Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

really bad days after really good days

Posted by rebecca h on 1/18/02 at 21:04 (070455)

Is this a common occurance with the rest of my foot friends? Seems like every time I have a sortof good foot day I tend to overdo it, thinking 'hey my feet really must be getting better!' Then the next day they feel worse than ever. Why don't I ever learn?

Re: really bad days after really good days

Janet C. on 1/19/02 at 00:39 (070470)

Hi Rebecca,

I think we've all done that! (Over, and over, and over again!) It's so very difficult to find the right balance between pushing ourselves to do as much as we can, and not over-doing it! I've been dealing with this for over ten years now, and I STILL haven't learned my limitations!

Wishing you better days ~ Janet

JudyS on 1/19/02 at 07:37 (070473)

Yes, Rebecca, this definately is not unusual. Or even having a bad day after a good day when you had no increased activity. Or a good day or two that follow a bad day. Kinda like living with a moody teenager!

Re: really bad days after really good days-afterthought

JudyS on 1/19/02 at 07:41 (070474)

Just an afterthought, Rebecca. When I started to have just a few good hours followed by the occasional good day - days that eventually increased in frequency, I finally realized that that was the healing process - that it wasn't going to be overnight just because of one good day. I definately still have my limits but I can at least function like a real person these days. Hang in there - it sounds like you might be on the right road.

Carole C on 1/19/02 at 07:53 (070476)

Aw!! I'm so sorry to hear this, Rebecca.

Yes, I have had the same thing happen, but I try to do less than I think I can do, now. That helps. It's very aggravating when people ask me if I can do this or that, and I have to say 'I think so but I'd better wait before I try it'. That seems to be the way PF is for me, though.

Carole C

Re: You said it well, Judy!

Suzanne D on 1/19/02 at 08:39 (070482)

...concerning the feet AND the teenagers! :-)

Rebecca, I hope you begin to improve again soon! I know I had a really good day Thursday, then not so great yesterday, and this morning I seem to have come down with some virus - aching, sore throat, chills, etc. And my feet hurt. Hmmm....

We DO have about 5 inches of really pretty snow which fell in the night!

Carmen H on 1/19/02 at 11:03 (070499)

feel better soon Suzanne!!!!!
Stay warm and take your Echinacea. ;-)
Carmen

Laurie R on 1/19/02 at 11:13 (070502)

Dear Rebecca, This is so very common . I can not tell you how many times I thought I was better and I would over do it ... Oh how I would pay dearly for it ... Sometimes you just never know ... I injured my foot 2 years and 7 months ago , since the begining it has been up and down .. Their are still things we have to do in our everyday life pain or no pain .... I swear their were times I thought I was cured , then I would go and do something and I would be worse off then I was before I had done it ...

Hang in there ..... my very best to you , Laurie R

Re: Thanks, Carmen!

Suzanne D on 1/19/02 at 11:33 (070510)

I just finished some chicken noodle soup and took some Vitamin C.

Thanks for caring! :-)

PatC on 1/19/02 at 12:35 (070517)

That is my life story. Every time I think I have this problem licked, I overdo and back it comes. I think I'm learning one baby step at a time.

Beverly on 1/19/02 at 14:20 (070531)

Absolutely. And if I could redo one thing in this journey of foot and ankle pain it would be not to overdo it when I was feeling better. I feel sure that is what led to the ankle complications I have today. I began with garden variety PF. I no longer allow myself to overdo it, but it was a long process towards getting that much self-discipline.
Beverly

Paula on 1/19/02 at 16:31 (070555)

Sounds like to me that you hit on the secret. Yes, we tend to really over do it and go backwards and not forward. No, I doubt we ever really do learn either. I guess it feels so good to feel good and there is always so many things that need to get done. And when you feel bad, things pile up.....Let's pray for just having more good than bad days.

JudyS on 1/20/02 at 11:04 (070645)

This is going to sound odd, I know, but I hope you all will bear with me......
After 3 years of this PF nonsense and a year of very slowly getting better, I have to say that I'm not convinced that overdoing things on a 'good day' is the only cause of having a 'bad day'. Sometimes I'll have a bad day and look back a day or two and find absolutely nothing I did that would be considered overdoing. Conversely, I may have an active day on my feet, fully expect an ensuing bad day or two.....and not have them! For me it seemed there was no predicting what PF was going to do.
One thing I know for sure that I've learned.......too many times I 'backed off' of activity too much. That sounds odd, doesn't it? But it falls in to that gray area we all know so well - how much is too much? It's a matter of using muscles/tendons enough to maintain strength and avoid atrophy (which really does lead to too much soreness when we try to resume activity) but not using them so much as to not allow healing.
Tightrope, anyone? :)

Suzanne D on 1/20/02 at 11:17 (070650)

What you wrote makes sense to me, Judy! I had some bad days during our Christmas break from school recently, and I really couldn't understand that as I was not on my feet as much as when I am at school. Friday night I was unusually tired, and one foot hurt worse than it has in a long time -the sharp stabbing pains with no way to move it to get relief. Then yesterday morning I woke up with 'the flu' - or something like it - and my foot is not hurting that much. Or maybe since my head and my throat feel so bad, I am not noticing as much!

