Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Michigan temperature conversion chart

Posted by Valerie S on 1/23/02 at 16:48 (071016)

Hi. I just got this in my email, and it reminded me of all the talk about the weather we've had over the past month... I laughed so hard, thought someone else might enjoy it, too...

-------------------------------------
Michigan Temperature Conversion Chart
-------------------------------------
70 deg.:
Texans still have the heat on and their thermal underwear on. People in Michigan go swimming in the lakes.

60 deg. - 70 deg.:
North Carolinians still have the heat on. Michiganders sunbathe.

50 deg. - 60 deg.:
Californians shiver uncontrollably. People in Michigan plant gardens.

40 deg. - 50 deg.:
Italian and English cars won't start. Michiganders drive with the windows down.

32 deg. :
Distilled water freezes. Lake Superior's water gets thicker.

20 deg.:
Floridians don coats, thermal underwear, gloves, and woolly hats. Michiganders have the last cook out before it gets cold.

15 deg.:
Philadelphia landlords finally turn up the heat. Michiganders throw on a flannel shirt.

0 deg.
People in Miami all die... Michiganders lick the flagpole.

20 deg. below:
Californians fly away to Mexico. Michiganders get out their winter coats.

40 deg. below:
Hollywood disintegrates. Girl Scouts in Michigan sell cookies door to door.

60 deg. below:
Polar bears begin to evacuate the arctic. Michigan Boy Scouts postpone, 'Winter survival' classes until it gets cold enough.

80 deg. below:
Mt. St. Helen freezes. Michiganders run out and rent some videos.

100 deg. below:
Santa Clause abandons the North Pole. Michiganders get frustrated because they can't thaw the keg.

297 deg. below:
Microbial no longer survives on dairy products. Cows in Michigan complain about farmers with cold hands.

460 deg. below:
ALL atomic motion stops (absolute zero in the Kelvin scale). Michiganders start saying, 'Cold 'nuff for ya?'

500 deg. below:
Hell freezes over. The Lions win the Super Bowl.

Re: Michigan temperature conversion chart

wendyn on 1/23/02 at 18:50 (071038)

You know, it's minus 15 F or so here today.

Gross.

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/23/02 at 22:31 (071074)

I finally placed a clear lexan lockable box over my office thermostat. We have a lot of people in the Seattle area who moved in from California--they beleive that 'room temperature' is 80 degrees.
Ed

wendyn on 1/23/02 at 23:25 (071076)

Now it's about 29F outside (from -15 F earlier today).

We can warm up from sudden shifts in the wind from the west. The only problem is that the sudden intense pressure change can trigger migraines and headaches. It also tends to make people irritated and they don't sleep as well. Lately when it's this bad my ears hurt.

But at least it's warmer for a bit.

JudyS on 1/24/02 at 10:02 (071110)

Very funny, Dr. Ed! Here in the 'country' portion of Southern California, we hang sweaters over our thermostats....
Or we just go outside and let yard work warm us up...

Re: *****Typical Texas weather******

Necee on 1/24/02 at 16:09 (071146)

Well it was 72* yesterday, and its 38* today, thats typical winter weather in Texas. Like the old saying goes....'If you don't like the weather in Texas just hang around till tomorrow, cause its gonna change'.
Happy Trails......
Necee

Carole C on 1/24/02 at 16:16 (071147)

It must have been in the 80's here in New Orleans today... it's 79 right now at 4 PM, and pretty muggy! We may get your cold weather tomorrow. :)

It's great to have such variety, and I kind of like rain if we happen to get some.

