Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Heel Pain

Posted by Carol F on 1/18/02 at 09:21 (070371)

Hello Doctors -

I have been having problems with both of my feet for the past 1 1/2 yrs. I have a neuroma on my left foot between the 2nd and 3rd toes. I first noticed this two years ago after starting a walking club at work. The top of my foot would swell and bruise. Orthopedic surgeon did tarsal tunnel surgery which helped for about 6-7 months but then systems returned and 2nd toe is now somewhat crooked. I then went to a podiatrist who decided to try a 'new' treatment of injecting the neuroma with alcohol. I had approximately 8 injections. Pain would subside some and then eventually return. I am currently experiencing less pain that before treatments, however, whenever I ride my stationary bike or walk, pain becomes worse. I was also diagnosed as having heel spurs on my right foot. Same podiatrist injected me approximately 4 times with cortisone. Had some relief for a day or two and then pain would return.

I then, decided to go to another podiatrist. Second podiatrist told me to try using custom made orthotics. I have been using these for the past 5 months with not much relief. I walked 1 mile yesterday and can barely walk this morning, the pain is so bad. I have gained some weight, which I think may be contributing to the problem, but had pain before the weight gain. I have tried stretching, ice and get some relief but then pain comes back just as bad. Someone I work with said they had a heel spur and their podiatrist treated them with sound waves. He said the sound waves were supposed to break apart the heel spur. He said he has had 3 treatments and the treatments along with wearing Rockports have rendered him virtually pain free. Is sound wave treatment an effective method for treating heel spurs and is it safe? Thank you for your attention.

Re: Heel Pain

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/18/02 at 13:09 (070397)

There are no sound waves that break up heel spurs. What you friend could be referring to is ESWT. This is sound waves that micro-trauma the plantar fascia at its insertion and allow the body to heal the torn insertional fascia with new healthy tissue.

Re: Heel Pain

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/18/02 at 13:09 (070397)

There are no sound waves that break up heel spurs. What you friend could be referring to is ESWT. This is sound waves that micro-trauma the plantar fascia at its insertion and allow the body to heal the torn insertional fascia with new healthy tissue.