Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Went to Wal-Mart and it doesn't hurt !?!

Posted by Carole C on 1/27/02 at 15:48 (071549)

I went to Wal-Mart today.... RAH RAH RAH!!!! LOL This is a step beyond what I have been allowing myself. I browsed leisurely through the majority of aisles in the store, skipping automotive and such that don't interest me. I bought nothing exciting... just underwear, socks, an extension cord, and some frozen low fat food.

What's amazing is that my feet didn't really hurt, even towards the end. Sometimes I had to shift my weight from one foot to the other, etc but I really suffered no undue pain and no tearing feelings. I was wearing my Birkenstocks, and the arch support they give me is beginning to feel adequate rather than too low, at least for this period of time. That surprised me too. I felt a little pulling on my Achilles tendon but I expected that because of the low heel of the Birkenstocks.

Even though I don't hurt, I'm going to ice them tonight just to stay on the safe side, and I'm going to rest a lot between now and Wednesday when I have to go up to LSU and walk around a bit for work. But isn't this cool? I think I see the light at the end of the tunnel. Being *more* cautious about doing things than I feel I need to be, seems to be the big secret of recovering from PF, for me though we each differ.

Carole C

Re: Wonderful!!!

Suzanne D on 1/27/02 at 19:46 (071568)

I remember, Carole, when that trip to Wal-Mart was only a DREAM for you!! I am SO glad that it has already happened! It makes me feel really good to read of the good news of my friends! :-)

Carole C on 1/27/02 at 21:44 (071580)

Thank you, Suzanne! I am so amazed too. I hope it lasts. And, I will feel so happy when (not if, but when!!) all of us are feeling better too. I can not think of a group of sweeter, kinder, and more caring people than those that I have 'met' on this board.

My feet are still not sore, although they feel a little tired. That's understandable, since probably I need to build muscle in them again. I'm going to do my night blooming jasmine massage soon and then let them relax and rest while I sleep.

Carole C

Mahatmelissama on 1/28/02 at 18:28 (071699)

Carole,

That is so wonderful! I was inspired by your story about when you got your orthopaedics and
SAS shoes so much, I went to a store and got orthos. My feet still
hurt...so I am getting them readjusted a 2nd time on Wed. Please
wish me luck. Someday, I hope to be actually browsing in Walmart and not
rushing through, trying to beat the pain starting in my feet.

I just got through a mini-meeting in someone's office. I stood on my feet for
15 minutes and suddenly the pain started...that sore sore pain. I hate that.

Wish me luck. I think I am going to have him bring out some SAS shoes and also raise up the orthos in the back since my heels and sometimes lower arch areas hurt.

Carole C in NOLA on 1/28/02 at 18:53 (071703)

Good luck, Mehamelissama! One thing confuses me..... you said you went to a store and got orthotics. You didn't go to a podiatrist or C.Ped.? It's really important to get what your individual feet need to heal them.

Good luck with your adjustment! I hope it helps.

Carole C

Mahatmelissama on 1/28/02 at 19:36 (071711)

Hi Carole,

Thanks for the encouragement. I went to a ped at the store before i
went to a pod. The pod just recommended OTC stuff, stretches and said
'Any questions? C YA in 6 weeks'. Also, my x-ray 'looked good'. Being
terminally pro-active and desperate, I am trying everything I can.

Carole C in NOLA on 1/28/02 at 19:54 (071712)

Nothing wrong with trying everything! That's what I've been doing too. I just wish it was working better for you. Maybe it will just take longer. It does seem like nothing works instantly in PF, and it takes such a LOOOOONG time to heal.

For me, lots of rest (like, the whole of a 3-4 day holiday weekend except for 6 feet to the bathroom, otherwise with my feet up, and doing little but going to work for the rest of the week) really helps. Never taking one step without my orthotics or Birkenstocks helps, and doing my stretching. My shower stool helped.

