Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

leg length discrepency adjustment

Posted by Sandy H. on 1/18/02 at 19:15 (070451)

Hi, my pod suggested some orthotics like this ''Foot orthoses will have incorporated into them a slight heel lift on the right side to address the leg length discrepancy.'' A chiropractor I then went to see said this wasn't a good idea cos my left leg was longer than the right but not enough to have to be corrected. Anyone had good/bad experience with this type of orthotic before I waste money on them?

Re: leg length discrepency adjustment

BG CPed on 1/18/02 at 22:12 (070465)

Yes before you pay for or get anybody to make an orthotic ask both of your Dr to explain to you and show you the difference and how they determined it. Then ask them if it is a functional or structural leg length discrepancy. They are two very different conditions, and as such treated with or without a lift. If its just a leg length then have them provide you with a 1/4' heel lift to put in your shoe, should cost $5. Wear it for an hour forst day 2 hours second atc. If you feel better, reduce symptoms keep wearing it. Sometimes poor foot function AND a lld can combine to cause problems. If it is a true lld then a small lift may not fix it but should show some improvement

Carmen H on 1/23/02 at 07:36 (070955)

I have been told I have leg length discrepancy as well but I was also told that almost everyone has a little bit of difference at some point or other.
Sounds like your chiro was on the right track...

BG CPed on 1/18/02 at 22:12 (070465)

Yes before you pay for or get anybody to make an orthotic ask both of your Dr to explain to you and show you the difference and how they determined it. Then ask them if it is a functional or structural leg length discrepancy. They are two very different conditions, and as such treated with or without a lift. If its just a leg length then have them provide you with a 1/4' heel lift to put in your shoe, should cost $5. Wear it for an hour forst day 2 hours second atc. If you feel better, reduce symptoms keep wearing it. Sometimes poor foot function AND a lld can combine to cause problems. If it is a true lld then a small lift may not fix it but should show some improvement

Carmen H on 1/23/02 at 07:36 (070955)

I have been told I have leg length discrepancy as well but I was also told that almost everyone has a little bit of difference at some point or other.
Sounds like your chiro was on the right track...