Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Could altering (building up) shoe have caused this?

Posted by Beverly on 1/19/02 at 14:16 (070528)

I am frustrated beyond belief. My Asics MC Plus that I have worn for six months and have been my best shoe has now rubbed a nasty blister on my right ankle bone.

I'm not sure whether to blame my ankle brace (for PTT) or the shoe or the shoe change.

I do wear these shoes a size big to accomodate both my orthodics and ankle brace.

I recently had them built up a 1/4 inch by an orthodics store for my achilles tendonitis. That really relieves the AT. The blister was just a tiny little thing before I changed the shoe. But now, it is not tolerable to keep wearing the shoe.

So, I'm wondering if this is the result of having built up the heel in combination with wearing the brace or simply the result of wearing shoes that are a good full size too big. They are men's shoes by the way. I have a big foot.

Now, I'm back to the drawing board on athletic shoes. I need a shoe with either stability or motion control, wide toe box, and firm footbed.

Thanks,
Beverly

Re: Could altering (building up) shoe have caused this?

nancy s. on 1/19/02 at 14:21 (070532)

hi bev,
have you tried the brooks addiction? it sounds like it might have all those qualities you're looking for.
i think i remember that you did try a brooks at one point. or was that the brooks beast? did that help too?
nancy

Carole C on 1/19/02 at 20:26 (070584)

Is there any possibility of protecting your ankle bone with a bandage or moleskin so that it doesn't blister? The only reason I'm even suggesting it is that it sounds like your Asics have been working very well for you otherwise, from what I gather.

Carole C

Beverly on 1/19/02 at 20:57 (070586)

Carole, yes, I'm wearing a gel pad on the blister with a bandaid and that helps although it is not as good as not having the blister rubbed in the first place.

Nancy, I'll put the Brooks Addiction on my list to check out. I tried the Brooks Beast and wore it for awhile but it didn't give me as much heel relief as the Asics.

It is a shot in the dark, but I've discovered that the Drew Sport Tee I wear for dress shoes in the winter is built on a last that also comes in a lace up version. I've ordered that off the Net. I had to guess on size and width because I wear the Sport Tee with panty hose. So, I've gone up a width to accomodate orthodics and the brace. It may not work at all but worth a try.

The frustrating thing is that just when I think I've found the perfect shoe and it was good for many months, now it's not good-- or at least as far as rubbing that sore spot goes. I went through this when I had to give up Birks because of the AT.

One thing for sure, I'm no longer going to get back up pairs of a 'good' shoe. It takes so much to find a 'good' shoe, when I do, I tend to get it in every color or with athletic shoes, buy an extra pair. I do that because you never know when a style will be discontinued. But I think I've figured out that may not be a perfect shoe for me... just a temporary perfect shoe.

I'm going shoe shopping tomorrow. My first project is to try the Asics in half a size smaller. I have a full inch from my toe to the shoe. Perhaps, I've been wearing something too big for me.

I hate shoe shopping more than anything in the PF saga... hard to believe for all the shoes I've tried but it's just so frustrating trying to find something. I actually listen to self confidence guided imagery tapes before I go in visualizing myself finding a successful pair of shoes!
See ya,
Beverly

Re: Asics MC Plus

elliott on 1/19/02 at 23:53 (070607)

If I recall, this shoe has a stiff medial piece that juts into the ankle. Perhaps aids stability for some, but is uncomfortable for many. Maybe that piece has something to do with it.

---

Julie on 1/20/02 at 01:59 (070613)

Bev, it does sound to me as though the building-up might have been the culprit. What a shame!

You might find Compeed helpful - it's the best blister-avoider/protector I've come across. A bit expensive, but perhaps worth it if it saved your Asics for you. Here's a link to an information site:

http://www.compeed.com/Homepage/Compeed/Homepage.nsf/(HOMEPAGE)/Homepage?OpenDocument

I mentioned my marvellous North Face Targas to you, didn't I? We both seem to need a wide, deep toebox, and they're the only shoes I've found that fit the bill.

rebecca h on 1/20/02 at 09:49 (070636)

I can relate. I have spent hours upon hours upon hours going from shoe store to shoe store to shoe store. I had this tendency to believe salespeople who tell me that a certain shoe will definitely fix the problem. This was after unsuccessfully searching on my own and buying several pairs that didn't help. Now I'm just sortof numb. I don't believe salepeople or my own instincts anymore, because neither have worked. The list of 'perfect' shoes has includes Saucony, Zeeta, Birkenstock Arizonas, Birkenstock Milanos, New Balance, and most recently Brooks Addiction walkers which are great except for this one spot just below my inner ankle bone. I can wear them with a soft ankle brace. But I sure would love to find something that really fits and really feels good and really helps my feet get better. Please let me know if you find something that works.

