Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

possible achilles tendon injury?

Posted by ellyn c on 1/26/02 at 08:24 (071364)

playing singles tennis last night my heel suddenly was painful to put weight on. I continued to play for another hour, probably not smart, and noticed pain in my entire foot. My tennis partner thinks it's the achilles tendon. I have a match scheduled for this evening and I would love to know how to protect myself from further injury. I am using ice and ibuprofin, and it is feeling better-but not normal this morning.

Re: possible achilles tendon injury?

rebecca h on 1/26/02 at 14:49 (071426)

I am not a doctor. It sounds like you may have done something serious to your foot. Please don't do anything else that could cause furthur damage. Many of us here on this board stayed active in spite of pain and have developed chronic foot problems as a result. Our feet have limits and if we push them to hard there can be long term consequences. If I were you I would not play that tennis match. I would ice, elevate and rest as much as possible and then gradually... gradually... begin using it again. If the pain continues I would try to find a really good doctor. There is a list of doctors reccomended on this site. Maybe you are close to one of them. Hope you are feeling better soon.

Dr. Marlene Reid on 1/28/02 at 23:29 (071743)

A common tennis injury is rupturing of the plantaris tendon, which runs along the achilles tendon. If you can go up on your toes on the affected side, the achilles tendon is not ruptured. It is common to hear a 'pop' when the plantaris ruptures.

rebecca h on 1/26/02 at 14:49 (071426)

I am not a doctor. It sounds like you may have done something serious to your foot. Please don't do anything else that could cause furthur damage. Many of us here on this board stayed active in spite of pain and have developed chronic foot problems as a result. Our feet have limits and if we push them to hard there can be long term consequences. If I were you I would not play that tennis match. I would ice, elevate and rest as much as possible and then gradually... gradually... begin using it again. If the pain continues I would try to find a really good doctor. There is a list of doctors reccomended on this site. Maybe you are close to one of them. Hope you are feeling better soon.

Dr. Marlene Reid on 1/28/02 at 23:29 (071743)

A common tennis injury is rupturing of the plantaris tendon, which runs along the achilles tendon. If you can go up on your toes on the affected side, the achilles tendon is not ruptured. It is common to hear a 'pop' when the plantaris ruptures.