Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Anybody cured this problem successfully?

Posted by Lisa P on 1/17/02 at 20:01 (070332)

My post recently was pretty long, so maybe that's why hardly anyone responded. I'm just interested to know if any of you all have cured PF enough that you actually don't have to deal with it on a daily basis. (or even better, longer than daily)
Thanks

Re: Anybody cured this problem successfully?

Julie on 1/18/02 at 04:12 (070354)

Hi Lisa

I was away when you posted your original message. Yes: I consider myself a 'success'. I had PF (onefoot, my left) for five months, starting in August 2000. With the help of my podiatrist and heelspurs.com I progressed more or less steadily until by January 2001 I was able to walk without pain. It took a little while to trust my improvement but I have been fine for the past year.

Briefly, the things that helped me (in no particular order) were rest (eliminating all recreational walking), taping, orthotics, icing when the inflammation was severe, attention to my footwear (Birkenstocks indoors, good trainers outdoors) and never going barefoot (though I now can, I don't very much).

I remain vigilant, believing that 'once a weakness, always a weakness'. I feel it would be foolish to forget about it and pretend it could never happen again, so I keep wearing the shoes that work for me. I also keep alert to twinges and take note of them. I don't push myself. But that's just me: 'cured' isn;t a word that figures in my vocabulary, though I know most people would prefer to think they are cured.

nancy s. on 1/18/02 at 07:17 (070357)

hi lisa, i'm sorry i missed your post the first time around. i feel that my foot problems have improved greatly (enormously), and i'd say i'm now managing them successfully. like julie, i don't feel comfortable with the term 'cured,' because i do have occasional days that aren't as good as most days.

i first got pf in my left foot -- very suddenly and very bad -- in the spring of 1999, and didn't get good medical help, though i tried. i finally found this website in december 1999, and began to learn a lot about pf and treatments to try for it. i started wearing birks almost exclusively, and they probably made the single biggest difference -- along with a lot of rest. it was a long road for me, because i developed pretty severe tendonitis -- in both feet -- along the way, so i really didn't get back to normal walking for almost two years. for much of that time, i couldn't work much and eventually closed down my antiques business. it was a very depressing time.

on top of birks and rest, i eventually got physical therapy (for several months) and eased gradually into a stretching and strengthening program at home. other things that i think contributed in the long run to helping me get better: the night splint, lots of icing, an air cast when the tendonitis was at its worst, and, without question, the support of this board! homeopathic medicines also helped me (if you go that route, you have to see a good homeopathic doctor, who will evaluate your whole self and prescribe medicines individually for you -- so my listing mine here wouldn't be appropriate).

it was all very gradual for me and took a lot of patience and endurance of pain. but i have my life back! with some good changes to boot. my husband and i moved to a place more conducive to walking (and i now walk every day with great joy!), and i'm in the process of opening my own antique store and getting back to work.

i consider myself 90% better -- some days feel like almost 100%. but i remain vigilant, and still search around for the best walking shoes for me and so forth. but most days any thought i need to give to my feet is pretty automatic now, and they don't occupy my mind every second, and they no longer depress me or give me the feeling i'm being held back in some way. compared with how i felt for two years, life now is wonderful, and i'm grateful every day that i'm no longer in pain and despair.

there probably are people who truly become 'cured' from pf -- maybe people who didn't have it for very long, or are very young and can heal better -- but they're out there living their lives and probably not lurking around message boards like this one. the vast majority DO get better, so you have every reason to be optimistic. of course i say this without knowing much about your case -- how long have you had it and what are you doing for it?
wishing you the best,
nancy

alan k on 1/18/02 at 08:53 (070368)

Me too, I'm better, a little slower than nancy, who was a little slower than Julie.

I had two years of pf and tts (actually, I can't remember exactly-- yippee!), and I was helped by the following things, in a rough, inexact order of importance:

1. Exercise (non-weightbearing)

2. Massage (Thai massage of entire lower body-- no massage directly on heel)

3. Birkenstocks (took being stranded at a conference with bad shoes before I would give them a real try-- must gradually adjust to them)

4. Thai herbal medicine (not available in the US, but I'm currently researching about commonly available substitutes)

5. After strengthening the feet over a few months time, walking on soft, uneven grass surfaces in very expensive, excellent sneakers was a dramatic therapy which finally killed of the pf once and for all (sort of: what Julie says in her post is word for word my situation, so I won't repeat)

Of course, heelspurs.com was extremely important as well, because it can guide you and keep you from doing dangerous, extreme things, as well as provide a wealth of options. Several healed people tried one thing after another, some worked, some didn't, some things were tried at just the right time and then exchanged for the next thing at just the right time. Eventually you will hit on the right combo.

