Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

5 weeks post op - now ankle pain!

Posted by Sarah T. on 1/24/02 at 18:02 (071162)

Just wanted to write and see if anyone else has experienced ankle pain after pf surgery. I had the open pf surgery and removal of a small spur on 12-21. I was in a cast 1 week and a removable brace-like cast after that. I put no weight on my foot for 3 weeks but am to attempt to be walking in the brace with no crutches by Feb 1. I'm walking with one or no crutch and staying off my feet for much of the day. My heel hurts in a different spot (more toward the back) and my ankle is very weak and hurts. It also pops a good bit. Should I be discouraged or is this normal? Am I trying to do too much too soon? I don't know. My biggest problem has been that I have the same problem in the other foot and the more I try to do the more it flares up. My surgery foot is still very tender. The incision is healed all but a 1 inch section in the middle. It gets red, hot and a little bit swollen when I've walked on it a while. I would appreciate any input. I go back to the pod. Feb 1.

Re: 5 weeks post op - now ankle pain!

Glennx on 1/24/02 at 21:20 (071182)

Hi Sarah,
Haven't had foot surgery, but have experienced ankle soreness like you describe after being non-weight-bearing on my foot for a few weeks. Tender where the bones come together, enough so that I don't want to put full weight on it. In a few days though, taking things slow, I've been able to work the kinks out and get the ankle accustomed to weight again..

Crystal S on 1/25/02 at 18:38 (071304)

Hi Sarah,
I have the exact same problem.I have ankle pain too that was never there before.I have wondered if it is normal or not and have come to the conclusion that it probably is strained from the way I walk.I bet that is what is wrong with you too.Of course I would love to hear from the doctors on here as to what they think.My foot hurts so bad all of the time that I know I really walk funny and limp all of the time.I also have PF and a heel spur in the other foot that is severely flared up right now due to depending on it to much.What do you do though? I have 2 kids I can't not be on my feet.What has your doctor suggested that you do for your recovery and to help the other foot? I was reading some of your previous posts about your history and it sounds exactly like what I went through.I too waited way to long for treatment and it got severe.It almost makes you wonder if you have caused yourself irreversible damage doesn't it? My doctor didn't have me do any of the stuff like yours did.I was not in a cast,I had ace bandages immediately after surgery.I was told to walk on my foot immediately and I could drive in a week.Then they took the staples out in 3 weeks and the incision came back open and all they did was put steri strips on it and say don't worry about it.Well now I am with a new doctor and he says that he has never seen PF surgery done on the outside of the heel and that I have an enormous amount of scar tissue from it not being closed back up and possibly nerve entrapment due to where the incision is.From everything I have read this stuff is not normal.I think if I had been put in a cast and rested it more some of the problems may not have happened.It is nice to hear someone else's story.It is hard to know what is normal and what isn't.I hope I don't discourage you though.I think I am definitely the exception to the rule.Most people on here do seem to be doing well after surgery.I just had a very bad doctor.I hope to get to that point that I can post and say I am all better now!! I wish you all the best.Please keep us updated and feel free to email me anytime.

Blessings,
Crystal

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/25/02 at 20:07 (071319)

Patients with plantar fasciitis and patients with surgery on their heels often walk on the outside of their feet---that can lead to pain on the outside of the ankle. One trick is to place a lateral wedge on a prefab orthotic to use during recovery.
Ed

Sarah T. on 1/25/02 at 23:02 (071335)

Hi Crystal, Thanks for writing. I check this message board every day in hopes of learning something new that will help me. I've read your posts and sure am sorry to hear you've had such a rough road. I travel an hour each way to see my pod. in Tucker, Ga. I have a lot of confidence in him. He has had me keep my left foot in an ankle brace ace bandage for support. I also wear a rubbery heel pad and New Balance tennis shoes. I tried the Ultracet you mentioned with no success. If I'm not mistaken it was a drug my pod said was for chronic pain. The most relief I got was early in my treatment when he gave me cortizone shots. I had 4 in each foot over the course of several months. He numbs your foot before he gives the shot so that he can really work it in. My favorite part is having my foot numb for the day. After dealing with the pain day after day, month after month, it is just heaven to have a day of relief! I've begged him to just numb my feet permanently. Ha! I am hopeful that my surgery will prove to be a success. I hope I haven't just traded one pain for another. My non-surgery foot already hurts worse and it's hard to know which one to favor. I think I need to stay off my foot more and give it more time to heal. Wearing this boot is hard on my back too because it's taller than my other shoe and that along with using a crutch I really look like a wobbling mess! I'm so tired of whining. I just pray for the day when I can say, 'I feel good' and mean it! I'll be anxious to hear what your dr. says as you go next week so keep me posted. -- Sarah