Anyway, I agree with your observation!

John h on 1/20/02 at 11:27 (070651)

I would agree with your comments Judy. Certainly I can never tie a bad day with certainity to something I did. I can do something like climb a mountain and have no problem at all. We all respond differently and I continue to say that what we all call PF is a number of problems of which some if us have many and some of us have only one or two.

Julie on 1/20/02 at 14:01 (070661)

I think so too, Judy and John. Those muscles, ligaments and tendons do have to be used. Apart from that, I know I turned a sort of corner a year ago when I said 'the hell with it' and took off my shoes and walked barefoot along the beach in India with my feet in the sea. I didn't suffer more than a tad for it, foot-wise, but the emotional boost it gave me carried me forward and I never looked back. It's difficult to know when the 'right' moment comes to push the boat out a bit, but doing it can make a huge difference psychologically, and hence in every other way.

And John, I think your mountain-climb last year is a good example of this too don't you?.

wendyn on 1/20/02 at 16:27 (070673)

Speaking of this....

Rebecca!!!

Are you up out of that chair yet?

JudyS on 1/20/02 at 17:49 (070684)

Another excellent point you make, Julie, and it's one of my favorite angles regarding PF. Somewhat like you, I feel that I REALLY (sorry Elliot) turned a corner when, while sitting in my recliner one day last January, and having a seriously bad emotional January, I finally said to mysself 'Enough is enough, I refuse to be a total victim anymore.' And I got out of the chair and took charge. Someone posted here at some point, and that post was dug up a week or two ago, that the biggest problem we can have with PF is when PF controls our minds. Amen to that.

rebecca h on 1/20/02 at 18:40 (070696)

yes. completely. walking around the house very very very slowly.

Julie on 1/21/02 at 03:09 (070724)

Yes, Judy. That 'PF mindset' is a real bugger, isn't it? Your bringing that up sent me back to where I was just over a year ago when the very thought of having to walk anywhere filled me with trepidation. And I remember having a quarrel with Klaus in the middle of Berlin in November 2000 - he wanted to walk back to the hotel (about five blocks) and I almost cried at the prospect and insisted on taking a bus.

I'm not sure how long that mindset would have gone on had I not, luckily, turned the corner when I did. But I'm as glad to be rid of it as I am of the PF pain. Gladder.

Janet C. on 1/19/02 at 00:39 (070470)

Hi Rebecca,

I think we've all done that! (Over, and over, and over again!) It's so very difficult to find the right balance between pushing ourselves to do as much as we can, and not over-doing it! I've been dealing with this for over ten years now, and I STILL haven't learned my limitations!

Wishing you better days ~ Janet

JudyS on 1/19/02 at 07:37 (070473)

Yes, Rebecca, this definately is not unusual. Or even having a bad day after a good day when you had no increased activity. Or a good day or two that follow a bad day. Kinda like living with a moody teenager!

Re: really bad days after really good days-afterthought

JudyS on 1/19/02 at 07:41 (070474)

Just an afterthought, Rebecca. When I started to have just a few good hours followed by the occasional good day - days that eventually increased in frequency, I finally realized that that was the healing process - that it wasn't going to be overnight just because of one good day. I definately still have my limits but I can at least function like a real person these days. Hang in there - it sounds like you might be on the right road.

Carole C on 1/19/02 at 07:53 (070476)

Aw!! I'm so sorry to hear this, Rebecca.

Yes, I have had the same thing happen, but I try to do less than I think I can do, now. That helps. It's very aggravating when people ask me if I can do this or that, and I have to say 'I think so but I'd better wait before I try it'. That seems to be the way PF is for me, though.

Carole C

Suzanne D on 1/19/02 at 08:39 (070482)

...concerning the feet AND the teenagers! :-)

Rebecca, I hope you begin to improve again soon! I know I had a really good day Thursday, then not so great yesterday, and this morning I seem to have come down with some virus - aching, sore throat, chills, etc. And my feet hurt. Hmmm....

We DO have about 5 inches of really pretty snow which fell in the night!

Carmen H on 1/19/02 at 11:03 (070499)

feel better soon Suzanne!!!!!
Stay warm and take your Echinacea. ;-)
Carmen

Laurie R on 1/19/02 at 11:13 (070502)

Dear Rebecca, This is so very common . I can not tell you how many times I thought I was better and I would over do it ... Oh how I would pay dearly for it ... Sometimes you just never know ... I injured my foot 2 years and 7 months ago , since the begining it has been up and down .. Their are still things we have to do in our everyday life pain or no pain .... I swear their were times I thought I was cured , then I would go and do something and I would be worse off then I was before I had done it ...

