Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I am scared.......

Posted by raving_cutie on 1/25/02 at 17:28 (071297)

Hi i am an 11 year old girl. a dog bit me on my top lip and i had to have 10 stiches and plastic surgry in the summer. I have a birth mark on my bottom lip and i am going to get plastic surgry on that lip too. I am scared of pain now,i'm scared of how i will look and how long it will take to heal. if you have any experience at all plz reply to my message.

Re: I am scared.......

Suzanne D on 1/25/02 at 17:49 (071299)

Hello to you! I have never had plastic surgery, but when I was 12, I fell and broke my arm and had to have surgery to put it back together with two pins. Then in 6 months - because I was growing so much at the time - I had to have another surgery to take the pins out. But my arm healed fine, and I have never had any trouble with it.

I understand being scared! I was a lot more scared before the 2nd surgery than the first as I had time to think about it and dread it. Sometimes a lot of fear comes from not knowing what to expect. I hope that someone in your family can help by making sure the doctor explains what will be done, and maybe you could even visit the hospital and see where you will be, etc. Sometimes this can help.

I imagine you will be given medicine to help with the pain so that it is not too much for you. I don't know about how long it will take you to heal, but I think young people heal better and quicker than us 'older ones', so your age should be on your side!

Talk and ask questions to the doctor, your family, anyone who has any experience. The more you understand, the better off you will be!

Good luck to you! :-)

Carol C on 1/25/02 at 21:58 (071330)

Awwwww...Don't be scared. Although I am MUCH OLDER than you....I understand your fears. I have had two very extensive Plastic Surgery
procedures. Rest assured that your doctor will take excellent care of
you....and know that your family loves you very much and would only take
you to a doctor that they belive will be the best for you.
Plastic or Cosmetic surgeons have excellent skills and are able to
minimize scarring by using small stitches. You will do well. Your
doctor will help with the pain after surgery by giving you the medication
you need. Just remember that those who love you most will be there
for you and PLEASE tell those around you of your fears so that they may
help you overcome that fear before the surgery. You will be fine.
Best wishes and let us know how you do.

rebecca h on 1/25/02 at 23:24 (071338)

I've never had plastic surgery but I have been in the hospital a few times. Be sure and ask lots of questions when you don't understand anything and if you need medicine for the pain let them know right away. It's normal to be scared. Sometimes it helps me to take a few really deep breaths. Also saying a little prayer can give you added courage and strength. Its also wonderful to have someone nearby who loves you. That has helped me through some hard moments. Let us know how you are doing!

Julie on 1/26/02 at 02:39 (071349)

Hello cutie

What an awful experience for you, getting bitte like that. I hope the dog got indigestion, at least!

I've never had plastic surgery, but when I was six I gashed my leg rather badly and the deep hole in it had to be stitched in hospital. Two nurses were holding me down, and I screamed bloody murder. The doctor finally asked me why I was screaming, and I said 'because I want to see what you're doing'. So they let me sit up and watch, and it was very interesting, and I was as quiet as could be.

Something similar happened 50-odd years later, when I needed a wound drained after a surgery. As long as I could see what the doctor was doing, I felt ok, and in control.

Now you probably won't be able to watch your surgery but the point I'm making is: keep your eyes open and look straight at things that happen to you in life. Of course you're scared, anyone would be, but talk to your parents and your doctors and get as much information as you can about what is going to happen. Knowledge is power, and gives you a certain amount of control over things.

I wish you all the best, and when it's all over I'm sure you'll look gorgeous!

paula on 1/26/02 at 10:58 (071389)

hi, welcome here. many of us here know what it is like to be scared and afraid of pain. this is a good place to come to make friends and get support. it makes us feel much better . keep us posted . we are all rooting for you.

