Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

surgery

Posted by Gail B. on 1/25/02 at 12:22 (071267)

Just wanted to update everyone. I have been posting and reading on this site for a year now, after having bad results from a endoscopic PF release in Dec of 2001. After developing a mass in the instep of my foot and eventually ending up with constant, excruciating pain and many many doctors and surgeons, MRI's, EMG's, custom inserts, mutlitudes of shoes, splints, boots YOU NAME IT. I am having surgery on the 30th of January, 2002 to repair the nerve damage, remove the mass, release the faschia, and repair to the muscle and also tarsal tunnel relief. I don't look forward to surgery and being out of commission to an even greater extent, but am looking forward to positive results and a wonderful recovery. Thank you for all the support your site offers.

Re: surgery

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/25/02 at 20:10 (071320)

Did your doctor give you any ideas as to how the poor results developed?
Ed

Re: SSD ?

BrianG on 1/25/02 at 22:40 (071333)

Hi Gail B,

I'm sorry that it's come down to additional surgery. I hope you finally get some relief. Did you ever file for SSD? I did, a couple months ago. I got my 1st denial, and am going through the appeals process now. Just in case things go from bad, to worse, you may want to save this website: http://www.footlaw.com
Not everyone qualifies, but from what I remember, there really was no sensible reason why your second surgery went wrong. Good luck, and save all your records.

BCG

Gail B. on 1/25/02 at 23:21 (071337)

Brian,
Yes, I did file and got my denial letter a few weeks ago. My doctor was outraged due to the obvious impact my feet have had on my life in the last few years. I should have filed a long time ago. SO, they are preparing a letter for me to take with me for an appeal process. I was hoping to get the appeal started before my surgery, but as my husband says. Maybe when he pushes me in a wheelchair with my leg stuck up in the air it will have some impact on someone.

GOod luck on your appeal and thanks for the web link.

I am optimistic about this surgery, I am in good hands this time. If only I would have been last time :( My surgeon is one of the TN Titans team doctors, which is also kinda cool!

I will keep you posted on what happens. I am sure my wheelchair will roll up to the computer :)

Thanks for your insight and concern
Gail

Gail B. on 1/26/02 at 08:41 (071368)

It is pretty obvious that the last surgery, done by the podiatrist was not correctly done. The MRI shows that the muscle was cut and traumatized, then reacted by hyperextending into this muscle mass. They assume that the nerves were cut by mistake. I have since found out that there several people who can't walk after being operated on by this man. I am in good hands this time and I am trying to be optimistic and pray for success.
Gail

BrianG on 1/26/02 at 21:26 (071476)

Gail,

Don't be surprised if you get a second denial. You pretty much have to have your feet amputated to succeed during the 1st and 2nd phases. 90% of the people approved, get it at the alj (judge) phase. Don't take it personally, and keep those letters coming in from your doctor. Just make sure you get your appeal form in with 60 days, thats the most important thing at this point.

But don't worry, we are getting ready to spend multi - billions of dollars to rebuild Afganistan!!! Nobody said it would be fair, right! Good luck and don't give up if your not cured.

BCG

Pam B on 1/27/02 at 19:42 (071566)

Good Luck to you.......it is scary to have surgery for anything but your back and feet can ruin you for the rest of your life.....I have had back surgery x2 and am suffering from problems in both feet due to the spinal injury.......and it makes it so much worse because people that have not got a clue how this pain affects your life are making decsions that will affect you for the rest of your life......our system in this country needs a major overhaul......it is bad enough to have these problems but to have a doc that should not be a doc make it so much worse is just horrible......but girlfriend, it sounds like you got yourself a great doc now......and he cares for the best team in football as far as I am concerned......I wish you the very best of luck and please keep us posted......I too will be laid up for a while as I am having foot surgery on the sixth of Feb........I will be looking in here to see how you are doing......you have surly come to the right place for support.....take care and God bless

Gail B. on 1/28/02 at 01:08 (071595)

Thanks so much for the vote of confidence. I wish you luck as well. We cankeep in touch while we are laid up. I think my wheelchair will roll up to the computer right nicely:) i hope!

And yes, this site is a God-send!