Crystal S on 1/25/02 at 23:38 (071339)

Hi Ed,
What causes pain on the inside of the ankle? Mine is right around my ankle bone on the inside of my foot and then it radiates into my whole ankle.What can I do about that? Is walking improperly the reason why my foot is so sore in the top and in the ball? My other one has soreness like that too but not as bad and not in the ankle.

Crystal

Crystal S on 1/26/02 at 00:06 (071342)

Hi Sarah,
Thanks for your concern.I have said since I found this website that there was no one on earth that could understand what we go through except someone else going through it.I too have started checking this site to learn anything at all to help.I have learned a tremendous amount too.I also have some rubber heel inserts but they don't really help.My new doctor told me to keep my left foot wrapped in an ace bandage but after a while it hurts to bad and I have to take it off.I think it is just so sore that the pressure is to much.My primary care doctor pressed on my leg down by my ankle at my last appointment and I about went through the roof from the pain.It makes my whole leg hurt.I had a shot in each foot before surgery but I did not react well to it and it made it 10 times worse.Then the new doctor did one a few weeks ago and it was horrible and has not helped at all.So I am staying away from those things.Unfortunately it takes alot to numb me or I would probably just request numbing medicine too. :-)

I sure understand about walking all wobbly.I am definitely not graceful at the moment.I have an ortho shoe and it is higher than my tennis shoe so when I wear it I am totally off balance.My back,hip and legs get so sore it hurts to move.I had an abdominal hysterectomy in November(1 month after the foot surgery) and I was walking like I was 90 years old.I guess it is good that we all have each other to whine to.My husband may be getting tired of it by now.My appointment is not until Feb. 7th because I am having carpal tunnel release surgery done on my right hand on Wednesday the 30th.Now picture this my left foot is a mess and my right hand is going to be a mess and bandaged for 2 weeks at least and the really bad part is that I am right handed!! Then when it is all done I get to start all over with the right foot and the left hand! :-(

My daughter did inform me though that by the time I get done I will have had a complete overall all except for a paint job and that I could have my hair done and take care of that too! LOL! So see when we want to wallow in self pity just remember that it will eventually get better and we can always get a paint job! Talk to you soon.

Crystal

Pam B on 1/27/02 at 19:54 (071571)

Hi ladies....I am having open PF surgery on 2/6 with spur excision and wanted to know where your docs made your incision.......I have an appt on Tue to go over all details of the surgery and have my questions answered so I am looking in here to see if there are questions I would forget to ask......I see where some people have been cut in the heel and others on the inside of the bottom portion of the foot.......I hope to have a successful surgery as I have been suffering from this for about eight years now.......I know that I will be casted for three weeks and non weight bearing but that is really all I know at this point until Tuesday.......I am hoping that the incision will not be directly on my heel as I somehow think that will require a longer healing time......I have already been diagnosed with tibal and posterior tendonitis in addition to the PF an spur......the doc and I are both hopeful that the tendonitis will clear up with the cast and rest following surgery.......if it does not he states I may be facing another surgery but he is hopeful it is the heel causing the problem and that by doing the PF release and spur excision it will help to assist in the tendonitis healing......I just wondered where your docs cut you.......thank you for your input and take care.......I will keep you in my prayers.......

