Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

assatron

Posted by denise f on 1/20/02 at 11:06 (070647)

Hello,
My name is Denise, I have suffered for the past nine months with heal pain due to plantar facitis and heal spurs in my left foot. I have gone to physical therapy, got inserts, had the boot that you wear at night, now I have the boot that looks like a ski boot that I wear to walk and I have an MRI scheduled for this Monday. My doctor told me of a new surgery called assatron but it is not in RI yet, is it in Boston, MA??

Please send me any information you might have to help.

Thanks for your time and information
denise

Re: OssaTron / Dornier

BrianG on 1/21/02 at 08:57 (070739)

Hi Denise,

I'm from MA and am patiently waiting for an ESWT machine to come to Boston. Currantly there is none. Well, I should clarify that, Ma Gen Hospital conducted some trials about 1.5 years ago and they most likely still have the machine in storage, just waiting for FDA approval. It should come at any time. The ESWT machine they will be using is the Dornier. I'm quite sure it will be used in the Orthepeadic Unit, if you want to get in touch with them. It's still not know if insurance will help with the bill, but I'd be willing to bet that MGH will do evrything in it's power to make it happen. If not, you'll be looking at a pretty expensive bill, for something, that may, or may not work. I do believe it's still a better treatment than surgery. Good luck

BCG

PS Have you read Scott's book yet? Check out the part on taping. It's helping quite a few people.

Karen K on 1/24/02 at 16:29 (071149)

Hi Brian and Denise,

I just got a reply from my email to Dornier. The machine is not still in Boston due to FDA study rules it has to be removed after the last study patient gets treatment. Dr. George Theodore at Mass General is the trained doctor in the area who participated in the study. Try this link for his info: http://www.massgeneral.org/doctor/Medical_Professional_Detail.asp?MPR=11278&ON=14175

He now has to purchase a machine from Dornier but the Dornier person I contacted was not able to tell me if that is in the works as of yet. I've got a call into Dr. Thedore's office requestion info. If several of us give him a call maybe he will get it purchased quicker if he hasn't already done so.

I have Harvard Pilgrim and am waiting for them to reply to my letter of appeal/special consideration to pay for ESWT. I'll let you know how that goes.

Take care,
Karen

BrianG on 1/25/02 at 17:10 (071295)

Thanks Karen,

I have aleady written a letter to Dr. Theodore's office. I've included a copy of my insurance policy (Aetna) where they state they will not cover the OssaTron, previously the only other PF approved machine in the US. I am hoping that because this is such a large, teaching hospital, they will make the treatment affordible, even if the insurance companies continue to hold out. Thanks for the info, keep us informed, and we'll work together on this.

BCG

PS I will also be writing to Aetna in the near future, urging them to take another look at this policy.

BrianG on 1/21/02 at 08:57 (070739)

Hi Denise,

I'm from MA and am patiently waiting for an ESWT machine to come to Boston. Currantly there is none. Well, I should clarify that, Ma Gen Hospital conducted some trials about 1.5 years ago and they most likely still have the machine in storage, just waiting for FDA approval. It should come at any time. The ESWT machine they will be using is the Dornier. I'm quite sure it will be used in the Orthepeadic Unit, if you want to get in touch with them. It's still not know if insurance will help with the bill, but I'd be willing to bet that MGH will do evrything in it's power to make it happen. If not, you'll be looking at a pretty expensive bill, for something, that may, or may not work. I do believe it's still a better treatment than surgery. Good luck

BCG

PS Have you read Scott's book yet? Check out the part on taping. It's helping quite a few people.

Karen K on 1/24/02 at 16:29 (071149)

Hi Brian and Denise,

I just got a reply from my email to Dornier. The machine is not still in Boston due to FDA study rules it has to be removed after the last study patient gets treatment. Dr. George Theodore at Mass General is the trained doctor in the area who participated in the study. Try this link for his info: http://www.massgeneral.org/doctor/Medical_Professional_Detail.asp?MPR=11278&ON=14175

He now has to purchase a machine from Dornier but the Dornier person I contacted was not able to tell me if that is in the works as of yet. I've got a call into Dr. Thedore's office requestion info. If several of us give him a call maybe he will get it purchased quicker if he hasn't already done so.

I have Harvard Pilgrim and am waiting for them to reply to my letter of appeal/special consideration to pay for ESWT. I'll let you know how that goes.

Take care,
Karen

BrianG on 1/25/02 at 17:10 (071295)

Thanks Karen,

I have aleady written a letter to Dr. Theodore's office. I've included a copy of my insurance policy (Aetna) where they state they will not cover the OssaTron, previously the only other PF approved machine in the US. I am hoping that because this is such a large, teaching hospital, they will make the treatment affordible, even if the insurance companies continue to hold out. Thanks for the info, keep us informed, and we'll work together on this.

BCG

PS I will also be writing to Aetna in the near future, urging them to take another look at this policy.