But from what I can understand from this board, what helps one person may not help another. I wish I could think of something that could help you! All I can say is to just keep trying, never give up hope, and keep reading this board. It really helped me, anyway.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 1/28/02 at 20:01 (071713)

Also, I should mention that I am probably healing faster than some people because i haven't had PF for very long, and because it was caused by riding my exercycle barefoot with the seat too far back. I stopped doing that and started trying conservative treatments a month or two into my PF. So, probably I was unlikely to become a 'hard core case' of PF, although I was so miserable before Christmas, and spent November and December thinking I would never feel better.

Still, it IS possible to get better. It may just be taking you longer and you might have to try more things, but you CAN get there, eventually.

Carole C

Suzanne D on 1/27/02 at 19:46 (071568)

I remember, Carole, when that trip to Wal-Mart was only a DREAM for you!! I am SO glad that it has already happened! It makes me feel really good to read of the good news of my friends! :-)

Carole C on 1/27/02 at 21:44 (071580)

Thank you, Suzanne! I am so amazed too. I hope it lasts. And, I will feel so happy when (not if, but when!!) all of us are feeling better too. I can not think of a group of sweeter, kinder, and more caring people than those that I have 'met' on this board.

My feet are still not sore, although they feel a little tired. That's understandable, since probably I need to build muscle in them again. I'm going to do my night blooming jasmine massage soon and then let them relax and rest while I sleep.

Carole C

Mahatmelissama on 1/28/02 at 18:28 (071699)

Carole,

That is so wonderful! I was inspired by your story about when you got your orthopaedics and
SAS shoes so much, I went to a store and got orthos. My feet still
hurt...so I am getting them readjusted a 2nd time on Wed. Please
wish me luck. Someday, I hope to be actually browsing in Walmart and not
rushing through, trying to beat the pain starting in my feet.

I just got through a mini-meeting in someone's office. I stood on my feet for
15 minutes and suddenly the pain started...that sore sore pain. I hate that.

Wish me luck. I think I am going to have him bring out some SAS shoes and also raise up the orthos in the back since my heels and sometimes lower arch areas hurt.

Carole C in NOLA on 1/28/02 at 18:53 (071703)

Good luck, Mehamelissama! One thing confuses me..... you said you went to a store and got orthotics. You didn't go to a podiatrist or C.Ped.? It's really important to get what your individual feet need to heal them.

Good luck with your adjustment! I hope it helps.

Carole C

Mahatmelissama on 1/28/02 at 19:36 (071711)

Hi Carole,

Thanks for the encouragement. I went to a ped at the store before i
went to a pod. The pod just recommended OTC stuff, stretches and said
'Any questions? C YA in 6 weeks'. Also, my x-ray 'looked good'. Being
terminally pro-active and desperate, I am trying everything I can.

Carole C in NOLA on 1/28/02 at 19:54 (071712)

Nothing wrong with trying everything! That's what I've been doing too. I just wish it was working better for you. Maybe it will just take longer. It does seem like nothing works instantly in PF, and it takes such a LOOOOONG time to heal.

For me, lots of rest (like, the whole of a 3-4 day holiday weekend except for 6 feet to the bathroom, otherwise with my feet up, and doing little but going to work for the rest of the week) really helps. Never taking one step without my orthotics or Birkenstocks helps, and doing my stretching. My shower stool helped.

But from what I can understand from this board, what helps one person may not help another. I wish I could think of something that could help you! All I can say is to just keep trying, never give up hope, and keep reading this board. It really helped me, anyway.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 1/28/02 at 20:01 (071713)

Also, I should mention that I am probably healing faster than some people because i haven't had PF for very long, and because it was caused by riding my exercycle barefoot with the seat too far back. I stopped doing that and started trying conservative treatments a month or two into my PF. So, probably I was unlikely to become a 'hard core case' of PF, although I was so miserable before Christmas, and spent November and December thinking I would never feel better.

Still, it IS possible to get better. It may just be taking you longer and you might have to try more things, but you CAN get there, eventually.

Carole C