Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

PF pain and other illnesses...

Posted by Suzanne D on 1/23/02 at 15:22 (071003)

I had not been sick in the 6 months in which I have had PF until I had the flu the last few days. A couple of things surprised me, and I wondered if anyone else had experienced anything similar or had any ideas.

I started getting sick Friday night, and the first two symptoms were tiredness (not unusual at the beginning stages of illness) and my feet hurting a great deal worse than usual! We were at a friend's home to eat and play some games (sitting), and there was no strain on my feet. But they hurt so much that I could not find a comfortable position and had to make excuses a couple of times to get up and walk a little to try to stop the stabbing pain. That seems odd to me.

The other thing I found unusual was that after I started taking the Tylenol Flu pills the next morning, my feet noticably improved and stayed that way the 4 days I took the medicine. Now of course I rested more then, but they felt better than many other days in which I have rested in the past. I continued the medicine yesterday when I went back to school. Although on my feet throughout the day, they never hurt very much. The last dose I took was yesterday afternoon, and this morning I began the day with noticable pain, and it has gotten worse through the day.

I thought Tylenol was not the best for inflammation and had not taken that during the past 6 months. The medicine contains 2 other things - a cough suppressant and something for nasal congestion. It just seemed odd to me the way my feet have 'behaved' during the illness and then today.

I am still learning through every circumstance, so I just wondered what thoughts anyone might have! Thanks! :-)

Re: PF pain and other illnesses...

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/23/02 at 21:48 (071068)

Fever, especially when associated with flu, brings on general body aches but areas that are already inflamed hurt more. The tylenol helped because it brought down the fever, not because it had an effect on inflammation.
Tylenol is also a pain reliever (centrally acting) so it would reduce the level of pain anywhere in the body without an effect on inflammation. Anti-inflammatories such as NSAIDS (eg. Advil) reduce inflammation locally and thus reduce pain as a result of that.
Ed

Re: Thank you, Dr Ed....

Suzanne D on 1/24/02 at 19:08 (071172)

I appreciate your taking the time to explain this to me. What you said makes sense!

Marie P on 1/28/02 at 09:31 (071616)

when i feel unwell my feet ache badly
i think this is because our brains are probably at pain overload and things just feel worse

Suzanne D on 1/28/02 at 15:21 (071643)

I imagine you are right, Marie! Thanks for responding... :-)

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/23/02 at 21:48 (071068)

Fever, especially when associated with flu, brings on general body aches but areas that are already inflamed hurt more. The tylenol helped because it brought down the fever, not because it had an effect on inflammation.
Tylenol is also a pain reliever (centrally acting) so it would reduce the level of pain anywhere in the body without an effect on inflammation. Anti-inflammatories such as NSAIDS (eg. Advil) reduce inflammation locally and thus reduce pain as a result of that.
Ed

Re: Thank you, Dr Ed....

Suzanne D on 1/24/02 at 19:08 (071172)

I appreciate your taking the time to explain this to me. What you said makes sense!

Marie P on 1/28/02 at 09:31 (071616)

when i feel unwell my feet ache badly
i think this is because our brains are probably at pain overload and things just feel worse

Suzanne D on 1/28/02 at 15:21 (071643)

I imagine you are right, Marie! Thanks for responding... :-)