Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Judy and Thermostats

Posted by john h on 1/25/02 at 12:08 (071262)

Hey Judy you sure hit one nail directly on the mark 'women have different bio/physical makeups'! Thank heaven for that. I quit fighting the thermostat battle years ago. I just go with the flow. Women have hot flahes for unknown reasons. Men have hot flashes when they see women. This discussion reminds me of the good old 60's song by Julie London 'Come on Baby Light My Fire'. Now Julie could give me a hot flash when she sang that.song. I am sure not going to mess with your 'thermostat' girl.Everyone knows men are from Mars and women are from Venus.

Re: Judy and Thermostats

JudyS on 1/25/02 at 13:16 (071271)

John h, your reply, complete with light-hearted sexual innuendo, makes me think of two things. One, no matter how hard you try, you can't hide your cute little chauvanistic behind and, two, making jokes or using the old 'go with the flow' excuse is pretty much how I've seen many men avoid, dismiss or disrespect women's credibility all my life.
Now I've gone and gotten too serious.
So, what about the remote control?

John h on 1/25/02 at 18:54 (071309)

judy I am not 'many men'. I am john and not the least bit chauvanistic. Never have been.

nancy s. on 1/26/02 at 02:48 (071351)

my own world is a lot better with you in it, john.

Julie on 1/26/02 at 03:00 (071355)

Good morning, Nancy. Why aren't you asleep?

Yes, John makes all our worlds better.

nancy s. on 1/26/02 at 03:09 (071356)

hi julie! i was hoping i might run into you here. why am i not asleep? because phil and our cat moose both were snoring like buffaloes. i wish it were your time where i am, and i could get up and act normal. but alas, i'm very woozy and will have to return to bed shortly (maybe another bed!) to join the sleeping east coast again.
have a great day, and please pet your 301ducks for me.
love, nancy

Re: The ducks are pleased

Julie on 1/26/02 at 03:33 (071357)

Hi Nancy

I've never heard a buffalo snore! I must listen harder next time I'm in India. I love buffaloes - they're beautiful creatures, and it's lovely to watch them being washed in rivers. But I don't think I'd appreciate sleeping next to a snoring one.

I didn't sleep well either - something to do with some new tea that is extra strong, excoriates the lining of my stomach, and keeps me awake. But now it's 9.30am here now, and I'm off for my swim, which should wake me up. Sleep well. See you later.

The ducks are inexpressibly touched that you should think of them, and appreciate the pat.

Re: The ducks are pleased . . . and so am i. goodnight! eom

nancy s. on 1/26/02 at 04:04 (071358)

John h on 1/26/02 at 09:57 (071376)

Speaking of ducks! There is a famous old hotel in Memphis named the Peabody. There is a ritual that has gone on there for years. Each morning a red carpet is rolled out from the elevator to a beautiful pond and waterfall in the lobby. I believe at exactly 8am the duckmaster marches a group of ducks from soewhere on the upper floors into the elevator and down to the lobby where they ceremoniousy march from the elevator across the red carpet and jump into the pond where they frolic all day. At a precise time at end of the day the duckmaster returns, the red carpet is rolled out, and ducks march back into the elevator and return to wherever. There is alway a large crowd to watch the daily march of the ducks. On 1 Feb the Peabody will take over a large hotel in Little Rock and the duck tradition will begin here. The ducks left Memphis for Little Rock by limo this week to get used to their new surroundings. I certainly hope to be there for there first day with camera in hand. The Peabody in Memphis would be a dream for Nancy S with her love of antiques. It is a living antique. At dinner each night you are serenanded by a harpist. And also Nancy S the antique road show will arrive in Hot Springs in August and people are already screaming for tickets. This is the smallest town on their tour.

nancy s. on 1/26/02 at 10:15 (071379)

the duck march sounds WONDERFUL. i'd give a lot to see it. i hope you'll take pics with a digital camera, john, hint hint hint. also, you have to go to that antiques roadshow in hot springs and take your pipe and your spoon. i want to see you on tv.
nancy

Julie on 1/26/02 at 11:21 (071400)

John, I MUST have a picture of the duck march. Pretty Please.

Quack.

Re: This makes me think of a book!

