Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Just got back from picking up orthotics

Posted by Carmen H on 1/22/02 at 14:49 (070888)

What's blue goo? That's what these are made of...he said no real break in period was necessary b/c they are soft. Okay docs, guys and gals...what is to be expected from this experience? Yet another orthotic experience I hope is betterthan the first pair that just plain stank!
:-)
In other words....advice on blue goo would be appreciated.

Re: Just got back from picking up orthotics

Richard, C.Ped on 1/22/02 at 15:50 (070893)

Is that what it actually reads on the orthotics? Blue goo? I am personally not familiar with that. Sounds like they are trying to give you more cushion than support. I am very curious now. Some people use a substance called P.Q. or visco elastic polymer to make orthotics. You dont get much of arch support, but depending on how thick or thin you mix the stuff, you can have a pretty good cushion orthosis.

I would like to converse back and forth a little about this. My screen name for AOL messinger is 'metatarsalgia'. If you see me on, give me a shout.
Richard

Carmen H on 1/23/02 at 07:35 (070954)

It is a VERY thick orthotic.....my shoe now weighs 10 pounds! ha
No really...there is a definite arch inside but they are soft and they feel pretty good so far. I'll know more after a couple days. I am not set up with AOL yet....way too busy at work since I rebuilt this computer. but once I get a chance I will set it up.
It doesn't say anything on the Orthotic that I saw. I will check again tonight.
Thanks for your interest....

elliott on 1/23/02 at 15:01 (071002)

Carmen, how was it decided that you get soft rather than hard or semi-rigid? Did you ever look into things like NW Podiatric Labs orthotics espoused by many of the docs on this board? I might try those soon after an upcoming visit to a new ortho; I'm having a lot of trouble even walking and wonder how much time I have left. I hear those orthotics are very light, thin, and strong. (And expensive--like $400! But at least my new insurance will cover a big chunk.)

Soft is more comfortable initially, but one drawback (in addition to less support, but maybe you don't need so much) is that they wear out rather quickly, as they compress and lose their effectiveness. If you were using them as a runner, I believe they would last only around a year, two at most, compared to more like a decade for hard.

--

Carmen H on 1/23/02 at 16:28 (071011)

I arrived at the soft orthotics because the hard soles of the Danskos were compressing the nerves in my feet and were very painful to walk on. The only thing I was able to wear was a soft insert in my tennis shoes until the orthotics got ordered. They seem okay so far...My feet are a little tired right now from wearing them but I changed shoes and am giving them a break. I did notice the tingling is gone when I have those on. Get this...I paid $350.00 for those and if I had waited 3 weeks until my new ins. took effect they would havebeen covered 100%.
GEEEEZZZZZZZZZZ. That aggravates the He&* out of me!!!!
He said they'd last about a year...I am getting more done before then since insurance covers them.

Re: Your orthotics sound great!

Carole C on 1/23/02 at 16:30 (071012)

Gee, they sound exactly like mine, Carmen! I feel like I'm wearing a Sherman tank on each foot. I wonder if we have the same kind? Mine are blue and soft with a definite arch also. And, the part I love best is they seem to have a lot of support especially at the back of the arch where my heel starts, and this does wonders for me. They don't say anything on them either, that I noticed, but the receipt says 'Orthofeet $225'.

Carole C

Re: first things first

Carole C on 1/23/02 at 16:32 (071013)

Let's see... three more weeks of foot pain, or $350. I don't think I'd have waited!

