Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Glenn X

Posted by Carmen H on 1/26/02 at 14:36 (071423)

Hey Glenn!!! How are YOU???

Re: Glenn X

Glennx on 1/27/02 at 16:54 (071554)

Hi Carmen. Must be in another time zone.

Recovery still a ways off. Left foot making reassuring progress. Right still healing @ 5 weeks post ESWT. Inflammation is lessening though, and I remain optimistic.

You always sound upbeat and reassuring, and my impression is you're making slow but steady headway. I hope that squares with what's real!

Thanks for askin'.

RACHAEL T. on 1/27/02 at 18:08 (071555)

Read your msg., & thought I'd write that I, too - 11 weeks post ESWT - am improving.....slowly still, but surely. I have had a few 'minor set backs' but on the whole, my feet are much improved! Time, time, time- I tell myself .....but that is a difficult part, as you well know!

Glennx on 1/27/02 at 18:35 (071557)

Rachael,
Thank you. Most encouraging!
No matter how much I mentally appreciate the need for patience, every little 'set back' and plateau is still unappreciated.

DR Zuckerman on 1/27/02 at 18:49 (071559)

Hi,

Glad you are moving along. Will you get a second treatment if there is still pain in your feet. after 12 weeks

Glennx on 1/27/02 at 19:14 (071563)

Hi Dr. Z,
I almost certainly will continue with further ESWT treatments. The Sonorex people counsel waiting 6 to 12 weeks before a second treatment, which with their Sonocur machine would be two more sessions of some 2,000 bursts a week apart. I'm at 5 weeks now and will call and discuss timing in a week. I am still pretty sore, so I may be closer to 12 weeks out than 6 when I get blasted again.

Considering your experience with ESWT, I'd be very interested in your thoughts on when a follow-up treatment is wise (i.e., should soreness be mostly gone?), and how long after the initial treatment it seems best to pursue a follow up treatment.

I (and Dr. Ed) want to try the ESWT approach for all its worth before considering further options.

I've been much encouraged in this direction by your frequent posts, particularly those that seem to be steering the surgical option further and further down the road as ESWT experience grows.

DR Zuckerman on 1/27/02 at 19:59 (071574)

I agree with your plan. Time seems to be the most important factor. The ESWT treatment stimulates your body's healing, with micro trauma tothe area of non- healling plantar fascia. Accumulative ESWT are very beneficial and can help if no relief or imcomplete relief. So hang in there my friend.

Question is the soreness or pain different then before the ESWT treatment?

RACHAEL T. on 1/27/02 at 21:07 (071576)

Hi Again Glenn! I'd like to ask you a few questions regarding your ESWT post pain & such. How are you doing? How much improvement would you declare? Has your activity level increased? etc...... Thanks for your reply! My activity level has risen & if I weren't a prof. horse trainer with heavy type work & riding; as well as walking in a sawdust floored arena, I'd say I was pretty much capable of everything else - with care! But, due to the nature of my work, a few too many hrs. in the barn does take its toll! As for pain levels - I used to be 8-9-10 & off the 10 charts thru the summer (& that was with anti-inflamm!!); now, I am 1 & 2's & only take a motrin a couple of days per week & definitely around full moon time which seems to stir my feet!! I am still wearing Birk inserts in my riding boots; & Boston clog Birks; & unfortunately, my custom orth. don't seem to be comfy any longer. I think my feet are 'different' since ESWT.....??? Let me know your activity & pain levels.

Glennx on 1/27/02 at 21:07 (071577)

Yes, a bit different. I'd characterize it as soft and fragile, perhaps moving more to the surface. Noticeable discomfort when pushing into it, but not severe. It used to be scratchier and sharper and deeper into the insertion point. Only tolerates maybe 50 percent weight for very short treks. Medium inflammation, but that seems to be lessening.