Suzanne D on 1/26/02 at 16:09 (071431)

John, do you know that children's book MAKE WAY FOR DUCKLINGS? It's a wonderful story - over 50 years old, a classic - which I always use with my children at school. There is the part where Michael, the policeman, stops traffic for the Mama Duck and her ducklings to cross the busy street. That book immediately came to mind when I read your post!

And a harpist! Wow! That would be a treat - both seeing the ducks and hearing the harp in a grand old hotel.

I've never been many places, but I take my children all around the world through books! It's a nice trip...:-)

Carole C on 1/26/02 at 16:57 (071439)

Suzanne, 'Make Way for Ducklings!' was a favorite of mine when I was a little girl back in the fifties. Thanks for the memory. :)

Carole C

John h on 1/26/02 at 18:23 (071451)

Julie you shall have a picture of the Duck March. They were on TV last night doing their regular march at the Peabody in Memphis. These are not the plain white ducks but the colorful Mallards. I do not know how they train them but to watch them come out of the elevator onto the red carpet and walk about 50 feet to the pond is fun. they are uneffected by the cheering crowd. The duckmaster is like the leader of a band. They will do this every day from here on out so I will have no problem getting some pictures. I think the first day the governor,mayor and everybody else will be there.

John h on 1/26/02 at 18:34 (071454)

fortunate for all our Arkansas ducks that this has been the worst duck season in 50 years because it has been so warm north of us the ducks had no reason to come on down. I do not hunt any animal as when I was a teenager I shot a squirril and it did not die and cried. That was the last time I ever shot or will ever shoot a creature. I do no condem hunters as I live in a state where hunting is a way of life but I just cannot do it. Every year in January the U.S. Forest Service counts ducks and geese all over the United States during a 3 day period. For 3 years I flew the counters from the Forest Service to all the major resivours in Kansas. I have seen literraly millions of ducks and snow geese on one large resivous in western Kansas. Eagle by the hundreds follow them to feen on the injured. The way they count the ducks is they take a little plastic open square and count the ducks in one square and then estimate the number of squares in the lake.

wendyn on 1/26/02 at 20:08 (071465)

John, it is not cold north of you now. It's about -30 here (same in F as in C).

Gross gross gross.

Re: Ducks

Julie on 1/27/02 at 03:25 (071491)

John, I love you. You won't kill animals, and you are going to send me a picture of the Duck March.

I ran over a squirrel once on my bike in Greenwich Park. It shot out in front of me and I couldn't do anything about it. It leapt four feet in the air and shrieked, then twitched for awhile before it died. It was 25 years ago and I can still see and hear it.

JudyS on 1/25/02 at 13:16 (071271)

John h, your reply, complete with light-hearted sexual innuendo, makes me think of two things. One, no matter how hard you try, you can't hide your cute little chauvanistic behind and, two, making jokes or using the old 'go with the flow' excuse is pretty much how I've seen many men avoid, dismiss or disrespect women's credibility all my life.
Now I've gone and gotten too serious.
So, what about the remote control?

John h on 1/25/02 at 18:54 (071309)

judy I am not 'many men'. I am john and not the least bit chauvanistic. Never have been.

nancy s. on 1/26/02 at 02:48 (071351)

my own world is a lot better with you in it, john.

Julie on 1/26/02 at 03:00 (071355)

Good morning, Nancy. Why aren't you asleep?

Yes, John makes all our worlds better.

nancy s. on 1/26/02 at 03:09 (071356)

hi julie! i was hoping i might run into you here. why am i not asleep? because phil and our cat moose both were snoring like buffaloes. i wish it were your time where i am, and i could get up and act normal. but alas, i'm very woozy and will have to return to bed shortly (maybe another bed!) to join the sleeping east coast again.
have a great day, and please pet your 301ducks for me.
love, nancy

Julie on 1/26/02 at 03:33 (071357)

Hi Nancy

I've never heard a buffalo snore! I must listen harder next time I'm in India. I love buffaloes - they're beautiful creatures, and it's lovely to watch them being washed in rivers. But I don't think I'd appreciate sleeping next to a snoring one.

I didn't sleep well either - something to do with some new tea that is extra strong, excoriates the lining of my stomach, and keeps me awake. But now it's 9.30am here now, and I'm off for my swim, which should wake me up. Sleep well. See you later.

The ducks are inexpressibly touched that you should think of them, and appreciate the pat.