Carole C

Necee on 1/24/02 at 16:38 (071153)

get ready Carole cause your weather is about to change! It is headed your way! Don't put the winter coats away just yet.
Happy Trails....
Necee

Re: Louisiana's gonna chill out too

Carole C on 1/24/02 at 17:58 (071161)

Oh goodie! yay yay yay I like my winter coat. It's a London Fog and I hardly ever get to wear it though it's not very heavy. :)

Carole C

John h on 1/24/02 at 18:31 (071165)

what is minus 15? what does that mean? is that cold or something. It got into the 50's here last week. brrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

John h on 1/24/02 at 18:35 (071167)

I manage a number of office buildings and shopping centers. yesterday i got a call from one of the tenants that they were freezing. I went to the office space (they have two theromstats and two HVAC units) and one was set on air conditioning at 65 degrees and the other on heat at 80 degrees. seems the girls in the office have a difference of opinion on when it is cold/hot. I would like to put a lock on all the thermostats.

Re: *****Kentucky weather******

Suzanne D on 1/24/02 at 18:51 (071169)

Hi, Necee! When I was growing up, the old saying was always, 'If you don't like Kentucky weather, wait a minute!' :-)

Friday night we got 5 inches of snow, and last night we had heavy thunderstorms. The river is really up near us. It was in the 60's, but today the temperature has been dropping. According to the forecast, early next week it is to be almost 70.

By the way, my tree fell over in the wind, but the birds still came today! We will get it back up tomorrow.

:-) Take care!

wendyn on 1/24/02 at 22:24 (071190)

John, one of the girls is going through Menopause.

wendyn on 1/24/02 at 22:26 (071191)

- 15F is about -24 C.

It's cold, it means you have to plug your car in at night if you want it to run in the morning for sure.

-24 is not real bad though.

It's when it gets below -30 C that like kind of comes to a slow crawl.

That's gross - you get so much fog from cars and furnaces - it can actually be hard drive. It hurts to breathe, and your bare skin will freeze in just a minute or two.

You come on up John.

We'll eat Tuna and talk about it over a couple Molsons.

JudyS on 1/25/02 at 09:39 (071224)

.....or one of the boys is. Or one of the 'girls' sit's right next to the thermostat, or one of them sits in a corner 100 feet from the thermostat. Or the thermostats are functioning improperly. Or the heating/cooling units are.
Or some folks dress more/less warmly than others. Or the youngster who sets the thermostat at 85 doesn't yet pay for her own energy costs so is willing to waste it. More likely though she still thinks she has to dress in sleeveless tops to show off her biceps/etc. Or John h sabotages the whole works just so he can go visit with the ladies.

john h on 1/25/02 at 09:46 (071229)

Wendy: Been there! done that!

john h on 1/25/02 at 09:49 (071230)

Molson is my favorite beer and with a tuna sandwich made 'my way'. We could look out over the frozen tundra and maybe catch sight of a Mounty in his uniform or an artic fox while listening to Jennette McDonald and Nelson Eddy sing some romantic duet. To die for.

john h on 1/25/02 at 10:20 (071237)

Judy: As I type this my bookkeeper just came into my office and turned up the thermostat as it controls the temperature in her office. I can tell you without question that I have more problems with women and thermostats than men. As we have a number of buildings I deal with hundreds of hot/cold people each year. It is mostly the ladies. Why I do not know. The guys just do not seem to care. My wife changes our thermostat at home about 6 times a day. I just look on in amazement. It is an automatic thermostat that will control the temperature to withing 2 degrees so it is obviously her temperature fluxuating. Thank goodness she turns it down at night. I sleep much better in a cold room.

Julie on 1/25/02 at 10:51 (071244)

Judy, I vote for your last option. Definitely.

JudyS on 1/25/02 at 11:36 (071251)

Well OK John h, the challenge is on.
Sounds to me as though you've put an item entitled 'thermostat' in a 'Things Wrong With Women' file.
At our house the thermostat is automatic also. As I work around the house, inside and out, I either work up a sweat or I don't. If I do, then I want to turn the thermostat down. If I've turned it down at some point during my activity, then later sit down and get a chill because of cooling sweat or because I'm no longer active, then I might want to turn it back up - especially if my husband is due home.
WEll, being just a woman, my temperature has 'fluctuated'. Perhaps it fluctuates because I'm active or perhaps it fluctuates because it fluctuates. Maybe some of the women in your buildings are working harder then the men in your buildings - or not. Or maybe the men choose to be uncomfortable so as not to appear weak. Or maybe their desks and/or offices have prime locations not affected by temperature. Maybe the men are not even in the building but rather out at the gym or having martini lunches. Maybe there are far more worker-bee women in those buildings than there are men. Or maybe, just maybe, women and men have different bio/physical makeups. Maybe Mary fiddles with your thermostat because she finds it too hot or too cold.
I would imagine that men will adjust thermostats whenever they want to also. I've actually SEEN my own husband do it! Hmmmm, you're a sensible man so I will assume that you're not judging an entire gender on it's thermostat behavior. Who cares how often each gender does it?
Now, would you like to talk about remote controls? :)