It's good to have left foot to compare with. LF is tighter and more stiff, like fascia that's bound together instead of being slippery. No pain at all when pushing a finger into it. Inflammation minimal.

Tricky trying to accurately describe the pain. Vocabulary and frame of reference are weak for this. But it was good to take a run at. Thanks for the question.

And thank you too for your input and encouragement.

Glennx on 1/27/02 at 21:27 (071579)

Rachael,
You're well ahead of me. At week 5 I wouldn't declare any improvement as yet, and activity is minimal. But things around my ESWT site are certainly different: softer, more tender. I went into this pretty wounded. Was on crutches more than two years. Repeatedly aggravated the injury with rock-hard orthotics. Over-stretched, over-massaged . . . I pretty much did all the wrong things. Now I know better (mostly) and am steeled for a lengthy recovery time. Right now a 1 or 2 pain level sounds dreamy.

I would think you can anticipate continued improvement. That your feeling? Perhaps too your orthotics need an adjustment, maybe a softening?

Re: Progress...

Carmen H on 1/28/02 at 07:29 (071603)

Yes I am making progress with a couple tiny set backs...nothing permanent though.
I tell you...afte the NST and kin. got rid of the burning in my feet, back and glutes I told myself I would be grateful that dreadful burning was gone and deal with what I had to at that point. this is nothing compared to that discomfort and pain.
I am a pretty cheerful person anyway....I am the one who says Hi! How are YOU? to anyone that helps me at the stores....that talks to liitle kids as they walk by...I just have a yearning to be kind. It's strange. My husband laughs and says 'Hon...you need to work in the nursery at church or something! That poor dog of ours is getting suffocated from all your hugging.'
:-) I tell him...either the dog or you Mister!
Glad you are improving...I look for your name to see how things are going. Keep us posted. :-)

Re: making friends...

Suzanne D on 1/28/02 at 16:12 (071653)

Carmen, what you said about saying 'Hi!' and 'How are you?' to everyone you come in contact rang a bell with me. My daughers have teased me and said I am the only one they know who makes friends with the Schwann's delivery man and anyone else I happen to meet up with. It's just me; I think I am turning into my mother! :-)

Through some unusual events, a new teacher from NY ended up across the hall from me 3 years ago. I 'mothered' him and frequently ran across the hall to check on him and try to encourage him in his first year of teaching. I think at first he didn't know WHAT to think - thought he had landed in Mayberry USA - but eventually he became a good friend to my entire family. He eats with us regularly, and we have take a few trips together.

Making friends always pays off! :=)

John h on 1/28/02 at 16:42 (071657)

Glenn: No matter how many times I have them set backs are a terrible disappointment to deal with. You just do not get accustomed to them.

John h on 1/28/02 at 16:44 (071658)

Dr. Z do you have a new machine? If so, do you think it puts out the same power at the same setting? Are you still using around a 16 or 18 setting?

Glennx on 1/28/02 at 16:59 (071663)

I hear you buddy. It is, and always will be the wrong direction.

However, if I can learn from a setback that helps moderate the disappointment. I've at least learned a lot in the past six months.

Glennx on 1/28/02 at 17:09 (071670)

Is it possible to suffer an overdose of loving hugs? My dogs have always awed me with their unselfishness, beaming attitude, and great health. Perhaps all the fond attention they, and most dogs seem to get, helps.

I found your posts about your NST experience interesting. Via the web, found a local practioner. Haven't gone, but it's nice to have that in my arsenal.

DR Zuckerman on 1/28/02 at 19:05 (071706)

We are still using 16 kv. There are a few new tricks that have made the treatment even more effective then before.

John h on 1/29/02 at 17:18 (071835)

Glenn: No way to overdose on loving hugs.

Carmen H on 1/30/02 at 21:31 (072014)

WE used to tease my mom...and then I grew up and I am now her. :-) and prooud of it!
;-)

Carmen H on 1/30/02 at 21:32 (072015)

Wonderful for you! Let me know what you experience if you go that route...
NEVER possible to overdose on hugs....;-)

Glennx on 1/27/02 at 16:54 (071554)

Hi Carmen. Must be in another time zone.