Re: The ducks are pleased . . . and so am i. goodnight! eom

nancy s. on 1/26/02 at 04:04 (071358)

John h on 1/26/02 at 09:57 (071376)

Speaking of ducks! There is a famous old hotel in Memphis named the Peabody. There is a ritual that has gone on there for years. Each morning a red carpet is rolled out from the elevator to a beautiful pond and waterfall in the lobby. I believe at exactly 8am the duckmaster marches a group of ducks from soewhere on the upper floors into the elevator and down to the lobby where they ceremoniousy march from the elevator across the red carpet and jump into the pond where they frolic all day. At a precise time at end of the day the duckmaster returns, the red carpet is rolled out, and ducks march back into the elevator and return to wherever. There is alway a large crowd to watch the daily march of the ducks. On 1 Feb the Peabody will take over a large hotel in Little Rock and the duck tradition will begin here. The ducks left Memphis for Little Rock by limo this week to get used to their new surroundings. I certainly hope to be there for there first day with camera in hand. The Peabody in Memphis would be a dream for Nancy S with her love of antiques. It is a living antique. At dinner each night you are serenanded by a harpist. And also Nancy S the antique road show will arrive in Hot Springs in August and people are already screaming for tickets. This is the smallest town on their tour.

nancy s. on 1/26/02 at 10:15 (071379)

the duck march sounds WONDERFUL. i'd give a lot to see it. i hope you'll take pics with a digital camera, john, hint hint hint. also, you have to go to that antiques roadshow in hot springs and take your pipe and your spoon. i want to see you on tv.
nancy

Julie on 1/26/02 at 11:21 (071400)

John, I MUST have a picture of the duck march. Pretty Please.

Quack.

Suzanne D on 1/26/02 at 16:09 (071431)

John, do you know that children's book MAKE WAY FOR DUCKLINGS? It's a wonderful story - over 50 years old, a classic - which I always use with my children at school. There is the part where Michael, the policeman, stops traffic for the Mama Duck and her ducklings to cross the busy street. That book immediately came to mind when I read your post!

And a harpist! Wow! That would be a treat - both seeing the ducks and hearing the harp in a grand old hotel.

I've never been many places, but I take my children all around the world through books! It's a nice trip...:-)

Carole C on 1/26/02 at 16:57 (071439)

Suzanne, 'Make Way for Ducklings!' was a favorite of mine when I was a little girl back in the fifties. Thanks for the memory. :)

Carole C

John h on 1/26/02 at 18:23 (071451)

Julie you shall have a picture of the Duck March. They were on TV last night doing their regular march at the Peabody in Memphis. These are not the plain white ducks but the colorful Mallards. I do not know how they train them but to watch them come out of the elevator onto the red carpet and walk about 50 feet to the pond is fun. they are uneffected by the cheering crowd. The duckmaster is like the leader of a band. They will do this every day from here on out so I will have no problem getting some pictures. I think the first day the governor,mayor and everybody else will be there.

John h on 1/26/02 at 18:34 (071454)

fortunate for all our Arkansas ducks that this has been the worst duck season in 50 years because it has been so warm north of us the ducks had no reason to come on down. I do not hunt any animal as when I was a teenager I shot a squirril and it did not die and cried. That was the last time I ever shot or will ever shoot a creature. I do no condem hunters as I live in a state where hunting is a way of life but I just cannot do it. Every year in January the U.S. Forest Service counts ducks and geese all over the United States during a 3 day period. For 3 years I flew the counters from the Forest Service to all the major resivours in Kansas. I have seen literraly millions of ducks and snow geese on one large resivous in western Kansas. Eagle by the hundreds follow them to feen on the injured. The way they count the ducks is they take a little plastic open square and count the ducks in one square and then estimate the number of squares in the lake.

wendyn on 1/26/02 at 20:08 (071465)

John, it is not cold north of you now. It's about -30 here (same in F as in C).

Gross gross gross.

Re: Ducks

Julie on 1/27/02 at 03:25 (071491)

John, I love you. You won't kill animals, and you are going to send me a picture of the Duck March.

I ran over a squirrel once on my bike in Greenwich Park. It shot out in front of me and I couldn't do anything about it. It leapt four feet in the air and shrieked, then twitched for awhile before it died. It was 25 years ago and I can still see and hear it.