Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Welcome forgetfulness

Posted by Julie on 1/29/02 at 08:53 (071763)

As some of you know, I've never wanted to pronounce myself 'cured', feeling that it's more realistic to accept that my feet have a weakness of which I'll always need to be aware. I've taken the 'no bare feet' rule very seriously (except for treating myself to two walks on the beach in India, one this year, one last year).

For a year and a half now, I've kept a pair of Birks in my main teaching room, slipping my feet into them whenever I do standing work with my students. And every Monday I've carted a pair to and from the Yoga Therapy Centre, my other teaching place (where there's nowhere to leave anything).

Yesterday the Birks lay on the floor while I gave both lessons barefoot, without giving them a thought.

I am quite tickled about this - especially since there have been no ill effects, not even a small twinge. I may not repeat the experience, but I'm happy that it happened.

Just another milestone in my recovery story. A big one for me.

Re: Good for you, Julie! (eom)

Suzanne D on 1/29/02 at 13:01 (071798)

Re: Welcome forgetfulness

john h on 1/29/02 at 13:49 (071812)

What ever you do Julie do not declare yourself 'cured'. Just continue enjoying your well being.

Carole C in NOLA on 1/29/02 at 17:16 (071834)

Wow! THat is wonderful. I can't wait until I get to that point. This is very encouraging.

You know this, but... Be careful not to push yourself too hard, and instead try to do less than you think you can, in order to heal. I think you will probably be able to teach barefoot all the time, at some point, but you are smart not to dive into this headlong. It may take a little time to build up to that.

At any rate, congratulations! And many happy future classes taught barefoot, and barefoot walks in the sand in India. :)

Carole C

Necee on 1/29/02 at 23:27 (071888)

Julie thats great!
Conquering one of lifes simple pleasures. How good it must have felt!
Thanks for sharing and all the best to you as you continue to enjoy a pain free life.
Happy Trails to you.....
Necee

Re: Good for you, Julie! (eom)

Suzanne D on 1/29/02 at 13:01 (071798)

john h on 1/29/02 at 13:49 (071812)

What ever you do Julie do not declare yourself 'cured'. Just continue enjoying your well being.

Carole C in NOLA on 1/29/02 at 17:16 (071834)

Wow! THat is wonderful. I can't wait until I get to that point. This is very encouraging.

You know this, but... Be careful not to push yourself too hard, and instead try to do less than you think you can, in order to heal. I think you will probably be able to teach barefoot all the time, at some point, but you are smart not to dive into this headlong. It may take a little time to build up to that.

At any rate, congratulations! And many happy future classes taught barefoot, and barefoot walks in the sand in India. :)

Carole C

Necee on 1/29/02 at 23:27 (071888)

Julie thats great!
Conquering one of lifes simple pleasures. How good it must have felt!
Thanks for sharing and all the best to you as you continue to enjoy a pain free life.
Happy Trails to you.....
Necee