The best news is: TIME IS ON YOUR SIDE!

The time will go by, like it or not, and there is nothing you can do about it, and usually we don't like that, but in this case it is a good thing.
Illnesses get sick and die like everyone else. Poor little plantar fasciitis, I feel sorry for him.

alan k

Re: I just needed some good news!

Lisa P on 1/18/02 at 09:27 (070372)

Thanks Julie, Nancy, and Alan for your posts. I really needed to hear something good. I just found heelspurs.com and it seemed that most of the things I read indicated that people had been fighting this affliction for long periods of time, and STILL experimenting.......

Maybe I just need more patience. I've just never had anything like this that I couldn't heal. And it teases you. It will get better, and just when you start to celebrate, the pain returns....It's also not an inexpensive injury. I shelled out big bucks for the custom orthotics, thinking as the pod said, that would solve my problem... Nope.

I haven't seen anything on this site about the Phase 4 Orthotics...Has anybody had any luck with those?
Thanks Lisa

PatC on 1/18/02 at 10:44 (070378)

Lisa, There have been alot of posts on the Phase 4 orthotics. You can do a search and view all of the past remarks about them.

Julie on 1/18/02 at 10:55 (070379)

Lisa, I thought you were new - I don't recall seeing posts from you before! So, welcome to heelspurs.com.

Do please tell us more about yourself. How long have you had pf? How bad is it? Have you established a good relationship with a podiatrist, and are you happy with him/her? What conservative treatments have you been using?

There is a great deal that you can do to help yourself. It's important that you inform yourself, which you can do here on this website, and that will enable you to involve yourself actively in your healing. You really do, as Nancy says, have every reason to be optimistic, but there are certain basic things you need to know (like not going barefoot, and wearing the right, supportive kind of shoes).

If your expensive custom orthotics haven't worked, it means there is something wrong with the way they were casted, or the way they were made. Take them back to whoever made them and insist that they be adjusted until they are right for you.

In my first post to you, I forgot to include amongst the 'things that helped' (because they have always been a part of my life and are so much second nature to me) my yoga foot exercises. They were also an important aspect of my healing. I've just re-posted them at Monte's request on a thread some way down - see 'Julie's exercises for Monte'.

If you're doing any stretching exercises, be careful. Dr Z said earlier today that 'all stretching for pf should be non-weight bearing' which eliminates the classic, oft-prescribed wall and stair exercises. I agree.

john h on 1/18/02 at 12:16 (070393)

Lisa: Stats are that of the estimated 6 million new PF patients each year that 90% are cured. The bottom 3% show up at a place like Scotts Board. I bet there are a lot ot 'A' type personaliites on this board.

nancy s. on 1/18/02 at 16:17 (070430)

oh alan, 'poor little plantar fasciitis.' yes, i sure do miss those worst days, when pf was my constant companion and he put violent-to-the-spirit voices in my head.

do you really think you're slower than me? ha, i mean in healing, not in general!

it sure is great to see you back on the board, alan. i love your unique perspective on things, tidbits of info that no one else would ever come up with, not to mention . . . your dry, spare sense of humor. sentences you posted even two years ago that made me laugh still pop into my head now and then.
nancy

janet a on 1/20/02 at 16:42 (070677)

Hello everyone....
I have been reading all of your e-mails in response to 'Anybody cured this problem successfully?'. I must say that I have gotten alot of good information from reading them. I experienced pf for the first time one week ago today. I have been limping and thirsting for information about this condition ever since. I visited a podiatrist on Wednesday-who confirmed - I do in fact have pf in my left foot. I requested an aggressive approach and received a hydrocortizone injection on my first drs. visit. I am also icing three times a day, wearing rigid 'accomodator' inserts in my shoes, wearing a night splint, and doing physical therapy exercises 3x a day. I guess what I am leading to is asking if anyone has been able to resume a normal jogging routine following a recovery from pf? Is it possible with the orthosis inserts or taping? I know that my first concern should be to recover enough to walk pain-free- but it is really important to know if I will ever be able to jog a mile or two. For those of you who will respond, thank-you.
Janet a

Julie on 1/18/02 at 04:12 (070354)

Hi Lisa

I was away when you posted your original message. Yes: I consider myself a 'success'. I had PF (onefoot, my left) for five months, starting in August 2000. With the help of my podiatrist and heelspurs.com I progressed more or less steadily until by January 2001 I was able to walk without pain. It took a little while to trust my improvement but I have been fine for the past year.

