Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

julie

Posted by paula on 1/20/02 at 10:55 (070644)

i have decided to leave that thread due to what i percieved as some unpleasantness. can i continue discussion with you here? i came to georgia by accident , i was driving accross country in my hippy youth and ran out of money and gas in atlanta. never saw so many trees never saw such beauty as georgia. never met such polite people. man, i ruled the road for a while till i realized i was an aggressive new york driver. 30 years ago i was at a cross section of stop signs and beat out a country sheriff. when he stopped me i said hey, it's all fair. i bluffed you, i won. he said where are you from and i said brooklyn. he said down here we take turns. he didnt ticket me. it shamed me into a whole new world of fairness. it also took me a while to realize that the term 'y'all come back soon' was really just the brooklyn equivilant of 'see ya'. a number of southerners were sure surprised that i came back at all let alone soon. i love it here for the most part and atlanta is of course a very progressive city now. still has a lot of trees.

Re: Paula

Julie on 1/20/02 at 13:47 (070660)

Hi Paula

I'm glad you extricated yourself from that thread with a few OMs, and it's a fine idea to start a new one.

It sounds as though you've travelled as far from your origins as I have from mine. So you've been a southerner for 30 years? Do you ever go back to Brooklyn? My home (from aged 3 to 17) in the Bronx was one of the thousands of victims of landlord-burning in the 70s. When I visited my parents in 1979 (they'd shifted to Manhattan ten years earlier) we went up to have a look at it. When we turned the corner and saw the blackened bricks my mother refused to get out of the car, but my dad and I had a good look. It was a sobering experience

I like your story about the county sheriff!

I think you have quite a few heelspurs neighbours in Atlanta - Carmen for one, and I'm sure there are others. And you've got John just around the bend in Little Rock...well, maybe it's not as close as all that, but it feels like it from this distance.

All the best

Julie

paula on 1/20/02 at 15:46 (070667)

you are never a southerner to southerneres. no matter how long you've lived in the south. you are always a yankee. i lived on and off in california and so i guess that makes me a bubbafornian. or somthin. i never visit brooklyn or new york. i miss new yorkers sometimes. in fact listening to rudy juliane was like going home. but atlanta isn't really the south anymore it's more like L.A. east. at least the traffic and smog are.

Re: julie

monte on 1/21/02 at 12:05 (070769)

hey paula...i live in Brooklyn...where were you from?

Julie on 1/20/02 at 13:47 (070660)

Hi Paula

I'm glad you extricated yourself from that thread with a few OMs, and it's a fine idea to start a new one.

It sounds as though you've travelled as far from your origins as I have from mine. So you've been a southerner for 30 years? Do you ever go back to Brooklyn? My home (from aged 3 to 17) in the Bronx was one of the thousands of victims of landlord-burning in the 70s. When I visited my parents in 1979 (they'd shifted to Manhattan ten years earlier) we went up to have a look at it. When we turned the corner and saw the blackened bricks my mother refused to get out of the car, but my dad and I had a good look. It was a sobering experience

I like your story about the county sheriff!

I think you have quite a few heelspurs neighbours in Atlanta - Carmen for one, and I'm sure there are others. And you've got John just around the bend in Little Rock...well, maybe it's not as close as all that, but it feels like it from this distance.

All the best

Julie

paula on 1/20/02 at 15:46 (070667)

you are never a southerner to southerneres. no matter how long you've lived in the south. you are always a yankee. i lived on and off in california and so i guess that makes me a bubbafornian. or somthin. i never visit brooklyn or new york. i miss new yorkers sometimes. in fact listening to rudy juliane was like going home. but atlanta isn't really the south anymore it's more like L.A. east. at least the traffic and smog are.

Re: julie

monte on 1/21/02 at 12:05 (070769)

hey paula...i live in Brooklyn...where were you from?