Re: To Suzanne-----Re: *****Kentucky weather******

Necee on 1/26/02 at 00:45 (071345)

Hi Suzanne,
Tell me about your birds. Are you seeing more of them?
We had a Redheaded Woodpecker at our farm. I was sitting in the cabin and he flew to the Mesquite tree just outside our window.
Keep me posted!
Necee

Suzanne D on 1/26/02 at 07:49 (071362)

Hi, Necee! Thanks for asking. We have been seeing more birds - and seeing the evidence that more have been there when we weren't around! Mostly what we see are little sparrows, although we did spy a cardinal one afternoon. When the snow came last weekend, it was so pretty on the tree! The children just get SO excited when they see one fly and land on a branch. I must go over today and put some more feed out. Everything got so wet when we had the storm, and the tree blew over even though it is in a huge bucket filled with rocks. We had such high winds. I had a pretty Noah's Ark bird house/feeder in the tree in our front yard. It had been there for a year and a half, and this storm broke it and sent it halfway across our yard!

Day before yesterday I overheard some of the children in my room talking and one of them said, 'Don't you wish you were a bird? I do!' to which several others joined in with 'Me, too!' until one little boy said, 'Well, I don't!' :-) Perhaps it is about time to begin a new study!! They are sufficienly impressed with birds now and really have amassed a great deal of knowledge about them!

By the way, the librarian announced the school poetry contest winners yesterday, and Jonathan, who wrote the 'Owls are like deerhunters...' poem was one of the winners! He was so pleased, and so was I. He gets $5 in free books at our bookfair next month.

Have a nice weekend! :-)

Re: suzanne---- are you also experiencing the spring weather like louisville, Ky

linda on 1/26/02 at 15:36 (071428)

hello suzanne ! i don't watch too much Tv , so i don't know everyone's forecast . my computer is still in the shop ( need a new hard drive ). i decided to come in the library to delete some junk mail ( 200 pieces ) . the weather is simply gorgeous . i am hoping this will improve my mood disorder ( very depressed ) . take care . linda

Re: suzanne---- are you also experiencing the spring weather like louisville, Ky

Suzanne D on 1/26/02 at 16:11 (071433)

Yes, Linda, I have been out today with nothing but a sweater, and it feels just right. This morning early there was frost on the van, but it was almost melted off by 10:15 when I had to leave to take my daughter somewhere.

I'm sorry you're depressed Linda and that your computer is still on the blink. I do hope the sunny weather lifts your spirits! :-)

wendyn on 1/23/02 at 18:50 (071038)

You know, it's minus 15 F or so here today.

Gross.

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/23/02 at 22:31 (071074)

I finally placed a clear lexan lockable box over my office thermostat. We have a lot of people in the Seattle area who moved in from California--they beleive that 'room temperature' is 80 degrees.
Ed

wendyn on 1/23/02 at 23:25 (071076)

Now it's about 29F outside (from -15 F earlier today).

We can warm up from sudden shifts in the wind from the west. The only problem is that the sudden intense pressure change can trigger migraines and headaches. It also tends to make people irritated and they don't sleep as well. Lately when it's this bad my ears hurt.

But at least it's warmer for a bit.

JudyS on 1/24/02 at 10:02 (071110)

Very funny, Dr. Ed! Here in the 'country' portion of Southern California, we hang sweaters over our thermostats....
Or we just go outside and let yard work warm us up...