Briefly, the things that helped me (in no particular order) were rest (eliminating all recreational walking), taping, orthotics, icing when the inflammation was severe, attention to my footwear (Birkenstocks indoors, good trainers outdoors) and never going barefoot (though I now can, I don't very much).

I remain vigilant, believing that 'once a weakness, always a weakness'. I feel it would be foolish to forget about it and pretend it could never happen again, so I keep wearing the shoes that work for me. I also keep alert to twinges and take note of them. I don't push myself. But that's just me: 'cured' isn;t a word that figures in my vocabulary, though I know most people would prefer to think they are cured.

nancy s. on 1/18/02 at 07:17 (070357)

hi lisa, i'm sorry i missed your post the first time around. i feel that my foot problems have improved greatly (enormously), and i'd say i'm now managing them successfully. like julie, i don't feel comfortable with the term 'cured,' because i do have occasional days that aren't as good as most days.

i first got pf in my left foot -- very suddenly and very bad -- in the spring of 1999, and didn't get good medical help, though i tried. i finally found this website in december 1999, and began to learn a lot about pf and treatments to try for it. i started wearing birks almost exclusively, and they probably made the single biggest difference -- along with a lot of rest. it was a long road for me, because i developed pretty severe tendonitis -- in both feet -- along the way, so i really didn't get back to normal walking for almost two years. for much of that time, i couldn't work much and eventually closed down my antiques business. it was a very depressing time.

on top of birks and rest, i eventually got physical therapy (for several months) and eased gradually into a stretching and strengthening program at home. other things that i think contributed in the long run to helping me get better: the night splint, lots of icing, an air cast when the tendonitis was at its worst, and, without question, the support of this board! homeopathic medicines also helped me (if you go that route, you have to see a good homeopathic doctor, who will evaluate your whole self and prescribe medicines individually for you -- so my listing mine here wouldn't be appropriate).

it was all very gradual for me and took a lot of patience and endurance of pain. but i have my life back! with some good changes to boot. my husband and i moved to a place more conducive to walking (and i now walk every day with great joy!), and i'm in the process of opening my own antique store and getting back to work.

i consider myself 90% better -- some days feel like almost 100%. but i remain vigilant, and still search around for the best walking shoes for me and so forth. but most days any thought i need to give to my feet is pretty automatic now, and they don't occupy my mind every second, and they no longer depress me or give me the feeling i'm being held back in some way. compared with how i felt for two years, life now is wonderful, and i'm grateful every day that i'm no longer in pain and despair.

there probably are people who truly become 'cured' from pf -- maybe people who didn't have it for very long, or are very young and can heal better -- but they're out there living their lives and probably not lurking around message boards like this one. the vast majority DO get better, so you have every reason to be optimistic. of course i say this without knowing much about your case -- how long have you had it and what are you doing for it?
wishing you the best,
nancy

alan k on 1/18/02 at 08:53 (070368)

Me too, I'm better, a little slower than nancy, who was a little slower than Julie.

I had two years of pf and tts (actually, I can't remember exactly-- yippee!), and I was helped by the following things, in a rough, inexact order of importance:

1. Exercise (non-weightbearing)

2. Massage (Thai massage of entire lower body-- no massage directly on heel)

3. Birkenstocks (took being stranded at a conference with bad shoes before I would give them a real try-- must gradually adjust to them)

4. Thai herbal medicine (not available in the US, but I'm currently researching about commonly available substitutes)

5. After strengthening the feet over a few months time, walking on soft, uneven grass surfaces in very expensive, excellent sneakers was a dramatic therapy which finally killed of the pf once and for all (sort of: what Julie says in her post is word for word my situation, so I won't repeat)

Of course, heelspurs.com was extremely important as well, because it can guide you and keep you from doing dangerous, extreme things, as well as provide a wealth of options. Several healed people tried one thing after another, some worked, some didn't, some things were tried at just the right time and then exchanged for the next thing at just the right time. Eventually you will hit on the right combo.