BG CPed on 1/28/02 at 22:41 (071736)

I had my cheekbone and eye orbit fractured, now THAT was ugly. You are mostly worried and afraid of what you dont know and cant control, how will it look, will it hurt, what will happen? You will most likely go to sleep from medicine and while you are you wont know anything happened. You will wake up and probably say, I am ready to get this over with and they will tell you it is over already. Also think about how you will have the birthmark gone when you wake up.
My brother got his lip bit by a dog also, about the size of a dime was gone and you cant even tell it happened. Last thing is tell everybody you can only eat ice cream. They also can give you some strong aspirin that will make it feel ok. You may think it looks a little bad at first but when it heals you will be happy with it

Suzanne D on 1/25/02 at 17:49 (071299)

Hello to you! I have never had plastic surgery, but when I was 12, I fell and broke my arm and had to have surgery to put it back together with two pins. Then in 6 months - because I was growing so much at the time - I had to have another surgery to take the pins out. But my arm healed fine, and I have never had any trouble with it.

I understand being scared! I was a lot more scared before the 2nd surgery than the first as I had time to think about it and dread it. Sometimes a lot of fear comes from not knowing what to expect. I hope that someone in your family can help by making sure the doctor explains what will be done, and maybe you could even visit the hospital and see where you will be, etc. Sometimes this can help.

I imagine you will be given medicine to help with the pain so that it is not too much for you. I don't know about how long it will take you to heal, but I think young people heal better and quicker than us 'older ones', so your age should be on your side!

Talk and ask questions to the doctor, your family, anyone who has any experience. The more you understand, the better off you will be!

Good luck to you! :-)

Carol C on 1/25/02 at 21:58 (071330)

Awwwww...Don't be scared. Although I am MUCH OLDER than you....I understand your fears. I have had two very extensive Plastic Surgery
procedures. Rest assured that your doctor will take excellent care of
you....and know that your family loves you very much and would only take
you to a doctor that they belive will be the best for you.
Plastic or Cosmetic surgeons have excellent skills and are able to
minimize scarring by using small stitches. You will do well. Your
doctor will help with the pain after surgery by giving you the medication
you need. Just remember that those who love you most will be there
for you and PLEASE tell those around you of your fears so that they may
help you overcome that fear before the surgery. You will be fine.
Best wishes and let us know how you do.

rebecca h on 1/25/02 at 23:24 (071338)

I've never had plastic surgery but I have been in the hospital a few times. Be sure and ask lots of questions when you don't understand anything and if you need medicine for the pain let them know right away. It's normal to be scared. Sometimes it helps me to take a few really deep breaths. Also saying a little prayer can give you added courage and strength. Its also wonderful to have someone nearby who loves you. That has helped me through some hard moments. Let us know how you are doing!

Julie on 1/26/02 at 02:39 (071349)

Hello cutie

What an awful experience for you, getting bitte like that. I hope the dog got indigestion, at least!

I've never had plastic surgery, but when I was six I gashed my leg rather badly and the deep hole in it had to be stitched in hospital. Two nurses were holding me down, and I screamed bloody murder. The doctor finally asked me why I was screaming, and I said 'because I want to see what you're doing'. So they let me sit up and watch, and it was very interesting, and I was as quiet as could be.

Something similar happened 50-odd years later, when I needed a wound drained after a surgery. As long as I could see what the doctor was doing, I felt ok, and in control.

Now you probably won't be able to watch your surgery but the point I'm making is: keep your eyes open and look straight at things that happen to you in life. Of course you're scared, anyone would be, but talk to your parents and your doctors and get as much information as you can about what is going to happen. Knowledge is power, and gives you a certain amount of control over things.

I wish you all the best, and when it's all over I'm sure you'll look gorgeous!

paula on 1/26/02 at 10:58 (071389)

hi, welcome here. many of us here know what it is like to be scared and afraid of pain. this is a good place to come to make friends and get support. it makes us feel much better . keep us posted . we are all rooting for you.

BG CPed on 1/28/02 at 22:41 (071736)

I had my cheekbone and eye orbit fractured, now THAT was ugly. You are mostly worried and afraid of what you dont know and cant control, how will it look, will it hurt, what will happen? You will most likely go to sleep from medicine and while you are you wont know anything happened. You will wake up and probably say, I am ready to get this over with and they will tell you it is over already. Also think about how you will have the birthmark gone when you wake up.
My brother got his lip bit by a dog also, about the size of a dime was gone and you cant even tell it happened. Last thing is tell everybody you can only eat ice cream. They also can give you some strong aspirin that will make it feel ok. You may think it looks a little bad at first but when it heals you will be happy with it