Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Break in period for Orthos?

Posted by Mahatmelissama on 1/16/02 at 17:33 (070218)

I got impatient since ain't nobody replying...
so I am re-posting in here...

bbv.cgi?n=70182 <---my original thread
nobody done answered...

BTW, I am going RIGHT back to the ped and having these adjusted
since I am the princess with the pea-pod under the mattresses

Re: Break in period for Orthos?

BG CPed on 1/16/02 at 19:57 (070227)

Well I am not a Doc. The first thing is you didnt get any instructions. I have a one page sheet and give verbal instructions also. If you wore them 1 hour first day 2 hours 2nd 3 hours 3rd and so on you may do ok.
If it is a high arch device and causing pain on the out side middle of foot it could be a few things. Did he interface it with your shoe?
It may be over correcting you and putting pressure on the base of the 5th met shaft. I would ask him to re check and maybe adjust them. What type of shoe are you wearing them in, a little history may help

Mahatmelissama on 1/19/02 at 19:18 (070565)

Well, at first I was wearing closed clogs. The pads were too high in the heel and in the arch. The ped shaved them down and put me in flat sandals (I tried on a bunch of shoes and those were the ones that worked the best...he exchgd the clogs).

Well, I can now tolerate them. The thing is, I still have pain in my heel and also the out ridge, the area you are describing I think. My old sandals which don't support me much, are more comfortable...but I ache more after I take them off (does that make sense)?

I wear now the orthos in these new sandals all day long, I am on my 3rd day of them. I picked up my nephew the other day, I had more trouble doing that in my higher old cheap sandals.

How can you tell if they are helping (not hurting)?
Should you feel absolutely no pain at first or is it as time goes on, your feet heal and there is less and less pain?
I was told by the peds there that most people feel better after wearing the orthos. I guess I just expected to be waaaay better right away.

Re: Absolutely no pain might be a little overly optimistic... :)

Carole C on 1/20/02 at 18:44 (070698)

I am not a foot doctor either, but I have had one of the better experiences with custom orthotics that I've read about on the board. From what I gather, my experiences were about the best one might expect.

My feet actually began to feel better before I left the pedorthist's office. That doesn't mean they didn't hurt... they hurt a LOT, a whole lot, but less than they did before. For short periods of time they even felt better standing than sitting, because I needed something to push my arch back up so much (or that was what it seemed like to me). I still had a hard time walking more than 20-30 feet or so, but that sure beat how things were when I arrived. My pedorthist didn't mention a break-in but said to wear my Birkenstocks in the evenings, and since I was liking these (soft) orthotics so much I didn't break them in at all.

I feel that what the orthotics do is to hold my feet in a position so that they don't get injured even more, and in this way they allow the previous injuries to heal. Still, that healing was not instantaneous and has taken a long time. I am still not pain free but my pain has gradually decreased in the 41 days since I got my orthotics.

Rest is really important too, for me, and if I walk too much my feet hurt more. I wear my orthotics even when I'm resting because they cradle my foot and keep me from putting my foot in positions that aren't helpful to my PF.

That ache after you take off the old sandals would worry me.

Carole C

Mahatmelissama on 1/21/02 at 11:23 (070762)

Hi Carole,

I think my old sandals are weak in support but high enough (platform) and ssquishy, so I like them.

My new sandals though lay out like Birks...the ortho is a pad but no give, very solid. My right foot seems to be doing alright but left has higher arch. During my move this weekend, I broke down crying since I can't help much. I am so frustrated. The pod I went to is so so so busy...the peds at the footstore i went to give me more of their time and help (especially since I was mistreated by one of them and the others all felt bad about it).

I just want to make sure I am on a good path with these orthos since the pod doesn't seem to have a clue (yes, I know I should go to a new one...and that is a journey I seem to unfortunately have to take in the future).

Thank the Lord for this board. Thanks for listening.

Carole C on 1/21/02 at 21:16 (070816)

Moving with feet that hurt sounds awful!!!!!!!

