cage!

Then one afternoon after school - unknown to me - the science teacher and the custodian let her out while they cleaned the cage. My door was open, and I said something to someone so she made a beeline to me! I hate to admit it, but it startled me so when she swooped in and headed straight for me, that I crouched down on the floor beside my computer! She landed on my shoulder, and when they could recover from laughing, the custodian and science teacher tried in vain to get her off. She kept digging into my shoulder. Finally they were able to get her and put her back in the cage.

Of course that lead to quite a bit of teasing, and on the last day of school for teachers, the PE and science teachers made a bird from a marker and paper wings and threw it across the hall. I chased the PE teacher to the gym, but of course that was before PF! :-)

Suzanne D on 1/19/02 at 20:18 (070582)

Why, I think the southern accent only makes him go up higher in my estimation! :-)

This brings to mind the time when my in-laws in Indiana mentioned that they were having trouble listening to then President Carter's accent. I said, 'What accent? He's the first one we've had in a long time that DOESN'T have an accent!'

nancy s. on 1/19/02 at 21:11 (070589)

i'm definitely kidding here, suzanne. i've 'met' so many great southerners on this board that i walk around this god-forsaken-town-up-north-in-winter listening desperately for southern accents!

i'm still missing Texas Barb. . . . Barb, can you get a voice scanner or whatever the heck that thing was that scott posted about earlier today? and bring us up to date on your christmas and 2002 so far? most of all, i wish you'd give dr. huey lewi a little kick in the pants and get him to post. it's been too long.
n.

Necee on 1/16/02 at 22:28 (070230)

Hi Suzanne,
Thanks for filling me in! I was wondering the other day how the bird project was going. We have owls that roost in our barn, and I've been in the hallway when they take flight. They are beautiful birds.
Just keep the feed out for the birds and keep watching. Most of them are probably feeding there right after daybreak, but I still have faith that they will arrive and delight ya'll during school hours.
Keep me posted!!
Happy Trials...
Necee

Suzanne D on 1/17/02 at 05:32 (070239)

Thanks, Necee! From what you said, perhaps my children have been right all along in their childlike faith! Perhaps the birds HAVE been coming before we get to school! I will tell them that they are probably feeding right after daybreak, and hopefully, they will see one for themselves one day. Even after 22 years of teaching, it still amazes me to experience the natural joy and love of learning that children have before they become older and experience failure and discouragement! One little girl looked up at me yesterday and said, 'When I grow up, I'm going to become a doctor of science!' :-)

Have a very good day! I think of you often as I look out at our tree!

Valerie S on 1/17/02 at 11:44 (070272)

That's so awesome!

Suzanne D on 1/17/02 at 14:19 (070286)

Thanks! The little boy who wrote the poem was so serious about it. He came to my desk and said, 'I have it figured out. I think owls are like deer hunters - you know they don't waste what they kill. They eat it!' He has been quite proud of his poem. And he's not usually one who is 'at the head of the pack', so this success has been quite good for him!

By the way, I liked your picture! You look like a fun person to be around! :-)

John h on 1/19/02 at 15:34 (070543)

Suzzanne: 'Owlets'?? Sounds like a vocal group from the 60's. Among other birds I feed in my back yard are quail, morining dive. 3 different woodpeckers including the one that is as big as a chicken, chickadee,red birds,occasional blue bird, black bird (cannot keep them away), humming birds in season, mocking bird, lots of bats in the summer, swallow in season snf many other. I have the chickadee fly into my hand and eat.

Suzanne D on 1/19/02 at 17:31 (070559)

John, my children would most likely say, 'Awesome!' if they saw you feeding the chickadee from your hand!

What you wrote made me think of a good friend, an elderly man, who used to keep track of all the birds and other critters which he fed. He lived alone - near me - and would call to tell me how many doves came or how many deer he spotted, etc. The only ones he didn't like were the bluejays as he said they were mean and drove the others away. He was known to take out his shotgun to scare them away! One year we gave him a squirrel feeder for Christmas and that gave him a lot of pleasure.

Enjoy all your birds! Next week we are going to learn about penguins, so that should really have the kids excited! :-)

nancy s. on 1/19/02 at 19:32 (070570)

john the birdman: i'm green with envy. how do you get a chickadee to eat out of your hand? i read about it, and tried for ten years at our other house. we had all kinds of birds at our feeders, and chickadees year-round, and i could never get one to perch on my hand. i probably got pf standing there so long.

from another thread, you have a southern accent??? i didn't picture this, and why not? there you are in little rock. you're such a great guy, i thought you must talk normal like us northerners! (this is from someone with a poughkeepsie-born accent perked up from its flatness by 15 years in the boston area. the maine accent is only now beginning slightly to creep in, after 13 years here. i'll stop now, because i'm beginning to feel as old as dr. lewi with all these years piling up.)
nancy

John h on 1/19/02 at 19:49 (070578)

Suzanne: Many years ago I was sitting on my pattio in Wichita, Kansas. A robin flew up and landed on my head and started chirping. I called my wife who could not believe it. I had her bring some bread out and he/she jumped into my hands and started eating. for several days he stayed around and i fed him out of my hand and he bathed in a cup. I thought I was the Pied Piper of bird land. One day a group of kids came by and saw me with the robin and they said that is 'Mr. Robin'. He had been raised by some neighbor kid and let go. There went my Pied Piper thoughts and magic.

Suzanne D on 1/19/02 at 20:15 (070580)

I still think that was special; he probably would not have landed on just anyone's head!

Three years ago, someone loaned a bird to the science teacher in my school - right across the hall from my room. For some reason, the bird, 'Dolly', like my voice or something about me. She had belonged to someone who had taught her to say a few words. She usually would only say them to me. Sometimes we had our faculty meetings in the science room, and she would not settle down for us to hear the principal unless I sat near her cage!

Then one afternoon after school - unknown to me - the science teacher and the custodian let her out while they cleaned the cage. My door was open, and I said something to someone so she made a beeline to me! I hate to admit it, but it startled me so when she swooped in and headed straight for me, that I crouched down on the floor beside my computer! She landed on my shoulder, and when they could recover from laughing, the custodian and science teacher tried in vain to get her off. She kept digging into my shoulder. Finally they were able to get her and put her back in the cage.

Of course that lead to quite a bit of teasing, and on the last day of school for teachers, the PE and science teachers made a bird from a marker and paper wings and threw it across the hall. I chased the PE teacher to the gym, but of course that was before PF! :-)

Suzanne D on 1/19/02 at 20:18 (070582)

Why, I think the southern accent only makes him go up higher in my estimation! :-)

This brings to mind the time when my in-laws in Indiana mentioned that they were having trouble listening to then President Carter's accent. I said, 'What accent? He's the first one we've had in a long time that DOESN'T have an accent!'

nancy s. on 1/19/02 at 21:11 (070589)

i'm definitely kidding here, suzanne. i've 'met' so many great southerners on this board that i walk around this god-forsaken-town-up-north-in-winter listening desperately for southern accents!

i'm still missing Texas Barb. . . . Barb, can you get a voice scanner or whatever the heck that thing was that scott posted about earlier today? and bring us up to date on your christmas and 2002 so far? most of all, i wish you'd give dr. huey lewi a little kick in the pants and get him to post. it's been too long.
n.