Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Posterior tibial tendinitis vs. tarsal tunnel syndrome

Posted by Jana on 1/28/02 at 22:09 (071728)

What is the difference between posterior tibial tendinitis and tarsal tunnel syndrome? I have a positive nerve conduction for tarsal tunnel syndrome but I do not have the other typical symptoms (burning, numbness, tingling etc.) I do of course also have plantar fasciitis but I wonder if the nerve conduction results could just be showing nerve irritation as a result of posterior tibial tendinitis.

A doctor's opinion (if any are reading) would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Posterior tibial tendinitis vs. tarsal tunnel syndrome

Dr. Marlene Reid on 1/28/02 at 23:55 (071748)

TTS can be caused by inflammation of the tissues surrounding the nerve branches. It can be caused by PF and caused by posterior tibial tendonitis. In fact, Dr. Kosova refers to this as the triad. If the TTS is not advanced, we have found that it resolves once the inflammatory condition is treated and improved. When a patient presents with these 3 entities, we usually place them in an unna boot (soft cast) to calm down the whole foot and then deal with the symptoms that are still there. It is amazing, but very often at least one of the three problems is greatly improved.

Re: Posterior tibial tendinitis vs. tarsal tunnel syndrome

Dr. Marlene Reid on 1/28/02 at 23:55 (071748)

TTS can be caused by inflammation of the tissues surrounding the nerve branches. It can be caused by PF and caused by posterior tibial tendonitis. In fact, Dr. Kosova refers to this as the triad. If the TTS is not advanced, we have found that it resolves once the inflammatory condition is treated and improved. When a patient presents with these 3 entities, we usually place them in an unna boot (soft cast) to calm down the whole foot and then deal with the symptoms that are still there. It is amazing, but very often at least one of the three problems is greatly improved.