Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

night splint and heel lift question

Posted by paula on 1/21/02 at 16:49 (070788)

my nice stretch is nice but my feet pronate so bad that when i put them on i feel i need an arch support or my post tib stretches in a bad way. ever hear of such an idea or problem? heel lift question: can i just buy a cheap heel lift and try it and see if that helps my constantly tight achilees calf after year of stretching? . i've had a little progress in that area but not enuf and it's slow as glacial drift, any brand come to mind? anything to watch out for?

Re: night splint and heel lift question

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/21/02 at 19:24 (070806)

The splints should not be applied with enough dorsiflexion force to allow pronation--except if your foot is very hypermobile or if your achilles is extememly tight. I have actually had a number of patients place their orthotics in the splints stating that they felt much better that way. I have occasionally placed a prefab orthotic, a Podothotic (version of Superfeet) in the splint.
Ed

paula on 1/21/02 at 19:33 (070808)

hey thanks i'll try superfeet then. yes my feet are hypermobile or at least my post tib is so weak right now that anything bends it wrong. and i will take it real easy with the nice splint as you have taught us.

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/21/02 at 19:24 (070806)

The splints should not be applied with enough dorsiflexion force to allow pronation--except if your foot is very hypermobile or if your achilles is extememly tight. I have actually had a number of patients place their orthotics in the splints stating that they felt much better that way. I have occasionally placed a prefab orthotic, a Podothotic (version of Superfeet) in the splint.
Ed

paula on 1/21/02 at 19:33 (070808)

hey thanks i'll try superfeet then. yes my feet are hypermobile or at least my post tib is so weak right now that anything bends it wrong. and i will take it real easy with the nice splint as you have taught us.