Hang in there ..... my very best to you , Laurie R

Re: Thanks, Carmen!

Suzanne D on 1/19/02 at 11:33 (070510)

I just finished some chicken noodle soup and took some Vitamin C.

Thanks for caring! :-)

PatC on 1/19/02 at 12:35 (070517)

That is my life story. Every time I think I have this problem licked, I overdo and back it comes. I think I'm learning one baby step at a time.

Beverly on 1/19/02 at 14:20 (070531)

Absolutely. And if I could redo one thing in this journey of foot and ankle pain it would be not to overdo it when I was feeling better. I feel sure that is what led to the ankle complications I have today. I began with garden variety PF. I no longer allow myself to overdo it, but it was a long process towards getting that much self-discipline.
Beverly

Paula on 1/19/02 at 16:31 (070555)

Sounds like to me that you hit on the secret. Yes, we tend to really over do it and go backwards and not forward. No, I doubt we ever really do learn either. I guess it feels so good to feel good and there is always so many things that need to get done. And when you feel bad, things pile up.....Let's pray for just having more good than bad days.

JudyS on 1/20/02 at 11:04 (070645)

This is going to sound odd, I know, but I hope you all will bear with me......
After 3 years of this PF nonsense and a year of very slowly getting better, I have to say that I'm not convinced that overdoing things on a 'good day' is the only cause of having a 'bad day'. Sometimes I'll have a bad day and look back a day or two and find absolutely nothing I did that would be considered overdoing. Conversely, I may have an active day on my feet, fully expect an ensuing bad day or two.....and not have them! For me it seemed there was no predicting what PF was going to do.
One thing I know for sure that I've learned.......too many times I 'backed off' of activity too much. That sounds odd, doesn't it? But it falls in to that gray area we all know so well - how much is too much? It's a matter of using muscles/tendons enough to maintain strength and avoid atrophy (which really does lead to too much soreness when we try to resume activity) but not using them so much as to not allow healing.
Tightrope, anyone? :)

Suzanne D on 1/20/02 at 11:17 (070650)

What you wrote makes sense to me, Judy! I had some bad days during our Christmas break from school recently, and I really couldn't understand that as I was not on my feet as much as when I am at school. Friday night I was unusually tired, and one foot hurt worse than it has in a long time -the sharp stabbing pains with no way to move it to get relief. Then yesterday morning I woke up with 'the flu' - or something like it - and my foot is not hurting that much. Or maybe since my head and my throat feel so bad, I am not noticing as much!

Anyway, I agree with your observation!

John h on 1/20/02 at 11:27 (070651)

I would agree with your comments Judy. Certainly I can never tie a bad day with certainity to something I did. I can do something like climb a mountain and have no problem at all. We all respond differently and I continue to say that what we all call PF is a number of problems of which some if us have many and some of us have only one or two.

Julie on 1/20/02 at 14:01 (070661)

I think so too, Judy and John. Those muscles, ligaments and tendons do have to be used. Apart from that, I know I turned a sort of corner a year ago when I said 'the hell with it' and took off my shoes and walked barefoot along the beach in India with my feet in the sea. I didn't suffer more than a tad for it, foot-wise, but the emotional boost it gave me carried me forward and I never looked back. It's difficult to know when the 'right' moment comes to push the boat out a bit, but doing it can make a huge difference psychologically, and hence in every other way.

And John, I think your mountain-climb last year is a good example of this too don't you?.

wendyn on 1/20/02 at 16:27 (070673)

Speaking of this....

Rebecca!!!

Are you up out of that chair yet?

JudyS on 1/20/02 at 17:49 (070684)

Another excellent point you make, Julie, and it's one of my favorite angles regarding PF. Somewhat like you, I feel that I REALLY (sorry Elliot) turned a corner when, while sitting in my recliner one day last January, and having a seriously bad emotional January, I finally said to mysself 'Enough is enough, I refuse to be a total victim anymore.' And I got out of the chair and took charge. Someone posted here at some point, and that post was dug up a week or two ago, that the biggest problem we can have with PF is when PF controls our minds. Amen to that.

rebecca h on 1/20/02 at 18:40 (070696)

yes. completely. walking around the house very very very slowly.

Julie on 1/21/02 at 03:09 (070724)

Yes, Judy. That 'PF mindset' is a real bugger, isn't it? Your bringing that up sent me back to where I was just over a year ago when the very thought of having to walk anywhere filled me with trepidation. And I remember having a quarrel with Klaus in the middle of Berlin in November 2000 - he wanted to walk back to the hotel (about five blocks) and I almost cried at the prospect and insisted on taking a bus.

I'm not sure how long that mindset would have gone on had I not, luckily, turned the corner when I did. But I'm as glad to be rid of it as I am of the PF pain. Gladder.