Recovery still a ways off. Left foot making reassuring progress. Right still healing @ 5 weeks post ESWT. Inflammation is lessening though, and I remain optimistic.

You always sound upbeat and reassuring, and my impression is you're making slow but steady headway. I hope that squares with what's real!

Thanks for askin'.

RACHAEL T. on 1/27/02 at 18:08 (071555)

Read your msg., & thought I'd write that I, too - 11 weeks post ESWT - am improving.....slowly still, but surely. I have had a few 'minor set backs' but on the whole, my feet are much improved! Time, time, time- I tell myself .....but that is a difficult part, as you well know!

Glennx on 1/27/02 at 18:35 (071557)

Rachael,
Thank you. Most encouraging!
No matter how much I mentally appreciate the need for patience, every little 'set back' and plateau is still unappreciated.

DR Zuckerman on 1/27/02 at 18:49 (071559)

Hi,

Glad you are moving along. Will you get a second treatment if there is still pain in your feet. after 12 weeks

Glennx on 1/27/02 at 19:14 (071563)

Hi Dr. Z,
I almost certainly will continue with further ESWT treatments. The Sonorex people counsel waiting 6 to 12 weeks before a second treatment, which with their Sonocur machine would be two more sessions of some 2,000 bursts a week apart. I'm at 5 weeks now and will call and discuss timing in a week. I am still pretty sore, so I may be closer to 12 weeks out than 6 when I get blasted again.

Considering your experience with ESWT, I'd be very interested in your thoughts on when a follow-up treatment is wise (i.e., should soreness be mostly gone?), and how long after the initial treatment it seems best to pursue a follow up treatment.

I (and Dr. Ed) want to try the ESWT approach for all its worth before considering further options.

I've been much encouraged in this direction by your frequent posts, particularly those that seem to be steering the surgical option further and further down the road as ESWT experience grows.

DR Zuckerman on 1/27/02 at 19:59 (071574)

I agree with your plan. Time seems to be the most important factor. The ESWT treatment stimulates your body's healing, with micro trauma tothe area of non- healling plantar fascia. Accumulative ESWT are very beneficial and can help if no relief or imcomplete relief. So hang in there my friend.

Question is the soreness or pain different then before the ESWT treatment?

RACHAEL T. on 1/27/02 at 21:07 (071576)

Hi Again Glenn! I'd like to ask you a few questions regarding your ESWT post pain & such. How are you doing? How much improvement would you declare? Has your activity level increased? etc...... Thanks for your reply! My activity level has risen & if I weren't a prof. horse trainer with heavy type work & riding; as well as walking in a sawdust floored arena, I'd say I was pretty much capable of everything else - with care! But, due to the nature of my work, a few too many hrs. in the barn does take its toll! As for pain levels - I used to be 8-9-10 & off the 10 charts thru the summer (& that was with anti-inflamm!!); now, I am 1 & 2's & only take a motrin a couple of days per week & definitely around full moon time which seems to stir my feet!! I am still wearing Birk inserts in my riding boots; & Boston clog Birks; & unfortunately, my custom orth. don't seem to be comfy any longer. I think my feet are 'different' since ESWT.....??? Let me know your activity & pain levels.

Glennx on 1/27/02 at 21:07 (071577)

Yes, a bit different. I'd characterize it as soft and fragile, perhaps moving more to the surface. Noticeable discomfort when pushing into it, but not severe. It used to be scratchier and sharper and deeper into the insertion point. Only tolerates maybe 50 percent weight for very short treks. Medium inflammation, but that seems to be lessening.

It's good to have left foot to compare with. LF is tighter and more stiff, like fascia that's bound together instead of being slippery. No pain at all when pushing a finger into it. Inflammation minimal.

