Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

weird isreali mine boots help us?

Posted by paula on 1/21/02 at 04:46 (070728)

ok, here's the weirdest idea yet. i just saw a news item on cnn about isreali invented boots that are safe to walk around land mines cause they distribute body weight so well that you can walk on an eggshell and not crush it. duh. light bulb. why can't we here get a hold of a pair of these boots and one of us give em a try. how to do this? isrealis invented them, cnn reported it, the swiss army is using them in afghanistan. am i a maniac? anyone want to try to track these things down? i will try but i'm pretty awful at such pursuits. how about some of the obvious genuises here?

Re: weird isreali mine boots help us?

BrianG on 1/21/02 at 08:36 (070737)

Hi Paula,

I saw that same program, these shoes are much bigger than snow shoes. Can you imgine trying to get down the supermarket isles with them on? Nobody else would be allowed in the isle, or maybe they would have to start making all the isles one way. And no passing anyone :*) You'll definatly be the 1st person in your area with a pair.

BCG

PS Didn't those 6'2', 220 lb soldiers make it seem efforless to use them :*)

paula on 1/21/02 at 10:53 (070757)

i'd gladly try them if it helps the pain. i'm in a wheelchair brian. i can't walk at all. i'd put them on and yell 'clear the aisles' . even if they were not suitable to walking everywhere with they might helpf folks that have to stand around a lot on the job and they might help some of us who are in the worst pain and don't give a hoot about fashion.

JudyS on 1/22/02 at 10:54 (070870)

speaking of new-fangled foot wear....I saw a quick news story last night about an athletic shoe that has springs inserted in to the sole at the heel. Haven't we talked about this before? I ask because, according to that story, which didn't name the maker of the shoe, it is only available somewhere in Texas to prescribing doctors. But I thought we'd talked last year about Nike making some spring-type shoes and a couple of folks here were going to try them? Or have I gone off to the Twilight Zone yet again?

Re: Spring in the heel

Julie on 1/23/02 at 03:01 (070938)

Judy, I don't think you're in the twilight zone - unless maybe I'm there with you. I'm sure it was a Nike shoe. My recollection is that someone did try it and found it comfortable, but one of the doctors thought it probably wasn't stable.

john h on 1/23/02 at 10:18 (070964)

I have seen some sort of odd shoe that is supposed to help you jump higher. Saw some teenagers at club wearing them. Very strange looking.

John h on 1/23/02 at 16:00 (071005)

I have not tried them but I wonder if just plain old hiking boots might help Paula. They would hold the entire foot and ankle more stable. Some of the new high tech boots are lite, breathe, and offer good support. I know you girls might look silly in hiking boots but not us men. By the way I am no fashion guru but some of these big soled shoes the ladies are now wearing look like hiking boots. Wende, where you live i would think boots/mukaluks would be in high fashion. What do they do for your feet?

BrianG on 1/21/02 at 08:36 (070737)

Hi Paula,

I saw that same program, these shoes are much bigger than snow shoes. Can you imgine trying to get down the supermarket isles with them on? Nobody else would be allowed in the isle, or maybe they would have to start making all the isles one way. And no passing anyone :*) You'll definatly be the 1st person in your area with a pair.

BCG

PS Didn't those 6'2', 220 lb soldiers make it seem efforless to use them :*)

paula on 1/21/02 at 10:53 (070757)

i'd gladly try them if it helps the pain. i'm in a wheelchair brian. i can't walk at all. i'd put them on and yell 'clear the aisles' . even if they were not suitable to walking everywhere with they might helpf folks that have to stand around a lot on the job and they might help some of us who are in the worst pain and don't give a hoot about fashion.

JudyS on 1/22/02 at 10:54 (070870)

speaking of new-fangled foot wear....I saw a quick news story last night about an athletic shoe that has springs inserted in to the sole at the heel. Haven't we talked about this before? I ask because, according to that story, which didn't name the maker of the shoe, it is only available somewhere in Texas to prescribing doctors. But I thought we'd talked last year about Nike making some spring-type shoes and a couple of folks here were going to try them? Or have I gone off to the Twilight Zone yet again?

Re: Spring in the heel

Julie on 1/23/02 at 03:01 (070938)

Judy, I don't think you're in the twilight zone - unless maybe I'm there with you. I'm sure it was a Nike shoe. My recollection is that someone did try it and found it comfortable, but one of the doctors thought it probably wasn't stable.

john h on 1/23/02 at 10:18 (070964)

I have seen some sort of odd shoe that is supposed to help you jump higher. Saw some teenagers at club wearing them. Very strange looking.

John h on 1/23/02 at 16:00 (071005)

I have not tried them but I wonder if just plain old hiking boots might help Paula. They would hold the entire foot and ankle more stable. Some of the new high tech boots are lite, breathe, and offer good support. I know you girls might look silly in hiking boots but not us men. By the way I am no fashion guru but some of these big soled shoes the ladies are now wearing look like hiking boots. Wende, where you live i would think boots/mukaluks would be in high fashion. What do they do for your feet?