Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Tendanitis in ankle

Posted by lindy t. on 1/18/02 at 13:15 (070400)

I have been off work (preschool teacher) for 2 months with a tendenitis condition in my inside ankle tendon. Xray shows a spur there. I have been in a cast for a month. Now using a velcro boot. Having physical therapy 2x a week, ultrasound. It gets agravated when I stand on my foot too long. Tried working 2 days this week, but the walking and standing was too much. Doctor (podiatrist) said I should do light duty (limited standing) . They can't accomodate that at my work. My question is- The doc says he might try a cortizone shot. I have heard of so many side effects, and I am on blood pressure meds and high cholesterol meds. Should I get another opinion? (belong to Kaiser Permanente) or should I ask again about the success of surgery?

Re: Tendanitis in ankle

paula on 1/18/02 at 14:56 (070418)

i am not a doctor. what helped my tendonitis was seeing a physical therapist who specialized in feet and getting eccentric ( i think that's the term) exercises and cortizone driven in with iontopheresis. it wasnt a shot. it didn't hurt. then my tendonitis came back again then i did it again and it's gone again or at least so much better that i don't notice it. oh forgot to say it took more than one treatment each time.

Pam B on 1/18/02 at 18:35 (070442)

Be careful with cortisone....you should read about it before you do it and make sure your doc knows of your other health conditions.....in my reading I find it can create problems with tendonitis.....I also have this condition and am no doc but can tell you that I know your pain.....last week they gave me oral steroids, predisone dose pack.......I got the first day in which was six pills but when I woke up the following morning my head was killing me and felt sort of foggy in addition to shaking....god, it looked like I had parkinsons disease.....they stopped it immediatley.......I also just came out of a cast for PF and it did not do a thing for the tendonitis.....good luck to you, Pam B

Pam B on 1/18/02 at 18:54 (070447)

If you scroll down to the bottom of this page where it says more messages under 'Ask the Docs' you will see a message posted in here about tendonitis and cortisone shots with a reply from DR Z......

paula on 1/18/02 at 14:56 (070418)

i am not a doctor. what helped my tendonitis was seeing a physical therapist who specialized in feet and getting eccentric ( i think that's the term) exercises and cortizone driven in with iontopheresis. it wasnt a shot. it didn't hurt. then my tendonitis came back again then i did it again and it's gone again or at least so much better that i don't notice it. oh forgot to say it took more than one treatment each time.

Pam B on 1/18/02 at 18:35 (070442)

Be careful with cortisone....you should read about it before you do it and make sure your doc knows of your other health conditions.....in my reading I find it can create problems with tendonitis.....I also have this condition and am no doc but can tell you that I know your pain.....last week they gave me oral steroids, predisone dose pack.......I got the first day in which was six pills but when I woke up the following morning my head was killing me and felt sort of foggy in addition to shaking....god, it looked like I had parkinsons disease.....they stopped it immediatley.......I also just came out of a cast for PF and it did not do a thing for the tendonitis.....good luck to you, Pam B

Pam B on 1/18/02 at 18:54 (070447)

If you scroll down to the bottom of this page where it says more messages under 'Ask the Docs' you will see a message posted in here about tendonitis and cortisone shots with a reply from DR Z......