Sarah T. on 1/27/02 at 22:14 (071584)

Hey Pam - Good luck to you in your sugery. My dr. made about a 4 inch incision on the inside of my foot. It's hard to explain, but it starts at the back of my heel just above the part of your heel that touches the floor. The incision goes up the inside of my foot and then angles toward the center of my foot just before the arch. ? Hope that makes sense. My doctor really recommends this open procedure so that he can see what is causing the pain. He also had me not bearing weight for 3 weeks. From what I've heard this is the best plan. I sure wish you the best. My surgery was 12-21 and I am still recovering. My biggest shock was how hard it was to use crutches. I am not physically fit and my arms and stomach muscles hurt very bad! Only time will tell if it will all be worth it. I pray it will be. I will keep you in my prayers. ---Sarah

Pam B on 1/28/02 at 09:40 (071619)

Thank you for the input......I am going tomorrow to get the entire game plan but like I said I have already opted for the open surgery as opposed to the EPF......seems the results are better.....I am not looking forward to the recoup time but hopefully it will give me my life back.....I am a little worried about the tibial and posterior tendonitis I have delveloped from walking like a cripple for so long though......I asked the doc why cant they just repair everything while they are there but I guess they cant do that......seems that all the treatment I went through in the past few months in addition to putting up with this ailment for eight years is not enough torture for one person so they make you wait some more and try more stuff before they can do anything about it......one thing for sure, they will not give me anymore predisone and I dont care what they say.....I hope your recovery goes well and by the way, I too am not looking forward to the crutches......I also just got over tennis elbow and I know the crutches can only aggrevate that again.......but I guess we have to do what we have to do huh?????? good luck to you and thanks for the description, it was very good and I do understand.......

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/28/02 at 15:29 (071646)

Hard to say---would really need an exam to know for sure. Tibialis posterior tendinitis is a possiblity. The tibialis posterior tendon lifts up on the arch and runs from the arch, along the inside of the ankle bone, into the leg.
Ed

Crystal S on 1/28/02 at 23:49 (071746)

Hi Pam,
My surgery seems to be the exception to the rule here.Mine was done on the outer side of my heel toward the end.Kind of straight down from the ankle bone and back to the left (well on the left foot it would be).To my understanding that is not recommended at all due to the nerves that run down into the foot being on that side.My new podiatrist does not recommend it done that way and even the doctors on here didn't seem to think that it made much sense.The incision is also about 4 inches long.I had a walker after surgery.I just could not deal with crutches at all.I have carpal tunnel in both hands and the walker made me much more steady and balanced. I hope your surgery goes very well.It is a difficult road but one that I hope will be worth it in the end.My surgery was 10-3-01 and I still can't walk very well and very much but hopefully the new doctor can figure out why.I wish you the best of luck.

Blessings,
Crystal

Glennx on 1/24/02 at 21:20 (071182)

Hi Sarah,
Haven't had foot surgery, but have experienced ankle soreness like you describe after being non-weight-bearing on my foot for a few weeks. Tender where the bones come together, enough so that I don't want to put full weight on it. In a few days though, taking things slow, I've been able to work the kinks out and get the ankle accustomed to weight again..

Crystal S on 1/25/02 at 18:38 (071304)

Hi Sarah,
I have the exact same problem.I have ankle pain too that was never there before.I have wondered if it is normal or not and have come to the conclusion that it probably is strained from the way I walk.I bet that is what is wrong with you too.Of course I would love to hear from the doctors on here as to what they think.My foot hurts so bad all of the time that I know I really walk funny and limp all of the time.I also have PF and a heel spur in the other foot that is severely flared up right now due to depending on it to much.What do you do though? I have 2 kids I can't not be on my feet.What has your doctor suggested that you do for your recovery and to help the other foot? I was reading some of your previous posts about your history and it sounds exactly like what I went through.I too waited way to long for treatment and it got severe.It almost makes you wonder if you have caused yourself irreversible damage doesn't it? My doctor didn't have me do any of the stuff like yours did.I was not in a cast,I had ace bandages immediately after surgery.I was told to walk on my foot immediately and I could drive in a week.Then they took the staples out in 3 weeks and the incision came back open and all they did was put steri strips on it and say don't worry about it.Well now I am with a new doctor and he says that he has never seen PF surgery done on the outside of the heel and that I have an enormous amount of scar tissue from it not being closed back up and possibly nerve entrapment due to where the incision is.From everything I have read this stuff is not normal.I think if I had been put in a cast and rested it more some of the problems may not have happened.It is nice to hear someone else's story.It is hard to know what is normal and what isn't.I hope I don't discourage you though.I think I am definitely the exception to the rule.Most people on here do seem to be doing well after surgery.I just had a very bad doctor.I hope to get to that point that I can post and say I am all better now!! I wish you all the best.Please keep us updated and feel free to email me anytime.