Beverly on 1/20/02 at 18:07 (070690)

Well, I went to my favorite running shoe store and found a knowledgeable salesman. He had a degree in kenesiology.

I tried every motion control shoe in the store and concluded that the Asics MC Plus is still superior in all ways except for that blister on the ankle bone.

The salesman agreed with me that I could go down half a size... tried the new size. There was still plenty of toe wiggle room. He also showed me several different ways to lace up a shoe to affect a different fit. His conclusion was that the shoe had been too big for me, and also that the tongue was slipping and that might be promoting the blister. Well, I learned something new. The little loop on the tongue is made for the laces to go through and that holds the tongue in place.

I have no idea if this will fix the problem but I left with the smaller size Asics.

Julie, that blister protector looks interesting. I couldn't tell what it looks like from the web site. What I'm using is a silicone gel pad that can be cut to size. It is cushiony. Is this like that or something different.

See ya,
Beverly

Sandy H. on 1/20/02 at 19:34 (070706)

This sounds like an obvious thing to say but once a blister heels the skin that replaces it is tougher, kind of like a workman's hands. I'm not saying that rubbing isn't bad for you but your skin may get used to it.

Julie on 1/21/02 at 03:23 (070725)

It's hard to describe Compeed, Bev. It's not a gel, but yes, it is cushiony. The website explains its ingredients and how it works - click on icons for the various pages. I've used it a lot for hill-walking blisters, and the beauty of it is that once you've got it on, it stays on for days, so even though it's expensive to buy, it's probably economical in the long run. And it works: it takes the pressure off, leaves you painfree, and allows the skin to heal underneath.

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/21/02 at 15:11 (070782)

Is the blister on the inside or outside ankle bone?
Ed

Beverly on 1/21/02 at 18:45 (070802)

The blister is on the outer ankle bone. It is tolerable with a couple of layers of silicone gel pads. It primarily bothers my right ankle.
But like I said, this shoe is still hands down better than any other I've tried. But I am hoping going down half a shoe size fixes the problem. I still have a good half inch or better from my big toe to the end of the shoe.

If I had to guess, I think the tendency for this blister with these shoes was there all along since from the beginning, they left a little red spot on the ankle bone. And now that I am wearing them most of the time since I'm in the ankle brace, that extra wearing time sent it from a little red spot to a blister.

Thanks,
Beverly

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/21/02 at 19:18 (070805)

Most ankle braces cover the bone on the outside of the ankle so the counter of the shoe should not rub a blister. What type of ankle brace are you using?
Ed

Beverly on 1/22/02 at 11:11 (070873)

I'm using an ASO ankle stablizer. And yes, the brace covers the ankle bone. I don't think it is the brace. I think it's the shoe. The shoe put a little red spot on my ankle before I ever started wearing a brace.
My ankle measured just on the cusp between a small and x-small ankle brace. I went with the bigger size. I've tried several braces and countless shoes. This brace is better than anything else I've tried and ditto on the shoes - except for the blister.

Thanks,
Beverly

nancy s. on 1/19/02 at 14:21 (070532)

hi bev,
have you tried the brooks addiction? it sounds like it might have all those qualities you're looking for.
i think i remember that you did try a brooks at one point. or was that the brooks beast? did that help too?
nancy

Carole C on 1/19/02 at 20:26 (070584)

Is there any possibility of protecting your ankle bone with a bandage or moleskin so that it doesn't blister? The only reason I'm even suggesting it is that it sounds like your Asics have been working very well for you otherwise, from what I gather.

Carole C

Beverly on 1/19/02 at 20:57 (070586)

Carole, yes, I'm wearing a gel pad on the blister with a bandaid and that helps although it is not as good as not having the blister rubbed in the first place.

Nancy, I'll put the Brooks Addiction on my list to check out. I tried the Brooks Beast and wore it for awhile but it didn't give me as much heel relief as the Asics.

It is a shot in the dark, but I've discovered that the Drew Sport Tee I wear for dress shoes in the winter is built on a last that also comes in a lace up version. I've ordered that off the Net. I had to guess on size and width because I wear the Sport Tee with panty hose. So, I've gone up a width to accomodate orthodics and the brace. It may not work at all but worth a try.

The frustrating thing is that just when I think I've found the perfect shoe and it was good for many months, now it's not good-- or at least as far as rubbing that sore spot goes. I went through this when I had to give up Birks because of the AT.

One thing for sure, I'm no longer going to get back up pairs of a 'good' shoe. It takes so much to find a 'good' shoe, when I do, I tend to get it in every color or with athletic shoes, buy an extra pair. I do that because you never know when a style will be discontinued. But I think I've figured out that may not be a perfect shoe for me... just a temporary perfect shoe.

I'm going shoe shopping tomorrow. My first project is to try the Asics in half a size smaller. I have a full inch from my toe to the shoe. Perhaps, I've been wearing something too big for me.

