Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Post Surgery: Massaging out Scar Tissue on Plantar

Posted by Scott K on 1/18/02 at 11:10 (070387)

I had surgery a few months back and appear to have a bit of scar tissue on the tendon where the surgery was, just in front of the heel. If I wanted to try to work this out, what would be the best way? Thanks

Re: Post Surgery: Massaging out Scar Tissue on Plantar

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/19/02 at 15:04 (070534)

Which tendon was the surgery on? Deep tissue massage is a good way to help---just need to know that if you are using a lot of pressure to massage, it is not an area in which excess pressure my be placed on a nerve. Other things that can help scar tissue--ultrasound, injections of the enzyme, Wydase and or 'cortisone.'
Ed

Scott K on 1/22/02 at 08:07 (070846)

It was on the tendon going along the bottom of my foot-- 'the arch', just in front of my heel. I do not know the technical name. I have been rolling my foot over a can to try to massage it out--- is this a good way for 'deep tissue' massage, or is there a better way to massage it myself?

Thanks

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/19/02 at 15:04 (070534)

Which tendon was the surgery on? Deep tissue massage is a good way to help---just need to know that if you are using a lot of pressure to massage, it is not an area in which excess pressure my be placed on a nerve. Other things that can help scar tissue--ultrasound, injections of the enzyme, Wydase and or 'cortisone.'
Ed

Scott K on 1/22/02 at 08:07 (070846)

It was on the tendon going along the bottom of my foot-- 'the arch', just in front of my heel. I do not know the technical name. I have been rolling my foot over a can to try to massage it out--- is this a good way for 'deep tissue' massage, or is there a better way to massage it myself?

Thanks