Carole C

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/23/02 at 22:20 (071073)

Richard:

The 'blue goo' product, I believe is made by Ruch Orthotic Lab. I am not real familiar with it but believe they use the P.Q. viscoelastic polymer.
I like some of the P.Q. products from Riecken's Lab of Indiana but they are very bulky and a bit heavy too. Occasionally, I have used Riecken's 'butterfly' viscoelastic insoles in extra depth shoes for seniors and diabetics. It is a very low durometer material but it does not bottom out like a lot of the foams.
Ed

Carmen H on 1/24/02 at 07:31 (071088)

I didn't get a receipt on it...it's just on my records which they are sending me a copy of.
Yes they are HEAVY. When I take them off and hold one shoe it is like 5 pounds a shoe! But I am able to wear them all day and when I took the dog down the street yesterday there was no tingling and prickling feelings which I have had for almost 7 months.
So who knows...maybe it will work??
How long have you had yours?? How bad is your pain level now? Mine was a 2 and now it's barely a one untiltheend of the dayw when it creeps back to a 2 or 3...

Carmen H on 1/24/02 at 07:33 (071089)

HUH!!!! My doctors name is Dr. Ruch. He is the doctor from Peachtree Podiatry that travels around the world giving talks on feet and stuff. He works with Dr. Banks who co wrote a book on feet and surgery.....
Where is the Ruch Orthotic lab?

JudyS on 1/24/02 at 10:15 (071113)

Carmen - just imagine all the strengthening your lower leg muscles are going to get with that extra five pounds to lift with each step! :)

Carmen H on 1/24/02 at 12:52 (071135)

Ha ha I know I thought about that exact thing! funny!!!

Re: Yours sound really good too

Carole C on 1/24/02 at 13:35 (071139)

I got mine on December 10th, which was two and a half months after my first symptoms of PF. My pain level now is 1-2, depending on what I did that day, but before my orthotics it was an 8, I'd say. I could only sit and cry, or hobble a few feet, back then.

It sounds like yours are working really well!!! I sure hope so. :)

Carole C

Suzanne D on 1/24/02 at 19:43 (071175)

Carmen, I have always read with interest and concern your posts about your pain and the steps you were taking to educate and help yourself. You have been so free to share with everyone else your findings with websites for others to check. I am TRULY HOPEFUL for you that these orthotics will play a major part in helping you heal and be back to 'normal'! You are young and have many things 'in your favor', and I have my fingers crossed for you! You certainly have had the royal 'run-around' getting them, and I hope that each day feels better and better!

:-) Suzanne

Re: orthotics, medial posts, heavy shoes.....

Carole C on 1/24/02 at 22:21 (071187)

I was curious so I took mine out of the shoes for the first time tonight, to look at them. Although the part that my feet feel is blue foam, this is laid onto another layer that is harder but still flexible, maybe eva or something of that sort. That stiffer layer says 'Orthofeet' on the bottom of it. When I looked online, all I could find for orthofeet was over-the-counter stuff, but she took an impression of my feet and made the blue foam part. Maybe she glued two layers together afterwards.

Then I started reading about medial posts, and I think that maybe that bulge in my orthotics that is so wonderful and making my feet heal is a rear medial post. It is positioned across my foot just alongside the front of my heal, and it seems a little more pronounced on the inner sides than the lateral sides of my feet. Whatever it is, it is just exactly what my foot needed, even more than high arches perhaps. Also, the heel is lifted a little bit which has helped my tendons to heal, in my opinion.

One of these days I might be brave and try to fit these orthotics in another shoe that less resembles a Sherman tank. Oh Carmen, despite all my complaints about my shoes, I found out they weigh 2 pounds. My Birkenstocks weigh one pound, so that is not so heavy as I had thought. They are sure big, though. :)

Carole C

Carmen H on 1/25/02 at 09:37 (071223)

ha! I still think mine are five pounds and plan to weight them today.
They are making my feet hurt a bittoday.
:-(

Carole C on 1/25/02 at 11:32 (071248)

Sorry to hear that! Maybe you will need to 'back off' and then start over with breaking them in more slowly. I hope not. In either case, I still have great hopes for your orthotics, because they seemed to help you even the very first day.

Let me know what they weigh! I could swear mine weighed a whole lot more than two pounds, because of the size of them. I guess a lot of that size must be light materials. Maybe I will weigh mine again later and find out if I was mistaken!

