Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Types of physical therapy

Posted by Renee H on 1/18/02 at 15:42 (070426)

What types of physical therapy have people tried that have or have not worked for TTS and PF. I keep hearing about people doing physical therapy but they usually don't say what kind. I had ultrasound done on my arch. Didn't help much. My doctor is now talking about ion feresis.

Also I just read someone's post saying that the stair calf / heel stretch hurts TTS and PF because it's weight bearing. I always thought it was supposed to help and I've been doing it every day now.

Renee

Re: Types of physical therapy

Ron B on 1/18/02 at 19:20 (070452)

In my case the physical therapy was actually 'treatments' given by a physical therapist. I was given ultrasound on my inner ankles along with ice treatment. A small cup of rounded ice was applied in circular motion to my inner ankles. This became painful after about 5 minutes and was discontinued after the third treatment.
I believe the ion treatment you are referring to is lontophoresis. Lontophoresis is an anti-inflammatory treatment delivered with an electrical charge. I saw improvement after the fifth visit. This uses a plus and minus electrode on either side of the ankle to draw the medicine through the skin into the inflamed area. Medicine is placed on one patch in the area with the most pain, in my case the inner ankle. There is only minor discomfort, and the treatment lasts about 20 minutes (they were able to do both of my feet at the same time with this small device). This is an option to cortisone shots, of which I have read can be painful and do not have a high success rate. I would recommend this to all whom have not yet tried it. Good luck with your treatment.

Re: Ooops its Lontophoresis

Ron B on 1/19/02 at 09:57 (070496)

Sorry about the misspelling. It is lontophoresis. Here is the web site where I have gotten info on Physical therapy treatment: http://www.chehalempt.com/Anklefoot/tarsultun_rehab.htm

Re: Ooops AGAIN its Iontophoresis

Ron B on 1/19/02 at 10:12 (070497)

For some reason I keep typing an L when I mean I. It is IONTOPHORESIS. The phoresis means to carry or transmit.

Carmen H on 1/19/02 at 19:33 (070571)

physiacl therapy is different for each case and each individual person. When I went they did Ion./calf stretches/massage and ultrasound. Unfortunately nothing reeally made a difference except the stretching.
do you have a pod or doc that is recommending PT? If so they should be in touch with your condition and should recommend what you need for your case.

paula on 1/19/02 at 20:26 (070585)

i think you mean iontopheresis and it worked real well for me. i've had it done by therapists who didn't seem to do it to any effect at all and also by therapists who just did it great pain almost all gone when they did it. also there are therapists who really know feet i have found and others who seem to not know feet so well. and oh yeah, ive had some therapist who made me worse. it's like the rest of the medical profession i guess: the good, the bad and the ugly.

Renee H on 1/21/02 at 11:13 (070761)

Thanks for all of your info. Yes Carmen I have been going to a pod. He was the one suggesting the PT. However, I don't have much faith in him after our last visit so I think I'll be seeking another opinion and have them set up the PT. I can't believe how many doctors I've been to in one year and I'm not any better. I'll let you know what they do to me.

Renee

Re: Great website

Renee H on 1/21/02 at 14:29 (070776)

That is a great website. It's the first I've seen that explains more than one procedure that can be done. Almost gives a person hope. Great section on PF too. That's more my problem than the TTS this month.

Thanx

Carmen H on 1/21/02 at 14:38 (070777)

YES do keep us posted....and many of us understand the frustration with no improvement after sooo many doctor visits. Myself included. Hang in there!

Ron B on 1/18/02 at 19:20 (070452)

In my case the physical therapy was actually 'treatments' given by a physical therapist. I was given ultrasound on my inner ankles along with ice treatment. A small cup of rounded ice was applied in circular motion to my inner ankles. This became painful after about 5 minutes and was discontinued after the third treatment.
I believe the ion treatment you are referring to is lontophoresis. Lontophoresis is an anti-inflammatory treatment delivered with an electrical charge. I saw improvement after the fifth visit. This uses a plus and minus electrode on either side of the ankle to draw the medicine through the skin into the inflamed area. Medicine is placed on one patch in the area with the most pain, in my case the inner ankle. There is only minor discomfort, and the treatment lasts about 20 minutes (they were able to do both of my feet at the same time with this small device). This is an option to cortisone shots, of which I have read can be painful and do not have a high success rate. I would recommend this to all whom have not yet tried it. Good luck with your treatment.

Re: Ooops its Lontophoresis

Ron B on 1/19/02 at 09:57 (070496)

Sorry about the misspelling. It is lontophoresis. Here is the web site where I have gotten info on Physical therapy treatment: http://www.chehalempt.com/Anklefoot/tarsultun_rehab.htm

Re: Ooops AGAIN its Iontophoresis

Ron B on 1/19/02 at 10:12 (070497)

For some reason I keep typing an L when I mean I. It is IONTOPHORESIS. The phoresis means to carry or transmit.

Carmen H on 1/19/02 at 19:33 (070571)

physiacl therapy is different for each case and each individual person. When I went they did Ion./calf stretches/massage and ultrasound. Unfortunately nothing reeally made a difference except the stretching.
do you have a pod or doc that is recommending PT? If so they should be in touch with your condition and should recommend what you need for your case.

paula on 1/19/02 at 20:26 (070585)

i think you mean iontopheresis and it worked real well for me. i've had it done by therapists who didn't seem to do it to any effect at all and also by therapists who just did it great pain almost all gone when they did it. also there are therapists who really know feet i have found and others who seem to not know feet so well. and oh yeah, ive had some therapist who made me worse. it's like the rest of the medical profession i guess: the good, the bad and the ugly.

Renee H on 1/21/02 at 11:13 (070761)

Thanks for all of your info. Yes Carmen I have been going to a pod. He was the one suggesting the PT. However, I don't have much faith in him after our last visit so I think I'll be seeking another opinion and have them set up the PT. I can't believe how many doctors I've been to in one year and I'm not any better. I'll let you know what they do to me.

Renee

Re: Great website

Renee H on 1/21/02 at 14:29 (070776)

That is a great website. It's the first I've seen that explains more than one procedure that can be done. Almost gives a person hope. Great section on PF too. That's more my problem than the TTS this month.

Thanx

Carmen H on 1/21/02 at 14:38 (070777)

YES do keep us posted....and many of us understand the frustration with no improvement after sooo many doctor visits. Myself included. Hang in there!