I would have been concerned about your mental health if you HADN'T cried. That had to be an awful experience. I didn't know that you were moving. You need to be resting while they are new, but I don't see how you could under the circumstances. Try to rest your feet all you can, and ice too if they need it. (hugs)

Carole C

BG CPed on 1/16/02 at 19:57 (070227)

Well I am not a Doc. The first thing is you didnt get any instructions. I have a one page sheet and give verbal instructions also. If you wore them 1 hour first day 2 hours 2nd 3 hours 3rd and so on you may do ok.
If it is a high arch device and causing pain on the out side middle of foot it could be a few things. Did he interface it with your shoe?
It may be over correcting you and putting pressure on the base of the 5th met shaft. I would ask him to re check and maybe adjust them. What type of shoe are you wearing them in, a little history may help

Mahatmelissama on 1/19/02 at 19:18 (070565)

Well, at first I was wearing closed clogs. The pads were too high in the heel and in the arch. The ped shaved them down and put me in flat sandals (I tried on a bunch of shoes and those were the ones that worked the best...he exchgd the clogs).

Well, I can now tolerate them. The thing is, I still have pain in my heel and also the out ridge, the area you are describing I think. My old sandals which don't support me much, are more comfortable...but I ache more after I take them off (does that make sense)?

I wear now the orthos in these new sandals all day long, I am on my 3rd day of them. I picked up my nephew the other day, I had more trouble doing that in my higher old cheap sandals.

How can you tell if they are helping (not hurting)?
Should you feel absolutely no pain at first or is it as time goes on, your feet heal and there is less and less pain?
I was told by the peds there that most people feel better after wearing the orthos. I guess I just expected to be waaaay better right away.

Carole C on 1/20/02 at 18:44 (070698)

I am not a foot doctor either, but I have had one of the better experiences with custom orthotics that I've read about on the board. From what I gather, my experiences were about the best one might expect.

My feet actually began to feel better before I left the pedorthist's office. That doesn't mean they didn't hurt... they hurt a LOT, a whole lot, but less than they did before. For short periods of time they even felt better standing than sitting, because I needed something to push my arch back up so much (or that was what it seemed like to me). I still had a hard time walking more than 20-30 feet or so, but that sure beat how things were when I arrived. My pedorthist didn't mention a break-in but said to wear my Birkenstocks in the evenings, and since I was liking these (soft) orthotics so much I didn't break them in at all.

I feel that what the orthotics do is to hold my feet in a position so that they don't get injured even more, and in this way they allow the previous injuries to heal. Still, that healing was not instantaneous and has taken a long time. I am still not pain free but my pain has gradually decreased in the 41 days since I got my orthotics.

Rest is really important too, for me, and if I walk too much my feet hurt more. I wear my orthotics even when I'm resting because they cradle my foot and keep me from putting my foot in positions that aren't helpful to my PF.

That ache after you take off the old sandals would worry me.

Carole C

Mahatmelissama on 1/21/02 at 11:23 (070762)

Hi Carole,

I think my old sandals are weak in support but high enough (platform) and ssquishy, so I like them.

My new sandals though lay out like Birks...the ortho is a pad but no give, very solid. My right foot seems to be doing alright but left has higher arch. During my move this weekend, I broke down crying since I can't help much. I am so frustrated. The pod I went to is so so so busy...the peds at the footstore i went to give me more of their time and help (especially since I was mistreated by one of them and the others all felt bad about it).

I just want to make sure I am on a good path with these orthos since the pod doesn't seem to have a clue (yes, I know I should go to a new one...and that is a journey I seem to unfortunately have to take in the future).

Thank the Lord for this board. Thanks for listening.

Carole C on 1/21/02 at 21:16 (070816)

Moving with feet that hurt sounds awful!!!!!!!

I would have been concerned about your mental health if you HADN'T cried. That had to be an awful experience. I didn't know that you were moving. You need to be resting while they are new, but I don't see how you could under the circumstances. Try to rest your feet all you can, and ice too if they need it. (hugs)

Carole C