Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

...thoughts on getting along

Posted by Suzanne D on 1/20/02 at 08:58 (070625)

There's an old saying, 'Fools rush in where angels fear to tread', and I hope I am not being foolish in writing this. The recent discussions on the board have prompted these thoughts.

I just would like to say that I value EVERYONE who writes on this board, and like Alan said, I have an emotional attachment to it as it has been of such help to me through the past 6 months.

I DO look at everything through the eyes of a teacher, I guess, and I am used to looking at my classroom full of diverse children, each with their particular strengths and valuable contributions to the classroom as a whole.

And that is how I look at the many different people on this site: each has a unique perspective and personality which - blended together - makes for a rich experience! I, personally, have never traveled much, and I think it is quite interesting to 'be with' people who have such different experiences from me. Of course the flip side of that is that people may not understand one another on occasion, and people in pain can be sensitive, and understandably so.

However, I love reading what each has to say! I personally think Elliott has a charming wit and loads of information to share while he may do so sometimes playing the 'devil's advocate' with a mischievous grin. I have little boys like that in my room, and I enjoy them! I also have a very fair-minded little girl who, like Paula, strives for right and justice, and I am so glad she is in the classroom as well. I have a very intelligent little girl who reminds me of Julie who knows so much about so many things that sometimes at 6, I think she knows more than I do! I appreciate her. I have one little girl who goes to anyone who looks sad and rubs their back quietly. She makes me think of Tammie or Laurie. And then there is a little girl who makes me think of Carmen - excited about learning and just life in general! Another little girl cuts to the heart of anything, and although she is not mushy about it, she cares a lot and is always there to help me when I need it. She makes me think of Wendy. Then there is an all-round nice boy who you can always count on like John H...and the list could go on and on. I haven't meant to leave anyone out -We need the humor of Barb TX, the practical nature of Beverly, both Brians' wisdom, Steve P's knowledge and caring, Necee's optimism, Nancy N. and Nancy S.'s interesting posts, Anthony's encouragement, Valerie's breath of fresh air, Carole's victories, Rebecca's discoveries, Clara's enthusisam, Judy S's smiles which you can read through her posts, Linda's humor, Pat and Carol's thoughts, not to leave out Scott who makes it all possible and all the doctors and professionals who give of their time and expertise for us.

Oh, gosh, I am so afraid now that I have left out a 'regular' with whom I have become familiar, and I certainly didn't mean to! I just started writing, and all this came out!

My point is that EVERYONE is valuable! We may have different slants and views on things, but we can get along! No one needs to leave; everyone needs to respect one another's differences. If certain people's posts help you more than another, then read them, and no one will be hurt.

I appreciate every single one of you! That's what I wanted to say this morning.

Re: ...thoughts on getting along

wendyn on 1/20/02 at 09:44 (070635)

You're sweet Suzanne. I bet you are a great teacher. I tend to like people for their differences also. If there's one tough 'nut' in the office that everyone has a hard time dealing with...chances are likely that I'll get along with them. It's only happened once where I really couldn't find one redeeming quality in a coworker - and I finally just ignored her.

Julie on 1/20/02 at 09:51 (070639)

What a lovely post, Suzanne! It's a wonderful quality to be able to appreciate people for their uniqueness, as you do. I agree with Wendy: you're a great teacher and your pupils are lucky.

nancy s. on 1/20/02 at 09:56 (070640)

amen, suzanne -- thank you very much for writing this.

there are so many reasons to celebrate this site; it's sad when it gets torn down and the small amount of negative is elevated to look as though it outweighs the positive . . . because it doesn't. for me, it's been a helpful, funny, educational, and fascinating place where i've made many friends.

there should be room for endless different personalities -- and usually there has been. i hope and believe it'll stay that way, and a person with your flexible and open approach will ensure that it does. thanks, suzanne!
nancy

paula on 1/20/02 at 10:06 (070642)

yes susanne, alan k, wendyn thanks for your sweetness all. i will take alan's advice and extract myself from the only nasty dialogue in that whole otherwise very positive thread. i am no longer responding to nasty baiting . i never have before i never will again. well as alan says you feel sure you never will and there you are sucked in to responding to it. ok i'm chanting ommmm.

rebecca h on 1/20/02 at 10:24 (070643)

Enjoyed your post Suzanne. I love the different personalities described here and am amazed at how vivid a picture you can get of someone's personality just by reading their posts. I guess being a mother of five, I tend to take the little squabbles as part of life. When serious conflicts occur I make my kids hold each other's hands, look into each other's eyes and say 'I am sorry I dumped the whole bucket of legos on your head'. Then the other kid has to say 'That's okay' and then the first kid has to say 'you are my brother and I love you', and then the second kid has to say it too. Then they have to hug. By this time they are usually laughing. I hope that someday when they are adults, they will look into the eyes of their husband or wife and say the same thing.

John h on 1/20/02 at 11:31 (070652)

As we all should have learned in Kindergarten: Be nice and play fair!

Carmen H on 1/20/02 at 12:10 (070653)

Ahhhh this was just what the doctor ordered Suzanne. Thank you! ;-)

Carole C on 1/20/02 at 17:29 (070681)

Thanks, Suzanne... but you forgot about Suzanne's sweet caring posts, that we all look forward to! We are so lucky to have you posting here.

