Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

birkies take the plunge

Posted by paula on 1/23/02 at 18:19 (071031)

i'm the wretch who lost all her muscles with a temporary thyroid illness. now i'm painfully growing back my muscles but walking in my therapy pool is impossible cause no shoe, afo( (1500 dollars) or whatever can help the most painful pf imaginable with water up to my nose and maybe a half pound of weight on my feet. got birkies a while back when i was still walking and have thought for months i'll just ruin em put em in the warm water and see if i can walk in my pool. did it today. walked. am in a little pain right now but seems like a little hope for me maybe. if i am ok tomorrow then the birkies might help me walk again.

Re: birkies take the plunge

paula on 1/23/02 at 18:40 (071034)

i meant this to go in the treatment section. i'm just careening around here lately bumping into things goin ouch.

Re: Congratulations!

Carole C on 1/23/02 at 18:50 (071037)

Congratulations, Paula!!!!! That is just absolutely so wonderful that you were able to walk today in your pool. Take it real slow and easy and don't forget to ice your feet if that helps. I hope that you are ok tomorrow and can walk again in your Birkies in the pool. :)

I'm so happy for you!

Carole C

paula on 1/23/02 at 19:12 (071041)

thanks carol that's great advice. i'll ice my feet. what is the miracle of the birks that seem to work here for so many?

Carole C on 1/23/02 at 19:19 (071044)

They do seem to help! I don't really know why. I am hoping that my new Birkenstock Tatamis (to be delivered later this week) will be even better for me than regular Birkenstocks, since Tatamis have a higher arch and my feet are always crying for that. We shall see!

After you ice your feet, maybe it could help to massage them gently with lotion and keep them up. Don't forget to stretch gently when you get up in the morning. Let's hope you feel this good tomorrow, or better!

Carole C

paula on 1/23/02 at 19:30 (071047)

tatamis? maybe i should buy a pair of them and ruin them in the water as well. i once had birkies that sorta had a heel but they were sandals. i have been so jealous of all of you who walk and discuss your birkies. maybe i can play with the big kids now. carol you are a very kind helpful person to everyone here. thanks.

Carole C on 1/23/02 at 19:45 (071050)

Thanks, Paula. There are some Birkenstocks that are waterproof and meant to wear in the shower, like 'Pacific'. They don't have that great cork footbed, but they won't get ruined. I wouldn't wear them for very long.

Carole C

paula on 1/23/02 at 20:19 (071053)

i've tried one of their pool shoes. didn't work at all for me. i've poured so much money into doctors, physical therapists, orthotics that if i had to buy a new pair of birkies every month it would be worth it.

Carole C on 1/23/02 at 21:27 (071062)

I just got an e-mail from them that says Pacifics aren't made any more anyway. Since Pacifics can't be imported, they can't send that pair of shoes. I think their other shower shoes are more expensive ($60?) so I didn't order a substitute. Oh well.

Carole C

Re: I hope you continue to walk...

Suzanne D on 1/25/02 at 22:10 (071331)

Paula, I just saw this thread tonight. That had to be hard to take that step and try with the Birkies! Are you still having success doing that? I hope so, and I wish you the best in beginning to walk again.

Best wishes...:-)

paula on 1/26/02 at 10:39 (071383)

i am still recovering from my walk but i think i'll be ready to walk in the pool again tomorrow. i'll walk less. my physical therapist says i should time my walks. one minute to start with as opposed to 20 minutes ofthe gurgling idiatic optimism of the other day. it was just a eureka moment tho. there were the birkies smiling at me saying put me on , walk in the pool and the 70 dollars you paid for me be darned. thanks for asking. :-)

Suzanne D on 1/26/02 at 18:22 (071450)

Good luck tomorrow! I hope you continue to have success, Paula! You've got good determination, and that will go far...:-)

paula on 1/26/02 at 18:56 (071459)

suzanne i walked today in my new orthotic plastic afos. in the pool .was in some pain but my new helper (in wheelchair hire helpers) is a great massager and she massaged my feet and ankles and calf muscles for an hour and then ice massaged them, i feel ok tonite. in a little pain but hopeful. and thank you for all your encouragement.