Blessings,
Crystal

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/25/02 at 20:07 (071319)

Patients with plantar fasciitis and patients with surgery on their heels often walk on the outside of their feet---that can lead to pain on the outside of the ankle. One trick is to place a lateral wedge on a prefab orthotic to use during recovery.
Ed

Sarah T. on 1/25/02 at 23:02 (071335)

Hi Crystal, Thanks for writing. I check this message board every day in hopes of learning something new that will help me. I've read your posts and sure am sorry to hear you've had such a rough road. I travel an hour each way to see my pod. in Tucker, Ga. I have a lot of confidence in him. He has had me keep my left foot in an ankle brace ace bandage for support. I also wear a rubbery heel pad and New Balance tennis shoes. I tried the Ultracet you mentioned with no success. If I'm not mistaken it was a drug my pod said was for chronic pain. The most relief I got was early in my treatment when he gave me cortizone shots. I had 4 in each foot over the course of several months. He numbs your foot before he gives the shot so that he can really work it in. My favorite part is having my foot numb for the day. After dealing with the pain day after day, month after month, it is just heaven to have a day of relief! I've begged him to just numb my feet permanently. Ha! I am hopeful that my surgery will prove to be a success. I hope I haven't just traded one pain for another. My non-surgery foot already hurts worse and it's hard to know which one to favor. I think I need to stay off my foot more and give it more time to heal. Wearing this boot is hard on my back too because it's taller than my other shoe and that along with using a crutch I really look like a wobbling mess! I'm so tired of whining. I just pray for the day when I can say, 'I feel good' and mean it! I'll be anxious to hear what your dr. says as you go next week so keep me posted. -- Sarah

Crystal S on 1/25/02 at 23:38 (071339)

Hi Ed,
What causes pain on the inside of the ankle? Mine is right around my ankle bone on the inside of my foot and then it radiates into my whole ankle.What can I do about that? Is walking improperly the reason why my foot is so sore in the top and in the ball? My other one has soreness like that too but not as bad and not in the ankle.

Crystal

Crystal S on 1/26/02 at 00:06 (071342)

Hi Sarah,
Thanks for your concern.I have said since I found this website that there was no one on earth that could understand what we go through except someone else going through it.I too have started checking this site to learn anything at all to help.I have learned a tremendous amount too.I also have some rubber heel inserts but they don't really help.My new doctor told me to keep my left foot wrapped in an ace bandage but after a while it hurts to bad and I have to take it off.I think it is just so sore that the pressure is to much.My primary care doctor pressed on my leg down by my ankle at my last appointment and I about went through the roof from the pain.It makes my whole leg hurt.I had a shot in each foot before surgery but I did not react well to it and it made it 10 times worse.Then the new doctor did one a few weeks ago and it was horrible and has not helped at all.So I am staying away from those things.Unfortunately it takes alot to numb me or I would probably just request numbing medicine too. :-)

I sure understand about walking all wobbly.I am definitely not graceful at the moment.I have an ortho shoe and it is higher than my tennis shoe so when I wear it I am totally off balance.My back,hip and legs get so sore it hurts to move.I had an abdominal hysterectomy in November(1 month after the foot surgery) and I was walking like I was 90 years old.I guess it is good that we all have each other to whine to.My husband may be getting tired of it by now.My appointment is not until Feb. 7th because I am having carpal tunnel release surgery done on my right hand on Wednesday the 30th.Now picture this my left foot is a mess and my right hand is going to be a mess and bandaged for 2 weeks at least and the really bad part is that I am right handed!! Then when it is all done I get to start all over with the right foot and the left hand! :-(

My daughter did inform me though that by the time I get done I will have had a complete overall all except for a paint job and that I could have my hair done and take care of that too! LOL! So see when we want to wallow in self pity just remember that it will eventually get better and we can always get a paint job! Talk to you soon.