Tricky trying to accurately describe the pain. Vocabulary and frame of reference are weak for this. But it was good to take a run at. Thanks for the question.

And thank you too for your input and encouragement.

Glennx on 1/27/02 at 21:27 (071579)

Rachael,
You're well ahead of me. At week 5 I wouldn't declare any improvement as yet, and activity is minimal. But things around my ESWT site are certainly different: softer, more tender. I went into this pretty wounded. Was on crutches more than two years. Repeatedly aggravated the injury with rock-hard orthotics. Over-stretched, over-massaged . . . I pretty much did all the wrong things. Now I know better (mostly) and am steeled for a lengthy recovery time. Right now a 1 or 2 pain level sounds dreamy.

I would think you can anticipate continued improvement. That your feeling? Perhaps too your orthotics need an adjustment, maybe a softening?

Carmen H on 1/28/02 at 07:29 (071603)

Yes I am making progress with a couple tiny set backs...nothing permanent though.
I tell you...afte the NST and kin. got rid of the burning in my feet, back and glutes I told myself I would be grateful that dreadful burning was gone and deal with what I had to at that point. this is nothing compared to that discomfort and pain.
I am a pretty cheerful person anyway....I am the one who says Hi! How are YOU? to anyone that helps me at the stores....that talks to liitle kids as they walk by...I just have a yearning to be kind. It's strange. My husband laughs and says 'Hon...you need to work in the nursery at church or something! That poor dog of ours is getting suffocated from all your hugging.'
:-) I tell him...either the dog or you Mister!
Glad you are improving...I look for your name to see how things are going. Keep us posted. :-)

Suzanne D on 1/28/02 at 16:12 (071653)

Carmen, what you said about saying 'Hi!' and 'How are you?' to everyone you come in contact rang a bell with me. My daughers have teased me and said I am the only one they know who makes friends with the Schwann's delivery man and anyone else I happen to meet up with. It's just me; I think I am turning into my mother! :-)

Through some unusual events, a new teacher from NY ended up across the hall from me 3 years ago. I 'mothered' him and frequently ran across the hall to check on him and try to encourage him in his first year of teaching. I think at first he didn't know WHAT to think - thought he had landed in Mayberry USA - but eventually he became a good friend to my entire family. He eats with us regularly, and we have take a few trips together.

Making friends always pays off! :=)

John h on 1/28/02 at 16:42 (071657)

Glenn: No matter how many times I have them set backs are a terrible disappointment to deal with. You just do not get accustomed to them.

John h on 1/28/02 at 16:44 (071658)

Dr. Z do you have a new machine? If so, do you think it puts out the same power at the same setting? Are you still using around a 16 or 18 setting?

Glennx on 1/28/02 at 16:59 (071663)

I hear you buddy. It is, and always will be the wrong direction.

However, if I can learn from a setback that helps moderate the disappointment. I've at least learned a lot in the past six months.

Glennx on 1/28/02 at 17:09 (071670)

Is it possible to suffer an overdose of loving hugs? My dogs have always awed me with their unselfishness, beaming attitude, and great health. Perhaps all the fond attention they, and most dogs seem to get, helps.

I found your posts about your NST experience interesting. Via the web, found a local practioner. Haven't gone, but it's nice to have that in my arsenal.

DR Zuckerman on 1/28/02 at 19:05 (071706)

We are still using 16 kv. There are a few new tricks that have made the treatment even more effective then before.

John h on 1/29/02 at 17:18 (071835)

Glenn: No way to overdose on loving hugs.

Carmen H on 1/30/02 at 21:31 (072014)

WE used to tease my mom...and then I grew up and I am now her. :-) and prooud of it!
;-)

Carmen H on 1/30/02 at 21:32 (072015)

Wonderful for you! Let me know what you experience if you go that route...
NEVER possible to overdose on hugs....;-)