I hate shoe shopping more than anything in the PF saga... hard to believe for all the shoes I've tried but it's just so frustrating trying to find something. I actually listen to self confidence guided imagery tapes before I go in visualizing myself finding a successful pair of shoes!
See ya,
Beverly

Re: Asics MC Plus

elliott on 1/19/02 at 23:53 (070607)

If I recall, this shoe has a stiff medial piece that juts into the ankle. Perhaps aids stability for some, but is uncomfortable for many. Maybe that piece has something to do with it.

---

Julie on 1/20/02 at 01:59 (070613)

Bev, it does sound to me as though the building-up might have been the culprit. What a shame!

You might find Compeed helpful - it's the best blister-avoider/protector I've come across. A bit expensive, but perhaps worth it if it saved your Asics for you. Here's a link to an information site:

http://www.compeed.com/Homepage/Compeed/Homepage.nsf/(HOMEPAGE)/Homepage?OpenDocument

I mentioned my marvellous North Face Targas to you, didn't I? We both seem to need a wide, deep toebox, and they're the only shoes I've found that fit the bill.

rebecca h on 1/20/02 at 09:49 (070636)

I can relate. I have spent hours upon hours upon hours going from shoe store to shoe store to shoe store. I had this tendency to believe salespeople who tell me that a certain shoe will definitely fix the problem. This was after unsuccessfully searching on my own and buying several pairs that didn't help. Now I'm just sortof numb. I don't believe salepeople or my own instincts anymore, because neither have worked. The list of 'perfect' shoes has includes Saucony, Zeeta, Birkenstock Arizonas, Birkenstock Milanos, New Balance, and most recently Brooks Addiction walkers which are great except for this one spot just below my inner ankle bone. I can wear them with a soft ankle brace. But I sure would love to find something that really fits and really feels good and really helps my feet get better. Please let me know if you find something that works.

Beverly on 1/20/02 at 18:07 (070690)

Well, I went to my favorite running shoe store and found a knowledgeable salesman. He had a degree in kenesiology.

I tried every motion control shoe in the store and concluded that the Asics MC Plus is still superior in all ways except for that blister on the ankle bone.

The salesman agreed with me that I could go down half a size... tried the new size. There was still plenty of toe wiggle room. He also showed me several different ways to lace up a shoe to affect a different fit. His conclusion was that the shoe had been too big for me, and also that the tongue was slipping and that might be promoting the blister. Well, I learned something new. The little loop on the tongue is made for the laces to go through and that holds the tongue in place.

I have no idea if this will fix the problem but I left with the smaller size Asics.

Julie, that blister protector looks interesting. I couldn't tell what it looks like from the web site. What I'm using is a silicone gel pad that can be cut to size. It is cushiony. Is this like that or something different.

See ya,
Beverly

Sandy H. on 1/20/02 at 19:34 (070706)

This sounds like an obvious thing to say but once a blister heels the skin that replaces it is tougher, kind of like a workman's hands. I'm not saying that rubbing isn't bad for you but your skin may get used to it.

Julie on 1/21/02 at 03:23 (070725)

It's hard to describe Compeed, Bev. It's not a gel, but yes, it is cushiony. The website explains its ingredients and how it works - click on icons for the various pages. I've used it a lot for hill-walking blisters, and the beauty of it is that once you've got it on, it stays on for days, so even though it's expensive to buy, it's probably economical in the long run. And it works: it takes the pressure off, leaves you painfree, and allows the skin to heal underneath.

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/21/02 at 15:11 (070782)

Is the blister on the inside or outside ankle bone?
Ed

Beverly on 1/21/02 at 18:45 (070802)

The blister is on the outer ankle bone. It is tolerable with a couple of layers of silicone gel pads. It primarily bothers my right ankle.
But like I said, this shoe is still hands down better than any other I've tried. But I am hoping going down half a shoe size fixes the problem. I still have a good half inch or better from my big toe to the end of the shoe.

If I had to guess, I think the tendency for this blister with these shoes was there all along since from the beginning, they left a little red spot on the ankle bone. And now that I am wearing them most of the time since I'm in the ankle brace, that extra wearing time sent it from a little red spot to a blister.

Thanks,
Beverly

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/21/02 at 19:18 (070805)

Most ankle braces cover the bone on the outside of the ankle so the counter of the shoe should not rub a blister. What type of ankle brace are you using?
Ed

Beverly on 1/22/02 at 11:11 (070873)

I'm using an ASO ankle stablizer. And yes, the brace covers the ankle bone. I don't think it is the brace. I think it's the shoe. The shoe put a little red spot on my ankle before I ever started wearing a brace.
My ankle measured just on the cusp between a small and x-small ankle brace. I went with the bigger size. I've tried several braces and countless shoes. This brace is better than anything else I've tried and ditto on the shoes - except for the blister.

Thanks,
Beverly