Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Ruptured Plantar fascia

Posted by Kathy D on 1/20/02 at 21:50 (070709)

For the last several years I have suffered w/severe pain in my left heel. Finally went to Dr. who diagnosed PF. I had 3 cortisone shots within 3 weeks, none of which gave much relief. 10 days after last shot, I was on my knees reaching under the Christmas tree, and when I went to stand up, I pushed off on my left foot & ruptured the fascia. I now have a 'full fat feeling' in the ball of my foot, my toes are beginning to curl under and I have extreme pain across the top of my arch.

My podiatrist says he has never seen a complete rupture and that there is little he can do. I must dress in suits and heels for business and cannot get my feet in most of my shoes because of the swelling & discomfort. Is there any surgical correction for this? Or any other suggestions. I tape it and ice it every nite.

Re: Ruptured Plantar fascia

DR Zuckerman on 1/20/02 at 22:11 (070712)

I sent you a reply via your e-mail. I will copy and paste the answer if any one wants to read my response

Al K DPM on 1/21/02 at 08:24 (070733)

The number of shots you recieved within a 3 week period seems a little excessive to me. This may have contributed to your rupture. I usually give 1 shot per month, no more than 3 within 6 months. A complete rupture like this is rare. I would get an MRI to confirm the rupture, and you probably should be immobilized if you have that much swelling. Just some suggestions. The few partial ruptures that I have seen, usually result in almost complete relief of the heel pain in time (i.e. traumatic fascial release).

Al K DPM on 1/21/02 at 08:30 (070735)

http://www.podassociates.net for more helpful info

SHIRLEY K on 1/26/02 at 16:41 (071436)

I had this happen in 1995. I mistakenly walked on it for 2 weeks before going to the Pod. My foot did not fit in any shoe and was painful. I thought I just bruised it. Wow, was I wrong. I was put in a cast (removeable one- worked out well for me) for 6 weeks. Then intensive physical therapy- I became pregnant that summer, so did not concern myself iwth sports at that time. However, next summer I played tennis. BUT>>>>> I just re injured it using the treadmill (I think). It is fixable. However, now I wonder if it will always be a problem. I am going to the Pod this week.

Good luck. It is fixable, if your do allt he exercises.

DR Zuckerman on 1/20/02 at 22:11 (070712)

I sent you a reply via your e-mail. I will copy and paste the answer if any one wants to read my response

Al K DPM on 1/21/02 at 08:24 (070733)

The number of shots you recieved within a 3 week period seems a little excessive to me. This may have contributed to your rupture. I usually give 1 shot per month, no more than 3 within 6 months. A complete rupture like this is rare. I would get an MRI to confirm the rupture, and you probably should be immobilized if you have that much swelling. Just some suggestions. The few partial ruptures that I have seen, usually result in almost complete relief of the heel pain in time (i.e. traumatic fascial release).

Al K DPM on 1/21/02 at 08:30 (070735)

http://www.podassociates.net for more helpful info

sharon on 7/10/02 at 18:12 (089432)

Dear doctor:

please copy and paste the information that you sent to this person on
ruptured plantar fascia.
Thank you,
Sharon

sharon on 7/11/02 at 17:43 (089498)

Dear Dr. Zuckerman:

Could you please share the answer to gave to message #70712 on 1-20-02
with me? I would like to hear your reply.

Thank you for your time.

Sharon

DR Zuckerman on 7/11/02 at 18:25 (089499)

Sorry I don't have the e-mail from that date. What is the question and I will try to answer again

SHIRLEY K on 1/26/02 at 16:41 (071436)

I had this happen in 1995. I mistakenly walked on it for 2 weeks before going to the Pod. My foot did not fit in any shoe and was painful. I thought I just bruised it. Wow, was I wrong. I was put in a cast (removeable one- worked out well for me) for 6 weeks. Then intensive physical therapy- I became pregnant that summer, so did not concern myself iwth sports at that time. However, next summer I played tennis. BUT>>>>> I just re injured it using the treadmill (I think). It is fixable. However, now I wonder if it will always be a problem. I am going to the Pod this week.

Good luck. It is fixable, if your do allt he exercises.

sharon on 7/10/02 at 18:12 (089432)

Dear doctor:

please copy and paste the information that you sent to this person on
ruptured plantar fascia.
Thank you,
Sharon

sharon on 7/11/02 at 17:43 (089498)

Dear Dr. Zuckerman:

Could you please share the answer to gave to message #70712 on 1-20-02
with me? I would like to hear your reply.

Thank you for your time.

Sharon

DR Zuckerman on 7/11/02 at 18:25 (089499)

Sorry I don't have the e-mail from that date. What is the question and I will try to answer again