Necee on 1/24/02 at 16:09 (071146)

Well it was 72* yesterday, and its 38* today, thats typical winter weather in Texas. Like the old saying goes....'If you don't like the weather in Texas just hang around till tomorrow, cause its gonna change'.
Happy Trails......
Necee

Carole C on 1/24/02 at 16:16 (071147)

It must have been in the 80's here in New Orleans today... it's 79 right now at 4 PM, and pretty muggy! We may get your cold weather tomorrow. :)

It's great to have such variety, and I kind of like rain if we happen to get some.

Carole C

Necee on 1/24/02 at 16:38 (071153)

get ready Carole cause your weather is about to change! It is headed your way! Don't put the winter coats away just yet.
Happy Trails....
Necee

Re: Louisiana's gonna chill out too

Carole C on 1/24/02 at 17:58 (071161)

Oh goodie! yay yay yay I like my winter coat. It's a London Fog and I hardly ever get to wear it though it's not very heavy. :)

Carole C

John h on 1/24/02 at 18:31 (071165)

what is minus 15? what does that mean? is that cold or something. It got into the 50's here last week. brrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

John h on 1/24/02 at 18:35 (071167)

I manage a number of office buildings and shopping centers. yesterday i got a call from one of the tenants that they were freezing. I went to the office space (they have two theromstats and two HVAC units) and one was set on air conditioning at 65 degrees and the other on heat at 80 degrees. seems the girls in the office have a difference of opinion on when it is cold/hot. I would like to put a lock on all the thermostats.

Re: *****Kentucky weather******

Suzanne D on 1/24/02 at 18:51 (071169)

Hi, Necee! When I was growing up, the old saying was always, 'If you don't like Kentucky weather, wait a minute!' :-)

Friday night we got 5 inches of snow, and last night we had heavy thunderstorms. The river is really up near us. It was in the 60's, but today the temperature has been dropping. According to the forecast, early next week it is to be almost 70.

By the way, my tree fell over in the wind, but the birds still came today! We will get it back up tomorrow.

:-) Take care!

wendyn on 1/24/02 at 22:24 (071190)

John, one of the girls is going through Menopause.

wendyn on 1/24/02 at 22:26 (071191)

- 15F is about -24 C.

It's cold, it means you have to plug your car in at night if you want it to run in the morning for sure.

-24 is not real bad though.

It's when it gets below -30 C that like kind of comes to a slow crawl.

That's gross - you get so much fog from cars and furnaces - it can actually be hard drive. It hurts to breathe, and your bare skin will freeze in just a minute or two.

You come on up John.

We'll eat Tuna and talk about it over a couple Molsons.

JudyS on 1/25/02 at 09:39 (071224)

.....or one of the boys is. Or one of the 'girls' sit's right next to the thermostat, or one of them sits in a corner 100 feet from the thermostat. Or the thermostats are functioning improperly. Or the heating/cooling units are.
Or some folks dress more/less warmly than others. Or the youngster who sets the thermostat at 85 doesn't yet pay for her own energy costs so is willing to waste it. More likely though she still thinks she has to dress in sleeveless tops to show off her biceps/etc. Or John h sabotages the whole works just so he can go visit with the ladies.

john h on 1/25/02 at 09:46 (071229)

Wendy: Been there! done that!

john h on 1/25/02 at 09:49 (071230)

Molson is my favorite beer and with a tuna sandwich made 'my way'. We could look out over the frozen tundra and maybe catch sight of a Mounty in his uniform or an artic fox while listening to Jennette McDonald and Nelson Eddy sing some romantic duet. To die for.

john h on 1/25/02 at 10:20 (071237)

Judy: As I type this my bookkeeper just came into my office and turned up the thermostat as it controls the temperature in her office. I can tell you without question that I have more problems with women and thermostats than men. As we have a number of buildings I deal with hundreds of hot/cold people each year. It is mostly the ladies. Why I do not know. The guys just do not seem to care. My wife changes our thermostat at home about 6 times a day. I just look on in amazement. It is an automatic thermostat that will control the temperature to withing 2 degrees so it is obviously her temperature fluxuating. Thank goodness she turns it down at night. I sleep much better in a cold room.