Gail B. on 1/28/02 at 01:11 (071596)

Brian, I agree! You know, I am glad our government doesn't just hand out disability to anyone and everyone...but they have all my medical records and they understand that not only can I no longer work, I can't take care of my four children. What is wrong with our system. Maybe I need to write Oprah or Rosie or someone with some money! $$$$......LOL......
Thanks for the helpful hints..Gail

BrianG on 1/28/02 at 18:38 (071702)

Gail, I think I'd write to my Congresman, before Rosie or Oprah. We need the laws overhauled. The decision should be between our doctor, and a rep from the opposition. If the doctor has overwheling evidence, the patient wins. Too many 'middle men' sticking their fingers in the pie right now. Everyone wants a piece! Good luck

BCG

trish e on 2/03/02 at 20:04 (072482)

can you tell me how the sergery went ,painfull, how long out of work,how do you feel now,would you reccammend it for others.

John k on 2/12/02 at 19:48 (073532)

You might try going to a psychiatrist to determine the emotional impact being disabled and in chronic pain is having on your mental health. You could include a psychiatric diagnosis with PF and chronic pain syndrome. This would help with SSD. They cannot xray your head.

GailB on 2/24/02 at 13:14 (074926)

Hi everyone. I just now can get to the computer, my wonderful husband moved it to my bedside.

I had surgery on Jan 30th, It was much more intensive then they had thought but I am on the mend.
I had tarsal tunnel repair:they released the faschia all the way through the foot and up the ankle: they removed the heel spur: and most importantly removed the mass the size of a golf ball that had been so painful for so long. The stiches were taken out on Feb 14th(Happy Valentines Day)....all 42 of them....The pathology report should be in my surgeons hands when I go for my next post-op visit, Tues, FEB 26th. They were pretty sure the mass was just tissue, but tested it anyway.

I can not walk of course, YET. I can not put this foot to the floor at all. I am in the bed b/c when i get in the wheelchair and try to move around much i have severe swelling. I had infection but a good shot and oral antibiotics knocked that out quickly. I am diabetic so they are being extra precautious.

I am going stir crazy now that I am not on constant pain meds. My four children have been wonderful and my husband a saint! Thanks be to God.
Thanks to everyone for your emails. SOrry I have just now gotten an update to all of you.

I filed paperwork for my SS Disability this week. HOPEFULLY something will become of this! My doctor and my surgeon both submitted letters and their strong opinion.

We will not ever know if all these problems come from the laser surgery the podiatrist did in Dec of 2000. BUt I will not recommend himm to anyone, that I can tell you, My problems multiplied after he touched me. We had considered a lawsuit, but not sure now that I am in good hands of a wonderful surgeon.

Dr Jeffrey Herring, with the Tennessee Orthopedic Alliance, Baptist-Nashville TN is to be highly recommended!!!

Hope if there is anyone else out there who is near the Nashville area and in need of a good doctor, heis your man!

Talk to all of you soon@
Gail

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/25/02 at 20:10 (071320)

Did your doctor give you any ideas as to how the poor results developed?
Ed

BrianG on 1/25/02 at 22:40 (071333)

Hi Gail B,

I'm sorry that it's come down to additional surgery. I hope you finally get some relief. Did you ever file for SSD? I did, a couple months ago. I got my 1st denial, and am going through the appeals process now. Just in case things go from bad, to worse, you may want to save this website: http://www.footlaw.com
Not everyone qualifies, but from what I remember, there really was no sensible reason why your second surgery went wrong. Good luck, and save all your records.

BCG

Gail B. on 1/25/02 at 23:21 (071337)

Brian,
Yes, I did file and got my denial letter a few weeks ago. My doctor was outraged due to the obvious impact my feet have had on my life in the last few years. I should have filed a long time ago. SO, they are preparing a letter for me to take with me for an appeal process. I was hoping to get the appeal started before my surgery, but as my husband says. Maybe when he pushes me in a wheelchair with my leg stuck up in the air it will have some impact on someone.

GOod luck on your appeal and thanks for the web link.

I am optimistic about this surgery, I am in good hands this time. If only I would have been last time :( My surgeon is one of the TN Titans team doctors, which is also kinda cool!

I will keep you posted on what happens. I am sure my wheelchair will roll up to the computer :)

Thanks for your insight and concern
Gail

Gail B. on 1/26/02 at 08:41 (071368)

It is pretty obvious that the last surgery, done by the podiatrist was not correctly done. The MRI shows that the muscle was cut and traumatized, then reacted by hyperextending into this muscle mass. They assume that the nerves were cut by mistake. I have since found out that there several people who can't walk after being operated on by this man. I am in good hands this time and I am trying to be optimistic and pray for success.
Gail

BrianG on 1/26/02 at 21:26 (071476)

Gail,

Don't be surprised if you get a second denial. You pretty much have to have your feet amputated to succeed during the 1st and 2nd phases. 90% of the people approved, get it at the alj (judge) phase. Don't take it personally, and keep those letters coming in from your doctor. Just make sure you get your appeal form in with 60 days, thats the most important thing at this point.

