Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Big Toe Pain

Posted by Deborah F. on 1/25/02 at 09:21 (071219)

Every night I experience extreme burning pain in one or the other of my big toes (it alternates daily or weekly). It's the outside edge of the nail and walking, etc. causes no pain. But at night, the pressure of the blankets causes extreme pain. How can a nail hurt pretty much at night only. It feels like an ingrown nail but I have been to the podiatrist and he said it's not the nail or a fungus. He really didn't know what it was. Pressing down on the nail creates the pain. It can alternate between outside edge of nail and inside edge and some days/night....no pain at all. It's not my shoes. I can be home for 2-3 days in slippers and the night pain is there. Any ideas at all?

Re: Big Toe Pain

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/25/02 at 09:41 (071225)

Hi,

This could be a lower back nerve problem . This could be the start of neuropathy. Is there a history of Diabetes in your family. Could be a bone spur at the tip of the toe but usually that would hurt in a shoe. I would take a x-ray of the toes/foot. This would be my start up evaluation

Re: Big Toe Pain

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/25/02 at 09:41 (071225)

Hi,

This could be a lower back nerve problem . This could be the start of neuropathy. Is there a history of Diabetes in your family. Could be a bone spur at the tip of the toe but usually that would hurt in a shoe. I would take a x-ray of the toes/foot. This would be my start up evaluation