Carole C on 1/26/02 at 21:10 (071475)

Wonderful! It sounds like you are really making progress. :)

Carole C

Re: birkies take the plunge

paula on 1/23/02 at 18:40 (071034)

i meant this to go in the treatment section. i'm just careening around here lately bumping into things goin ouch.

Carole C on 1/23/02 at 18:50 (071037)

Congratulations, Paula!!!!! That is just absolutely so wonderful that you were able to walk today in your pool. Take it real slow and easy and don't forget to ice your feet if that helps. I hope that you are ok tomorrow and can walk again in your Birkies in the pool. :)

I'm so happy for you!

Carole C

paula on 1/23/02 at 19:12 (071041)

thanks carol that's great advice. i'll ice my feet. what is the miracle of the birks that seem to work here for so many?

Carole C on 1/23/02 at 19:19 (071044)

They do seem to help! I don't really know why. I am hoping that my new Birkenstock Tatamis (to be delivered later this week) will be even better for me than regular Birkenstocks, since Tatamis have a higher arch and my feet are always crying for that. We shall see!

After you ice your feet, maybe it could help to massage them gently with lotion and keep them up. Don't forget to stretch gently when you get up in the morning. Let's hope you feel this good tomorrow, or better!

Carole C

paula on 1/23/02 at 19:30 (071047)

tatamis? maybe i should buy a pair of them and ruin them in the water as well. i once had birkies that sorta had a heel but they were sandals. i have been so jealous of all of you who walk and discuss your birkies. maybe i can play with the big kids now. carol you are a very kind helpful person to everyone here. thanks.

Carole C on 1/23/02 at 19:45 (071050)

Thanks, Paula. There are some Birkenstocks that are waterproof and meant to wear in the shower, like 'Pacific'. They don't have that great cork footbed, but they won't get ruined. I wouldn't wear them for very long.

Carole C

paula on 1/23/02 at 20:19 (071053)

i've tried one of their pool shoes. didn't work at all for me. i've poured so much money into doctors, physical therapists, orthotics that if i had to buy a new pair of birkies every month it would be worth it.

Carole C on 1/23/02 at 21:27 (071062)

I just got an e-mail from them that says Pacifics aren't made any more anyway. Since Pacifics can't be imported, they can't send that pair of shoes. I think their other shower shoes are more expensive ($60?) so I didn't order a substitute. Oh well.

Carole C

Suzanne D on 1/25/02 at 22:10 (071331)

Paula, I just saw this thread tonight. That had to be hard to take that step and try with the Birkies! Are you still having success doing that? I hope so, and I wish you the best in beginning to walk again.

Best wishes...:-)

paula on 1/26/02 at 10:39 (071383)

i am still recovering from my walk but i think i'll be ready to walk in the pool again tomorrow. i'll walk less. my physical therapist says i should time my walks. one minute to start with as opposed to 20 minutes ofthe gurgling idiatic optimism of the other day. it was just a eureka moment tho. there were the birkies smiling at me saying put me on , walk in the pool and the 70 dollars you paid for me be darned. thanks for asking. :-)

Suzanne D on 1/26/02 at 18:22 (071450)

Good luck tomorrow! I hope you continue to have success, Paula! You've got good determination, and that will go far...:-)

paula on 1/26/02 at 18:56 (071459)

suzanne i walked today in my new orthotic plastic afos. in the pool .was in some pain but my new helper (in wheelchair hire helpers) is a great massager and she massaged my feet and ankles and calf muscles for an hour and then ice massaged them, i feel ok tonite. in a little pain but hopeful. and thank you for all your encouragement.

Carole C on 1/26/02 at 21:10 (071475)

Wonderful! It sounds like you are really making progress. :)

Carole C