But don't worry, we are getting ready to spend multi - billions of dollars to rebuild Afganistan!!! Nobody said it would be fair, right! Good luck and don't give up if your not cured.

BCG

Pam B on 1/27/02 at 19:42 (071566)

Good Luck to you.......it is scary to have surgery for anything but your back and feet can ruin you for the rest of your life.....I have had back surgery x2 and am suffering from problems in both feet due to the spinal injury.......and it makes it so much worse because people that have not got a clue how this pain affects your life are making decsions that will affect you for the rest of your life......our system in this country needs a major overhaul......it is bad enough to have these problems but to have a doc that should not be a doc make it so much worse is just horrible......but girlfriend, it sounds like you got yourself a great doc now......and he cares for the best team in football as far as I am concerned......I wish you the very best of luck and please keep us posted......I too will be laid up for a while as I am having foot surgery on the sixth of Feb........I will be looking in here to see how you are doing......you have surly come to the right place for support.....take care and God bless

Gail B. on 1/28/02 at 01:08 (071595)

Thanks so much for the vote of confidence. I wish you luck as well. We cankeep in touch while we are laid up. I think my wheelchair will roll up to the computer right nicely:) i hope!

And yes, this site is a God-send!

Gail B. on 1/28/02 at 01:11 (071596)

Brian, I agree! You know, I am glad our government doesn't just hand out disability to anyone and everyone...but they have all my medical records and they understand that not only can I no longer work, I can't take care of my four children. What is wrong with our system. Maybe I need to write Oprah or Rosie or someone with some money! $$$$......LOL......
Thanks for the helpful hints..Gail

BrianG on 1/28/02 at 18:38 (071702)

Gail, I think I'd write to my Congresman, before Rosie or Oprah. We need the laws overhauled. The decision should be between our doctor, and a rep from the opposition. If the doctor has overwheling evidence, the patient wins. Too many 'middle men' sticking their fingers in the pie right now. Everyone wants a piece! Good luck

BCG

trish e on 2/03/02 at 20:04 (072482)

can you tell me how the sergery went ,painfull, how long out of work,how do you feel now,would you reccammend it for others.

John k on 2/12/02 at 19:48 (073532)

You might try going to a psychiatrist to determine the emotional impact being disabled and in chronic pain is having on your mental health. You could include a psychiatric diagnosis with PF and chronic pain syndrome. This would help with SSD. They cannot xray your head.

GailB on 2/24/02 at 13:14 (074926)

Hi everyone. I just now can get to the computer, my wonderful husband moved it to my bedside.

I had surgery on Jan 30th, It was much more intensive then they had thought but I am on the mend.
I had tarsal tunnel repair:they released the faschia all the way through the foot and up the ankle: they removed the heel spur: and most importantly removed the mass the size of a golf ball that had been so painful for so long. The stiches were taken out on Feb 14th(Happy Valentines Day)....all 42 of them....The pathology report should be in my surgeons hands when I go for my next post-op visit, Tues, FEB 26th. They were pretty sure the mass was just tissue, but tested it anyway.

I can not walk of course, YET. I can not put this foot to the floor at all. I am in the bed b/c when i get in the wheelchair and try to move around much i have severe swelling. I had infection but a good shot and oral antibiotics knocked that out quickly. I am diabetic so they are being extra precautious.

I am going stir crazy now that I am not on constant pain meds. My four children have been wonderful and my husband a saint! Thanks be to God.
Thanks to everyone for your emails. SOrry I have just now gotten an update to all of you.

I filed paperwork for my SS Disability this week. HOPEFULLY something will become of this! My doctor and my surgeon both submitted letters and their strong opinion.

We will not ever know if all these problems come from the laser surgery the podiatrist did in Dec of 2000. BUt I will not recommend himm to anyone, that I can tell you, My problems multiplied after he touched me. We had considered a lawsuit, but not sure now that I am in good hands of a wonderful surgeon.

Dr Jeffrey Herring, with the Tennessee Orthopedic Alliance, Baptist-Nashville TN is to be highly recommended!!!

Hope if there is anyone else out there who is near the Nashville area and in need of a good doctor, heis your man!

Talk to all of you soon@
Gail