Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

morning pain

Posted by Marie P on 1/28/02 at 09:28 (071615)

how many people wake and feel like they just stood up and their feet may as well have exploded as they hurt so bl**dy much????

Re: morning pain

D.Thomas on 1/28/02 at 09:32 (071617)

Marie P.,

I had that feeling for about three months. It was the worst pain I have ever experienced in my life. There were many days I didn't want to get out of bed and deal with the pain. It was very depressing. Hang in there!

Marie P on 1/28/02 at 09:50 (071620)

i am hanging in there but when this goes on for years it gets so tears come to my eyes when i think about it
the same pain also hits when i haven't moved feet for a while so now i try and constantly move them but with achilles tendonitis as well i feel like giving up and having both legs removed some days

Carole C on 1/28/02 at 11:50 (071632)

Marie, don't forget to do your gentle stretching before you get out of bed! It does help if you keep it up, and do it several times a day. Remember to never stand barefoot, and read Scott's heel pain book (on this site) and try different ideas that you may get from the book and from this board. You can get through this. My best wishes for your rapid recovery!

Carole C

Suzanne D on 1/28/02 at 14:38 (071637)

Marie, I am sorry you are in so much pain. Yes, many of us can identify with that awful morning pain. As Carole C. suggested, gentle stretching DOES make a big difference to me as well as slipping my feet immediately into my Birkenstock sandals. When all this started for me last summer, I used to hate to wake in the night, needing to make a trip to the restroom. I just dreaded getting out of bed and putting my feet on the floor. I still have pain, but not as much. I hope you get relief SOON!

Julie on 1/28/02 at 17:07 (071667)

Marie, don't forget that two precious years went by without your getting any helpful advice or treatment. You're on the right track now, so please be hopeful: you will get better.

And hang onto your legs. You'll need them.

Lisa P on 1/28/02 at 20:51 (071720)

Marie!
I can so relate to your feelings. I am new to this board though, and I must tell you I have gotten several good ideas. I know its hard to rest your feet. But I am trying to take more breaks during the day, and do the massaging, and the stretching. Also, sit down, EVERY TIME I get a chance. In the morning, it is difficult. But massaging and stretching is seeming to help me. Also, I just got some of the Birkenstocks (recommended here). Great support. I don't even walk to the bathroom without them. They are expensive, and one of the other great helps I found here was the Birkenstock Web site, that sells them for almost 50% off. I also understand about your husband. I think my whole family is tired of hearing about my feet and legs. They were sympathetic at first, but after time wears on, their sympathy wears thin. It's just a very frustrating injury, because of the pain and the time it takes to heal. I also got custom orthotics from a podiatrist, which I think are helping.
Anyway, I just wanted you to know someone does understand. We're out here, working on it. We WILL overcome.
Lisa

nancy s. on 1/29/02 at 05:27 (071752)

hi marie, i had a bad doc who gave me no care advice plus rotten orthotics. this went on for 'only' 8 months, not 2 years, so i guess i was lucky. i know it set me back in my recovery, but once i found this site i got on the right track and eventually became 90% better -- and may still improve on that, who knows.

for me i would say that serious rest and birkenstocks were the two main things contributing to my pf recovery. the only thing i would do differently when it comes to rest is that i would be sure to do regular, gentle, NONweightbearing strengthening and stretching exercises during the rest. but the rest was crucial -- i think i'd still be crawling around, using a cane, an aircast, and sometimes a wheelchair if i hadn't done it. i too was self-employed and thought there was no way i could get the rest i needed. but eventually i made it happen -- no choice. if i'd made it happen sooner, i think my recovery would have been speeded up greatly.

as it was, after 8 months of horrible morning pain and limping around, and then the rest i needed but without exercises to avoid atrophy, i developed not only achilles tendonitis but also peroneal and posterior tib. -- in both feet, not just the pf foot. these took me another full year to get under control, partly with 6 months of physical therapy. i'm now at last going back to my work -- a thrill and a half, i mean it.

so i'm sure you're getting the picture: you're not alone, and there is hope. but since these conditions are not just hangnails and can make life really miserable, it's best to do whatever you need to do to take the utmost care of those feet, just as you would if, say, you were told they'd have to be amputated if you didn't take care of them. because the effect on one's life from 'mere' foot problems can be huge, and the resulting depression can be huge also, and then where are we? (i developed very bad depression also.)

i never had surgery. i would definitely look into eswt if i were you. and stick around, because this site saved me and i know many many others feel the same.
nancy

Normb on 1/29/02 at 09:09 (071765)

Yeah, some mornings both feet hurt so bad that limping doesn't even help,
Limping from one foot to the other...and I hobble to the carpet and wait for it to ease up....

