Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Heel Spurs....???

Posted by Barbara J. on 1/22/02 at 21:48 (070926)

I am curious about Heel Spurs. I have recently been diagnosed with a heel spur on my left foot, and I had 4 differnt steriod shots in my foot. And it didn't help much at all! I am a severe diabetic with heart trouble. So I was advised by my doctors not to have anymore shots. I am also having problems with my right foot now too but the pain is in a differnt place.

So, I have a few questions...

#1- Can a Heel Spur come up anywhere on your foot?

#2- If not, Is there anything I can do to stop the pain every time i take a step?

I would really appriciate it if I could get these questions answered.
You can e-mail me at '(email removed)'

Thank You So Much!
- Barbara

Re: Heel Spurs....???

Julie on 1/23/02 at 03:37 (070943)

Barbara, I'm not a doctor, but while you're waiting for a response I suggest you read the heel pain book (just click on the blue link) for information about plantar fasciitis, its causes and its treatment. There is a great range of conservative treatments for it, and with knowledge of them you will be able to help yourself.

Just a few basic bits of counsel:

Find, consult and stick with a good podiatrist. A good podiatrist is one who has the knowledge and skill to evaluate your feet - including an analysis of your biomechanics - to determine the cause of the problem. With luck, s/he will also have the patience to work with you until you are better. It can take a while.

Never go barefoot. Keep a pair of shoes by your bedside and never let your feet touch the floor.

Always wear good, supportive shoes. Many find that a low heel is better than a completely flat shoe; high heels are a no-no for most. Birkenstocks have been helpful to many of us; good trainers/athletic shoes also. A 'good shoe' is one that bends only at the metatarsal (where the foot bends) - not in the middle.

Many people with heel spurs' have no pain; many have pain without spurs. When they present together, it is not usually the spur that causes the pain, but the injury to or inflammation of the plantar fascia.

Read the heel pain book, and the message boards, for information and support.

Best of luck!

Re: Heel Spurs....???

Julie on 1/23/02 at 03:37 (070943)

Barbara, I'm not a doctor, but while you're waiting for a response I suggest you read the heel pain book (just click on the blue link) for information about plantar fasciitis, its causes and its treatment. There is a great range of conservative treatments for it, and with knowledge of them you will be able to help yourself.

Just a few basic bits of counsel:

Find, consult and stick with a good podiatrist. A good podiatrist is one who has the knowledge and skill to evaluate your feet - including an analysis of your biomechanics - to determine the cause of the problem. With luck, s/he will also have the patience to work with you until you are better. It can take a while.

Never go barefoot. Keep a pair of shoes by your bedside and never let your feet touch the floor.

Always wear good, supportive shoes. Many find that a low heel is better than a completely flat shoe; high heels are a no-no for most. Birkenstocks have been helpful to many of us; good trainers/athletic shoes also. A 'good shoe' is one that bends only at the metatarsal (where the foot bends) - not in the middle.

Many people with heel spurs' have no pain; many have pain without spurs. When they present together, it is not usually the spur that causes the pain, but the injury to or inflammation of the plantar fascia.

Read the heel pain book, and the message boards, for information and support.

Best of luck!