Carole C

Richard, C.Ped on 1/26/02 at 09:19 (071374)

I have used PQ in the past. I have even made myself an orthosis to see what it feels like. I found it very heavy and uncomfortable. After wearing the EVA orthosis for so long, I found that the Visco did not give me the proper support that I am used to.
Richard

Richard, C.Ped on 1/22/02 at 15:50 (070893)

Is that what it actually reads on the orthotics? Blue goo? I am personally not familiar with that. Sounds like they are trying to give you more cushion than support. I am very curious now. Some people use a substance called P.Q. or visco elastic polymer to make orthotics. You dont get much of arch support, but depending on how thick or thin you mix the stuff, you can have a pretty good cushion orthosis.

I would like to converse back and forth a little about this. My screen name for AOL messinger is 'metatarsalgia'. If you see me on, give me a shout.
Richard

Carmen H on 1/23/02 at 07:35 (070954)

It is a VERY thick orthotic.....my shoe now weighs 10 pounds! ha
No really...there is a definite arch inside but they are soft and they feel pretty good so far. I'll know more after a couple days. I am not set up with AOL yet....way too busy at work since I rebuilt this computer. but once I get a chance I will set it up.
It doesn't say anything on the Orthotic that I saw. I will check again tonight.
Thanks for your interest....

elliott on 1/23/02 at 15:01 (071002)

Carmen, how was it decided that you get soft rather than hard or semi-rigid? Did you ever look into things like NW Podiatric Labs orthotics espoused by many of the docs on this board? I might try those soon after an upcoming visit to a new ortho; I'm having a lot of trouble even walking and wonder how much time I have left. I hear those orthotics are very light, thin, and strong. (And expensive--like $400! But at least my new insurance will cover a big chunk.)

Soft is more comfortable initially, but one drawback (in addition to less support, but maybe you don't need so much) is that they wear out rather quickly, as they compress and lose their effectiveness. If you were using them as a runner, I believe they would last only around a year, two at most, compared to more like a decade for hard.

--

Carmen H on 1/23/02 at 16:28 (071011)

I arrived at the soft orthotics because the hard soles of the Danskos were compressing the nerves in my feet and were very painful to walk on. The only thing I was able to wear was a soft insert in my tennis shoes until the orthotics got ordered. They seem okay so far...My feet are a little tired right now from wearing them but I changed shoes and am giving them a break. I did notice the tingling is gone when I have those on. Get this...I paid $350.00 for those and if I had waited 3 weeks until my new ins. took effect they would havebeen covered 100%.
GEEEEZZZZZZZZZZ. That aggravates the He&* out of me!!!!
He said they'd last about a year...I am getting more done before then since insurance covers them.

Carole C on 1/23/02 at 16:30 (071012)

Gee, they sound exactly like mine, Carmen! I feel like I'm wearing a Sherman tank on each foot. I wonder if we have the same kind? Mine are blue and soft with a definite arch also. And, the part I love best is they seem to have a lot of support especially at the back of the arch where my heel starts, and this does wonders for me. They don't say anything on them either, that I noticed, but the receipt says 'Orthofeet $225'.

Carole C

Re: first things first

Carole C on 1/23/02 at 16:32 (071013)

Let's see... three more weeks of foot pain, or $350. I don't think I'd have waited!

Carole C

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/23/02 at 22:20 (071073)

Richard:

The 'blue goo' product, I believe is made by Ruch Orthotic Lab. I am not real familiar with it but believe they use the P.Q. viscoelastic polymer.
I like some of the P.Q. products from Riecken's Lab of Indiana but they are very bulky and a bit heavy too. Occasionally, I have used Riecken's 'butterfly' viscoelastic insoles in extra depth shoes for seniors and diabetics. It is a very low durometer material but it does not bottom out like a lot of the foams.
Ed

Carmen H on 1/24/02 at 07:31 (071088)

I didn't get a receipt on it...it's just on my records which they are sending me a copy of.
Yes they are HEAVY. When I take them off and hold one shoe it is like 5 pounds a shoe! But I am able to wear them all day and when I took the dog down the street yesterday there was no tingling and prickling feelings which I have had for almost 7 months.
So who knows...maybe it will work??
How long have you had yours?? How bad is your pain level now? Mine was a 2 and now it's barely a one untiltheend of the dayw when it creeps back to a 2 or 3...

