Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

It's good to no you are not alone....

Posted by Christy D. on 1/18/02 at 17:36 (070438)

Hi - It's always good to know that you are not alone. I have had MAJOR foot pain now for 1 1/2 years. I've been dianosed with heel spurs in BOTH heels. My right foot is worse than my left. I fit NONE of the regular characteristics of heel spurs. I am active, young, no flat feet, no high arch, not fat. This has stumped me beyond reason. I had a partial PF release which did nothing. Had a full PF release which was successful, but to find out I have tarsel tunnel syndrome bad! I am not a baby to pain, and don't even flinch after 9 cortisone shots in each foot! The doctor wonders if I can even feel pain! But I'm telling you, this TTS makes PF look like nothing to me. When I walk it feels like my bloody foot/ankle is broken. At night it's so bad, I am just short of crawling. If you touch my foot a certain way the nerves shoot all over the place and sometimes it feels like my toes will fly right off my foot. So for all you people out there suffering with this...you have my complete and total understanding of just how miserable this is. I am so tired of pain, I could scream! I have declined any narcotic pain killers as I would be completely addicted by this time. I see the doctor next week regarding surgery to fix this problem as I can no longer tolerate being in pain every day for the last year and half. I pray for all of you to find a solution that best fits you. I have heard that there is light at the end of the tunnel...hee hee...Good luck!

Re: It's good to no you are not alone....

Pam B on 1/18/02 at 21:44 (070458)

Nine shots in each foot......that is not good at all and can surely add to your problems......my understanding from my pod is three is the limit most of the time and sometimes four, but nine, I have never heard of that many.......it can cause so many things to go wrong......please, do yourself a favor and get a second and third opinion if you have too but be careful cause cortisone is not a cure all for these problems and can cause more problems than you already have......we feel for your pain cause we are all there with you......good luck

Re: Please, don't rush into this

BrianG on 1/19/02 at 12:49 (070522)

Hi Christy,

Just wondering if you've been following this board for long? There are many people in your same position, and sometimes additional surgery can be the last thing you want. It does not always have the results you would like, and you can actually end up with far worse pain. Take a few minutes to scroll down and read some of Tammie's posts. Unfortunatly, she is the poster lady for surgeries gone wrong.

About the pain meds, just because you take them for legitmate pain, does not mean you will become an addict. You will not crave them, and will not get high from them. What you will get is some relief from the pain, which will buy you some time to look into something other than surgery. If you do still need sugery, you will have had the time to get some different opinions and meet some different doctors. When your foot problems are taken care of, you will then have the doctor slowly wean you off the pain meds, with very little physical difficulty. I know there is a 'stigma' about pain meds in this country, but I would not let it keep you from getting some relief. You do not have to tell everyone you know what you are taking. It's between you and your doctor.

I hope I have given you something else to think about, other than surgery at this point. Please don't let the pain force you into making a decision you may regret later. Good luck

BCG

KerryR on 1/30/02 at 16:18 (071969)

I to have dealt with a lot of foot pain. I've been a runner for many years and now I can barely run. Although, I was never diagnosed with heel spurs I've had problems with the plantar fascitis for many years and now have been dealing with Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome, enough that I had my foot casted about 2 years ago. I'm trying to where my orthotics but find them painful to wear, my arches are so sore? Do you think maybe that is due to all the years of lack of arch support? It is very depressing,I'm a physically active person, and now I barely can walk through the mall.

BrianG on 1/30/02 at 18:55 (071983)

Hi Kerry,

I know all about orthotics that cannot be worn. I have 2 pairs collecting dust. I also have a pair now that I wear every day. I'd suggest another opinion, since your first doctor didn't help you. Be careful of surgery, too many people here that made that mistake already. Make sure you really need it, too many doctors live to cut! Keep looking, and rest your feet when you can. Good luck

BCG

PS Sorry I couldn't answer your question on arch support. You may want to start a new topic. More people will see it.

Pam B on 1/18/02 at 21:44 (070458)

Nine shots in each foot......that is not good at all and can surely add to your problems......my understanding from my pod is three is the limit most of the time and sometimes four, but nine, I have never heard of that many.......it can cause so many things to go wrong......please, do yourself a favor and get a second and third opinion if you have too but be careful cause cortisone is not a cure all for these problems and can cause more problems than you already have......we feel for your pain cause we are all there with you......good luck

Re: Please, don't rush into this

BrianG on 1/19/02 at 12:49 (070522)

Hi Christy,

Just wondering if you've been following this board for long? There are many people in your same position, and sometimes additional surgery can be the last thing you want. It does not always have the results you would like, and you can actually end up with far worse pain. Take a few minutes to scroll down and read some of Tammie's posts. Unfortunatly, she is the poster lady for surgeries gone wrong.

About the pain meds, just because you take them for legitmate pain, does not mean you will become an addict. You will not crave them, and will not get high from them. What you will get is some relief from the pain, which will buy you some time to look into something other than surgery. If you do still need sugery, you will have had the time to get some different opinions and meet some different doctors. When your foot problems are taken care of, you will then have the doctor slowly wean you off the pain meds, with very little physical difficulty. I know there is a 'stigma' about pain meds in this country, but I would not let it keep you from getting some relief. You do not have to tell everyone you know what you are taking. It's between you and your doctor.

I hope I have given you something else to think about, other than surgery at this point. Please don't let the pain force you into making a decision you may regret later. Good luck

BCG

KerryR on 1/30/02 at 16:18 (071969)

I to have dealt with a lot of foot pain. I've been a runner for many years and now I can barely run. Although, I was never diagnosed with heel spurs I've had problems with the plantar fascitis for many years and now have been dealing with Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome, enough that I had my foot casted about 2 years ago. I'm trying to where my orthotics but find them painful to wear, my arches are so sore? Do you think maybe that is due to all the years of lack of arch support? It is very depressing,I'm a physically active person, and now I barely can walk through the mall.

BrianG on 1/30/02 at 18:55 (071983)

Hi Kerry,

I know all about orthotics that cannot be worn. I have 2 pairs collecting dust. I also have a pair now that I wear every day. I'd suggest another opinion, since your first doctor didn't help you. Be careful of surgery, too many people here that made that mistake already. Make sure you really need it, too many doctors live to cut! Keep looking, and rest your feet when you can. Good luck

BCG

PS Sorry I couldn't answer your question on arch support. You may want to start a new topic. More people will see it.