Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Shower Shoes

Posted by Carole C on 1/27/02 at 10:41 (071514)

This is a report on my new Nike (temporary) shower shoes, and a request for suggestions for shower shoes that would give me more arch support. I have a shower stool, but like to stand for a few minutes at the end of my shower just to get completely clean.

Originally I ordered some waterproof Birkenstocks online, but found out that the style I ordered (Pacifics) are no longer being made. Then I went to my local Birkenstock store, but she didn't have any waterproof Birkenstocks in stock, so I went elsewhere and bought Nike sandals.

These Nike Loxahatchees are waterproof sandals with soles like tire treads (and they are not slippery soles). They have Velcro fastenings, and a more or less flat footbed and no arch support to speak of. These only cost $20 and will be my temporary shower shoes.

I like the velcro because I can fasten them fairly tightly, and this helps to support my PF a little. Most of my shower is sitting down on the stool, and then while sitting I put on the Nikes and then stand. I found that they seemed to work all right for a short period of time, but not for longer than five minutes or so. They are much better than being barefoot because they get my feet off the hard ceramic tub/shower.

Suggestions for a better brand and style of shower shoe are very welcome, especially for Birkenstocks but for any other brand too. What do you use, and do you like them?

Carole C

Re: Shower Shoes

Julie on 1/27/02 at 10:49 (071516)

Carole, perhaps you should try the Birkis (the one I confused everyone with yesterday). They look like Arizonas, and have a moulded footbed, and some arch support. As I said yesterday, they're adequate for walking between the locker room and the pool, and I'm sure they'd be adequate in the shower.

Other people have posted about other satisfactory shower shoes in the past - try a search on 'shower shoes' and see what it turns up.

Carole C on 1/27/02 at 11:04 (071518)

Thanks, Julie. I have to admit that I was kind of confused by that thread. Online communications can sometimes do that to me! Also, I wasn't sure from that thread if you felt one could stand in Birki's for more than five minutes either, so thanks for the clarification.

I guess a search is always in order before posting, but I must admit that I don't always do that. I hope my post didn't clutter up the board!

Carole C

rebecca h on 1/27/02 at 14:59 (071537)

Your posts are never clutter, Carole. I always look forward to reading them because they are encouraging and often bring up interesting helpful subjects. I need to get some shower shoes, too. I'm tired of only baths.

Carole C on 1/27/02 at 15:14 (071540)

Thanks. I don't think that Julie meant they were, either. After I punched 'send' I thought maybe my post sounded like that is what I thought. I could have phrased it better.

Carole C

Julie on 1/27/02 at 10:49 (071516)

Carole, perhaps you should try the Birkis (the one I confused everyone with yesterday). They look like Arizonas, and have a moulded footbed, and some arch support. As I said yesterday, they're adequate for walking between the locker room and the pool, and I'm sure they'd be adequate in the shower.

Other people have posted about other satisfactory shower shoes in the past - try a search on 'shower shoes' and see what it turns up.

Carole C on 1/27/02 at 11:04 (071518)

Thanks, Julie. I have to admit that I was kind of confused by that thread. Online communications can sometimes do that to me! Also, I wasn't sure from that thread if you felt one could stand in Birki's for more than five minutes either, so thanks for the clarification.

I guess a search is always in order before posting, but I must admit that I don't always do that. I hope my post didn't clutter up the board!

Carole C

rebecca h on 1/27/02 at 14:59 (071537)

Your posts are never clutter, Carole. I always look forward to reading them because they are encouraging and often bring up interesting helpful subjects. I need to get some shower shoes, too. I'm tired of only baths.

Carole C on 1/27/02 at 15:14 (071540)

Thanks. I don't think that Julie meant they were, either. After I punched 'send' I thought maybe my post sounded like that is what I thought. I could have phrased it better.

Carole C