I never would have thought six weeks ago that 'Carole's victories' would have been the content of any post, much less mine. I was so miserable! I was crying and crabby all the time. Nothing seemed to help, and I was spending money on shoes and so on like it was going out of style.

What really helped me, I think, was listening to what everyone was saying and suggesting here, even if it sounded like would never work for me. I tried a billion things and discarded what didn't seem to help. Lots of rest, my shower stool, rest, stretching, rest, my custom orthotics, rest, and icing when needed turned out to be the combination that works for me. Plus more rest. LOL

Carole C

Beverly on 1/20/02 at 17:52 (070686)

So well written and thoughtful. Thanks Suzanne.

Beverly

PatC on 1/20/02 at 20:22 (070708)

Dittoes to what everyone else has said.

Anthony P on 1/20/02 at 21:58 (070710)

Suzanne, This is just want I needed a great positive post. thank you
I needed that . My foot isnt having a good day I guess shoveling snow
didnt help . Again I'm made aware of my limitations.
You are a sweet person and your students should be proud to have you for a teacher :) Anthony P

Re: Thanks, everyone!

Suzanne D on 1/20/02 at 22:10 (070711)

I appreciate all your kind words and wish each of you the very best. Thank you for your impact on my life! :-)

wendyn on 1/20/02 at 09:44 (070635)

You're sweet Suzanne. I bet you are a great teacher. I tend to like people for their differences also. If there's one tough 'nut' in the office that everyone has a hard time dealing with...chances are likely that I'll get along with them. It's only happened once where I really couldn't find one redeeming quality in a coworker - and I finally just ignored her.

Julie on 1/20/02 at 09:51 (070639)

What a lovely post, Suzanne! It's a wonderful quality to be able to appreciate people for their uniqueness, as you do. I agree with Wendy: you're a great teacher and your pupils are lucky.

nancy s. on 1/20/02 at 09:56 (070640)

amen, suzanne -- thank you very much for writing this.

there are so many reasons to celebrate this site; it's sad when it gets torn down and the small amount of negative is elevated to look as though it outweighs the positive . . . because it doesn't. for me, it's been a helpful, funny, educational, and fascinating place where i've made many friends.

there should be room for endless different personalities -- and usually there has been. i hope and believe it'll stay that way, and a person with your flexible and open approach will ensure that it does. thanks, suzanne!
nancy

paula on 1/20/02 at 10:06 (070642)

yes susanne, alan k, wendyn thanks for your sweetness all. i will take alan's advice and extract myself from the only nasty dialogue in that whole otherwise very positive thread. i am no longer responding to nasty baiting . i never have before i never will again. well as alan says you feel sure you never will and there you are sucked in to responding to it. ok i'm chanting ommmm.

rebecca h on 1/20/02 at 10:24 (070643)

Enjoyed your post Suzanne. I love the different personalities described here and am amazed at how vivid a picture you can get of someone's personality just by reading their posts. I guess being a mother of five, I tend to take the little squabbles as part of life. When serious conflicts occur I make my kids hold each other's hands, look into each other's eyes and say 'I am sorry I dumped the whole bucket of legos on your head'. Then the other kid has to say 'That's okay' and then the first kid has to say 'you are my brother and I love you', and then the second kid has to say it too. Then they have to hug. By this time they are usually laughing. I hope that someday when they are adults, they will look into the eyes of their husband or wife and say the same thing.

John h on 1/20/02 at 11:31 (070652)

As we all should have learned in Kindergarten: Be nice and play fair!

Carmen H on 1/20/02 at 12:10 (070653)

Ahhhh this was just what the doctor ordered Suzanne. Thank you! ;-)

Carole C on 1/20/02 at 17:29 (070681)

Thanks, Suzanne... but you forgot about Suzanne's sweet caring posts, that we all look forward to! We are so lucky to have you posting here.

I never would have thought six weeks ago that 'Carole's victories' would have been the content of any post, much less mine. I was so miserable! I was crying and crabby all the time. Nothing seemed to help, and I was spending money on shoes and so on like it was going out of style.

What really helped me, I think, was listening to what everyone was saying and suggesting here, even if it sounded like would never work for me. I tried a billion things and discarded what didn't seem to help. Lots of rest, my shower stool, rest, stretching, rest, my custom orthotics, rest, and icing when needed turned out to be the combination that works for me. Plus more rest. LOL

Carole C

Beverly on 1/20/02 at 17:52 (070686)

So well written and thoughtful. Thanks Suzanne.

Beverly

PatC on 1/20/02 at 20:22 (070708)

Dittoes to what everyone else has said.

Anthony P on 1/20/02 at 21:58 (070710)

Suzanne, This is just want I needed a great positive post. thank you
I needed that . My foot isnt having a good day I guess shoveling snow
didnt help . Again I'm made aware of my limitations.
You are a sweet person and your students should be proud to have you for a teacher :) Anthony P

Re: Thanks, everyone!

Suzanne D on 1/20/02 at 22:10 (070711)

I appreciate all your kind words and wish each of you the very best. Thank you for your impact on my life! :-)