Crystal

Pam B on 1/27/02 at 19:54 (071571)

Hi ladies....I am having open PF surgery on 2/6 with spur excision and wanted to know where your docs made your incision.......I have an appt on Tue to go over all details of the surgery and have my questions answered so I am looking in here to see if there are questions I would forget to ask......I see where some people have been cut in the heel and others on the inside of the bottom portion of the foot.......I hope to have a successful surgery as I have been suffering from this for about eight years now.......I know that I will be casted for three weeks and non weight bearing but that is really all I know at this point until Tuesday.......I am hoping that the incision will not be directly on my heel as I somehow think that will require a longer healing time......I have already been diagnosed with tibal and posterior tendonitis in addition to the PF an spur......the doc and I are both hopeful that the tendonitis will clear up with the cast and rest following surgery.......if it does not he states I may be facing another surgery but he is hopeful it is the heel causing the problem and that by doing the PF release and spur excision it will help to assist in the tendonitis healing......I just wondered where your docs cut you.......thank you for your input and take care.......I will keep you in my prayers.......

Sarah T. on 1/27/02 at 22:14 (071584)

Hey Pam - Good luck to you in your sugery. My dr. made about a 4 inch incision on the inside of my foot. It's hard to explain, but it starts at the back of my heel just above the part of your heel that touches the floor. The incision goes up the inside of my foot and then angles toward the center of my foot just before the arch. ? Hope that makes sense. My doctor really recommends this open procedure so that he can see what is causing the pain. He also had me not bearing weight for 3 weeks. From what I've heard this is the best plan. I sure wish you the best. My surgery was 12-21 and I am still recovering. My biggest shock was how hard it was to use crutches. I am not physically fit and my arms and stomach muscles hurt very bad! Only time will tell if it will all be worth it. I pray it will be. I will keep you in my prayers. ---Sarah

Pam B on 1/28/02 at 09:40 (071619)

Thank you for the input......I am going tomorrow to get the entire game plan but like I said I have already opted for the open surgery as opposed to the EPF......seems the results are better.....I am not looking forward to the recoup time but hopefully it will give me my life back.....I am a little worried about the tibial and posterior tendonitis I have delveloped from walking like a cripple for so long though......I asked the doc why cant they just repair everything while they are there but I guess they cant do that......seems that all the treatment I went through in the past few months in addition to putting up with this ailment for eight years is not enough torture for one person so they make you wait some more and try more stuff before they can do anything about it......one thing for sure, they will not give me anymore predisone and I dont care what they say.....I hope your recovery goes well and by the way, I too am not looking forward to the crutches......I also just got over tennis elbow and I know the crutches can only aggrevate that again.......but I guess we have to do what we have to do huh?????? good luck to you and thanks for the description, it was very good and I do understand.......

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/28/02 at 15:29 (071646)

Hard to say---would really need an exam to know for sure. Tibialis posterior tendinitis is a possiblity. The tibialis posterior tendon lifts up on the arch and runs from the arch, along the inside of the ankle bone, into the leg.
Ed

Crystal S on 1/28/02 at 23:49 (071746)

Hi Pam,
My surgery seems to be the exception to the rule here.Mine was done on the outer side of my heel toward the end.Kind of straight down from the ankle bone and back to the left (well on the left foot it would be).To my understanding that is not recommended at all due to the nerves that run down into the foot being on that side.My new podiatrist does not recommend it done that way and even the doctors on here didn't seem to think that it made much sense.The incision is also about 4 inches long.I had a walker after surgery.I just could not deal with crutches at all.I have carpal tunnel in both hands and the walker made me much more steady and balanced. I hope your surgery goes very well.It is a difficult road but one that I hope will be worth it in the end.My surgery was 10-3-01 and I still can't walk very well and very much but hopefully the new doctor can figure out why.I wish you the best of luck.

Blessings,
Crystal