Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

flat feet & bunions: should i get surgery?

Posted by Jeanette on 1/22/02 at 15:41 (070890)

I was born with flat feet. I never really considered it serious until now -- my bunions have grown to enormous proportions, and it hurts to walk. I am also noticing that my legs reflect the overpronation caused by my feet. There are several other symptoms related to my flat feet.

I want to get rid of both my bunions, and also raise my arches. Is this even possible, and is it wise to pursue surgery?

Thanks for your response.

Re: flat feet & bunions: should i get surgery?

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/23/02 at 21:28 (071063)

Bunion surgery can help with the pain and deformity. Flatfoot surgery should only be considered if orthotics cannot control your biomechanics.
Ed

Dr. Marlene Reid on 1/28/02 at 23:50 (071747)

Yes, yes and yes. Bunions should be corrected. In fact, they should be corrected BEFORE they are painful to prevent the arthritis that comes with the pain. The important thing is that the RIGHT surgery be performed, one that corrects the actual deformity. Not all foot surgeons and /or orthopedic surgeons address the actual deformity. The sooner you have it done, the easier it is to give the best correction. My ideal patient is in the 30's or 40's. The success rate drastically decreases when you are in your 70's. Too many possible complications, healing problems, rigid deformities, arthritis, etc. Most of my patients are young and are thrilled with their 'new' feet!

DR Zuckerman on 1/29/02 at 18:10 (071841)

Yes your bunion deformity and the flat foot deformity should be evaluated and surgery can remove the pain and deformity. The choice of procedure is very important in the final outcome. IF you are in pain and have problems walking you are the perfect surgical patient provided you are in good health and have good healing ability.

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/23/02 at 21:28 (071063)

Bunion surgery can help with the pain and deformity. Flatfoot surgery should only be considered if orthotics cannot control your biomechanics.
Ed

Dr. Marlene Reid on 1/28/02 at 23:50 (071747)

Yes, yes and yes. Bunions should be corrected. In fact, they should be corrected BEFORE they are painful to prevent the arthritis that comes with the pain. The important thing is that the RIGHT surgery be performed, one that corrects the actual deformity. Not all foot surgeons and /or orthopedic surgeons address the actual deformity. The sooner you have it done, the easier it is to give the best correction. My ideal patient is in the 30's or 40's. The success rate drastically decreases when you are in your 70's. Too many possible complications, healing problems, rigid deformities, arthritis, etc. Most of my patients are young and are thrilled with their 'new' feet!

DR Zuckerman on 1/29/02 at 18:10 (071841)

Yes your bunion deformity and the flat foot deformity should be evaluated and surgery can remove the pain and deformity. The choice of procedure is very important in the final outcome. IF you are in pain and have problems walking you are the perfect surgical patient provided you are in good health and have good healing ability.