The best news is: TIME IS ON YOUR SIDE!

The time will go by, like it or not, and there is nothing you can do about it, and usually we don't like that, but in this case it is a good thing.
Illnesses get sick and die like everyone else. Poor little plantar fasciitis, I feel sorry for him.

alan k

Lisa P on 1/18/02 at 09:27 (070372)

Thanks Julie, Nancy, and Alan for your posts. I really needed to hear something good. I just found heelspurs.com and it seemed that most of the things I read indicated that people had been fighting this affliction for long periods of time, and STILL experimenting.......

Maybe I just need more patience. I've just never had anything like this that I couldn't heal. And it teases you. It will get better, and just when you start to celebrate, the pain returns....It's also not an inexpensive injury. I shelled out big bucks for the custom orthotics, thinking as the pod said, that would solve my problem... Nope.

I haven't seen anything on this site about the Phase 4 Orthotics...Has anybody had any luck with those?
Thanks Lisa

PatC on 1/18/02 at 10:44 (070378)

Lisa, There have been alot of posts on the Phase 4 orthotics. You can do a search and view all of the past remarks about them.

Julie on 1/18/02 at 10:55 (070379)

Lisa, I thought you were new - I don't recall seeing posts from you before! So, welcome to heelspurs.com.

Do please tell us more about yourself. How long have you had pf? How bad is it? Have you established a good relationship with a podiatrist, and are you happy with him/her? What conservative treatments have you been using?

There is a great deal that you can do to help yourself. It's important that you inform yourself, which you can do here on this website, and that will enable you to involve yourself actively in your healing. You really do, as Nancy says, have every reason to be optimistic, but there are certain basic things you need to know (like not going barefoot, and wearing the right, supportive kind of shoes).

If your expensive custom orthotics haven't worked, it means there is something wrong with the way they were casted, or the way they were made. Take them back to whoever made them and insist that they be adjusted until they are right for you.

In my first post to you, I forgot to include amongst the 'things that helped' (because they have always been a part of my life and are so much second nature to me) my yoga foot exercises. They were also an important aspect of my healing. I've just re-posted them at Monte's request on a thread some way down - see 'Julie's exercises for Monte'.

If you're doing any stretching exercises, be careful. Dr Z said earlier today that 'all stretching for pf should be non-weight bearing' which eliminates the classic, oft-prescribed wall and stair exercises. I agree.

john h on 1/18/02 at 12:16 (070393)

Lisa: Stats are that of the estimated 6 million new PF patients each year that 90% are cured. The bottom 3% show up at a place like Scotts Board. I bet there are a lot ot 'A' type personaliites on this board.

nancy s. on 1/18/02 at 16:17 (070430)

oh alan, 'poor little plantar fasciitis.' yes, i sure do miss those worst days, when pf was my constant companion and he put violent-to-the-spirit voices in my head.

do you really think you're slower than me? ha, i mean in healing, not in general!

it sure is great to see you back on the board, alan. i love your unique perspective on things, tidbits of info that no one else would ever come up with, not to mention . . . your dry, spare sense of humor. sentences you posted even two years ago that made me laugh still pop into my head now and then.
nancy

janet a on 1/20/02 at 16:42 (070677)

Hello everyone....
I have been reading all of your e-mails in response to 'Anybody cured this problem successfully?'. I must say that I have gotten alot of good information from reading them. I experienced pf for the first time one week ago today. I have been limping and thirsting for information about this condition ever since. I visited a podiatrist on Wednesday-who confirmed - I do in fact have pf in my left foot. I requested an aggressive approach and received a hydrocortizone injection on my first drs. visit. I am also icing three times a day, wearing rigid 'accomodator' inserts in my shoes, wearing a night splint, and doing physical therapy exercises 3x a day. I guess what I am leading to is asking if anyone has been able to resume a normal jogging routine following a recovery from pf? Is it possible with the orthosis inserts or taping? I know that my first concern should be to recover enough to walk pain-free- but it is really important to know if I will ever be able to jog a mile or two. For those of you who will respond, thank-you.
Janet a