Julie on 1/25/02 at 10:51 (071244)

Judy, I vote for your last option. Definitely.

JudyS on 1/25/02 at 11:36 (071251)

Well OK John h, the challenge is on.
Sounds to me as though you've put an item entitled 'thermostat' in a 'Things Wrong With Women' file.
At our house the thermostat is automatic also. As I work around the house, inside and out, I either work up a sweat or I don't. If I do, then I want to turn the thermostat down. If I've turned it down at some point during my activity, then later sit down and get a chill because of cooling sweat or because I'm no longer active, then I might want to turn it back up - especially if my husband is due home.
WEll, being just a woman, my temperature has 'fluctuated'. Perhaps it fluctuates because I'm active or perhaps it fluctuates because it fluctuates. Maybe some of the women in your buildings are working harder then the men in your buildings - or not. Or maybe the men choose to be uncomfortable so as not to appear weak. Or maybe their desks and/or offices have prime locations not affected by temperature. Maybe the men are not even in the building but rather out at the gym or having martini lunches. Maybe there are far more worker-bee women in those buildings than there are men. Or maybe, just maybe, women and men have different bio/physical makeups. Maybe Mary fiddles with your thermostat because she finds it too hot or too cold.
I would imagine that men will adjust thermostats whenever they want to also. I've actually SEEN my own husband do it! Hmmmm, you're a sensible man so I will assume that you're not judging an entire gender on it's thermostat behavior. Who cares how often each gender does it?
Now, would you like to talk about remote controls? :)

Necee on 1/26/02 at 00:45 (071345)

Hi Suzanne,
Tell me about your birds. Are you seeing more of them?
We had a Redheaded Woodpecker at our farm. I was sitting in the cabin and he flew to the Mesquite tree just outside our window.
Keep me posted!
Necee

Suzanne D on 1/26/02 at 07:49 (071362)

Hi, Necee! Thanks for asking. We have been seeing more birds - and seeing the evidence that more have been there when we weren't around! Mostly what we see are little sparrows, although we did spy a cardinal one afternoon. When the snow came last weekend, it was so pretty on the tree! The children just get SO excited when they see one fly and land on a branch. I must go over today and put some more feed out. Everything got so wet when we had the storm, and the tree blew over even though it is in a huge bucket filled with rocks. We had such high winds. I had a pretty Noah's Ark bird house/feeder in the tree in our front yard. It had been there for a year and a half, and this storm broke it and sent it halfway across our yard!

Day before yesterday I overheard some of the children in my room talking and one of them said, 'Don't you wish you were a bird? I do!' to which several others joined in with 'Me, too!' until one little boy said, 'Well, I don't!' :-) Perhaps it is about time to begin a new study!! They are sufficienly impressed with birds now and really have amassed a great deal of knowledge about them!

By the way, the librarian announced the school poetry contest winners yesterday, and Jonathan, who wrote the 'Owls are like deerhunters...' poem was one of the winners! He was so pleased, and so was I. He gets $5 in free books at our bookfair next month.

Have a nice weekend! :-)

linda on 1/26/02 at 15:36 (071428)

hello suzanne ! i don't watch too much Tv , so i don't know everyone's forecast . my computer is still in the shop ( need a new hard drive ). i decided to come in the library to delete some junk mail ( 200 pieces ) . the weather is simply gorgeous . i am hoping this will improve my mood disorder ( very depressed ) . take care . linda

Suzanne D on 1/26/02 at 16:11 (071433)

Yes, Linda, I have been out today with nothing but a sweater, and it feels just right. This morning early there was frost on the van, but it was almost melted off by 10:15 when I had to leave to take my daughter somewhere.

I'm sorry you're depressed Linda and that your computer is still on the blink. I do hope the sunny weather lifts your spirits! :-)