D.Thomas on 1/28/02 at 09:32 (071617)

Marie P.,

I had that feeling for about three months. It was the worst pain I have ever experienced in my life. There were many days I didn't want to get out of bed and deal with the pain. It was very depressing. Hang in there!

Marie P on 1/28/02 at 09:50 (071620)

i am hanging in there but when this goes on for years it gets so tears come to my eyes when i think about it
the same pain also hits when i haven't moved feet for a while so now i try and constantly move them but with achilles tendonitis as well i feel like giving up and having both legs removed some days

Carole C on 1/28/02 at 11:50 (071632)

Marie, don't forget to do your gentle stretching before you get out of bed! It does help if you keep it up, and do it several times a day. Remember to never stand barefoot, and read Scott's heel pain book (on this site) and try different ideas that you may get from the book and from this board. You can get through this. My best wishes for your rapid recovery!

Carole C

Suzanne D on 1/28/02 at 14:38 (071637)

Marie, I am sorry you are in so much pain. Yes, many of us can identify with that awful morning pain. As Carole C. suggested, gentle stretching DOES make a big difference to me as well as slipping my feet immediately into my Birkenstock sandals. When all this started for me last summer, I used to hate to wake in the night, needing to make a trip to the restroom. I just dreaded getting out of bed and putting my feet on the floor. I still have pain, but not as much. I hope you get relief SOON!

Julie on 1/28/02 at 17:07 (071667)

Marie, don't forget that two precious years went by without your getting any helpful advice or treatment. You're on the right track now, so please be hopeful: you will get better.

And hang onto your legs. You'll need them.

Lisa P on 1/28/02 at 20:51 (071720)

Marie!
I can so relate to your feelings. I am new to this board though, and I must tell you I have gotten several good ideas. I know its hard to rest your feet. But I am trying to take more breaks during the day, and do the massaging, and the stretching. Also, sit down, EVERY TIME I get a chance. In the morning, it is difficult. But massaging and stretching is seeming to help me. Also, I just got some of the Birkenstocks (recommended here). Great support. I don't even walk to the bathroom without them. They are expensive, and one of the other great helps I found here was the Birkenstock Web site, that sells them for almost 50% off. I also understand about your husband. I think my whole family is tired of hearing about my feet and legs. They were sympathetic at first, but after time wears on, their sympathy wears thin. It's just a very frustrating injury, because of the pain and the time it takes to heal. I also got custom orthotics from a podiatrist, which I think are helping.
Anyway, I just wanted you to know someone does understand. We're out here, working on it. We WILL overcome.
Lisa

nancy s. on 1/29/02 at 05:27 (071752)

hi marie, i had a bad doc who gave me no care advice plus rotten orthotics. this went on for 'only' 8 months, not 2 years, so i guess i was lucky. i know it set me back in my recovery, but once i found this site i got on the right track and eventually became 90% better -- and may still improve on that, who knows.

for me i would say that serious rest and birkenstocks were the two main things contributing to my pf recovery. the only thing i would do differently when it comes to rest is that i would be sure to do regular, gentle, NONweightbearing strengthening and stretching exercises during the rest. but the rest was crucial -- i think i'd still be crawling around, using a cane, an aircast, and sometimes a wheelchair if i hadn't done it. i too was self-employed and thought there was no way i could get the rest i needed. but eventually i made it happen -- no choice. if i'd made it happen sooner, i think my recovery would have been speeded up greatly.

as it was, after 8 months of horrible morning pain and limping around, and then the rest i needed but without exercises to avoid atrophy, i developed not only achilles tendonitis but also peroneal and posterior tib. -- in both feet, not just the pf foot. these took me another full year to get under control, partly with 6 months of physical therapy. i'm now at last going back to my work -- a thrill and a half, i mean it.

so i'm sure you're getting the picture: you're not alone, and there is hope. but since these conditions are not just hangnails and can make life really miserable, it's best to do whatever you need to do to take the utmost care of those feet, just as you would if, say, you were told they'd have to be amputated if you didn't take care of them. because the effect on one's life from 'mere' foot problems can be huge, and the resulting depression can be huge also, and then where are we? (i developed very bad depression also.)

i never had surgery. i would definitely look into eswt if i were you. and stick around, because this site saved me and i know many many others feel the same.
nancy

Normb on 1/29/02 at 09:09 (071765)

Yeah, some mornings both feet hurt so bad that limping doesn't even help,
Limping from one foot to the other...and I hobble to the carpet and wait for it to ease up....