Carmen H on 1/24/02 at 07:33 (071089)

HUH!!!! My doctors name is Dr. Ruch. He is the doctor from Peachtree Podiatry that travels around the world giving talks on feet and stuff. He works with Dr. Banks who co wrote a book on feet and surgery.....
Where is the Ruch Orthotic lab?

JudyS on 1/24/02 at 10:15 (071113)

Carmen - just imagine all the strengthening your lower leg muscles are going to get with that extra five pounds to lift with each step! :)

Carmen H on 1/24/02 at 12:52 (071135)

Ha ha I know I thought about that exact thing! funny!!!

Re: Yours sound really good too

Carole C on 1/24/02 at 13:35 (071139)

I got mine on December 10th, which was two and a half months after my first symptoms of PF. My pain level now is 1-2, depending on what I did that day, but before my orthotics it was an 8, I'd say. I could only sit and cry, or hobble a few feet, back then.

It sounds like yours are working really well!!! I sure hope so. :)

Carole C

Suzanne D on 1/24/02 at 19:43 (071175)

Carmen, I have always read with interest and concern your posts about your pain and the steps you were taking to educate and help yourself. You have been so free to share with everyone else your findings with websites for others to check. I am TRULY HOPEFUL for you that these orthotics will play a major part in helping you heal and be back to 'normal'! You are young and have many things 'in your favor', and I have my fingers crossed for you! You certainly have had the royal 'run-around' getting them, and I hope that each day feels better and better!

:-) Suzanne

Carole C on 1/24/02 at 22:21 (071187)

I was curious so I took mine out of the shoes for the first time tonight, to look at them. Although the part that my feet feel is blue foam, this is laid onto another layer that is harder but still flexible, maybe eva or something of that sort. That stiffer layer says 'Orthofeet' on the bottom of it. When I looked online, all I could find for orthofeet was over-the-counter stuff, but she took an impression of my feet and made the blue foam part. Maybe she glued two layers together afterwards.

Then I started reading about medial posts, and I think that maybe that bulge in my orthotics that is so wonderful and making my feet heal is a rear medial post. It is positioned across my foot just alongside the front of my heal, and it seems a little more pronounced on the inner sides than the lateral sides of my feet. Whatever it is, it is just exactly what my foot needed, even more than high arches perhaps. Also, the heel is lifted a little bit which has helped my tendons to heal, in my opinion.

One of these days I might be brave and try to fit these orthotics in another shoe that less resembles a Sherman tank. Oh Carmen, despite all my complaints about my shoes, I found out they weigh 2 pounds. My Birkenstocks weigh one pound, so that is not so heavy as I had thought. They are sure big, though. :)

Carole C

Carmen H on 1/25/02 at 09:37 (071223)

ha! I still think mine are five pounds and plan to weight them today.
They are making my feet hurt a bittoday.
:-(

Carole C on 1/25/02 at 11:32 (071248)

Sorry to hear that! Maybe you will need to 'back off' and then start over with breaking them in more slowly. I hope not. In either case, I still have great hopes for your orthotics, because they seemed to help you even the very first day.

Let me know what they weigh! I could swear mine weighed a whole lot more than two pounds, because of the size of them. I guess a lot of that size must be light materials. Maybe I will weigh mine again later and find out if I was mistaken!

Carole C

Richard, C.Ped on 1/26/02 at 09:19 (071374)

I have used PQ in the past. I have even made myself an orthosis to see what it feels like. I found it very heavy and uncomfortable. After wearing the EVA orthosis for so long, I found that the Visco did not give me the proper support that I am used to.
Richard