Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Another test?

Posted by Monte on 1/29/02 at 16:00 (071827)

My sports doctor now wants me to take on final test. An MRI to check for spinal stenosis. He, as well as I, doubt it will be positive, but it is the last test in the ruling out process of any conditions tht may be causing the pains in my feet. My lower back never gives me any problems to speak of and nothing hurts down my butt or legs. Plus, I am visiting Dr Braver (an associate of Dr Z) to get a brand new, completely unbiased evaluation of my condition. I will also find out if am a candidate for ESWT. My doctor wouldn't even read the literature tha I brought to himabout the procedure. That bothered me because he was never like that. Well..I hope it is alljust plain PF (a painful as it is) and maybe it will go away with time. Gotta hope...right?

Re: Another test?

Julie on 1/30/02 at 03:16 (071893)

I hope it is just plain PF and that it will resolve with time, but it also needs the right treatment, so I'm glad you're seeing another doctor for a fresh look and, hopefully, a firm diagnosis. It certainly doesn't sound like spinal stenosis.

Doctors are just people. Some are open-minded when confronted with a new idea, some aren't. I can see how a doctor who has invested time, training, and equipment in a procedure (foot surgery, for example) might baulk at ESWT, which promises (though he might, due to his vested interest, say 'threatens') to replace foot surgery.

My podiatrist, although knowledgeable and skilled and a great help to me, had the same 'I don't want to know' attitude to ESWT. He had recently completed his surgical training and was keen on surgery as the infallable solution to PF. Fortunately I did not need either surgery or ESWT.

Carmen H on 1/30/02 at 21:29 (072013)

Okay Monte it's me...:-) the most opinionated chick you have ever spoken with on the phone. ;-)
Actually I just wanted to say....to ME and only in my opoinion...any doctor that closes his mind to a possibility that might help or even provide relief to a patient of his needs to be told about these things....these 'possibilities' if you may. I even told the guy that does my NST about my friend Laurie R. my dear friend Laurie who suffers with RSD...he said 'what is that????!!!' I told him a little about it and said 'You would be an EVEN better therapist than you are if you educate yourself on the things no one knows about. Some day someone may come to you with a need that has RSD...and you would be able to say 'I know a little about that...maybe I can help.'
So your doctor should WANT to know about something that is VALID and is really helping people....
ask him if he is familar with the success stories....see what he says or what his faces 'says..'
Speaking after a margarita in North Carolina...
Talk to you soon back on email in Georgia. :-)

paula on 1/30/02 at 22:13 (072023)

anyone want to tell me who your georgia doctors are at this point? do you have decent physical therapists or othotists? my p t is from emory and i think is very good. my orthotist is not working for me. i need another one. would love to compare names of various professionals from folks from ga. maybe who is good, bad mediocre. we could avoid ones that others of us have been to.

Carmen H on 1/31/02 at 10:28 (072073)

I had a great physical therapist at Physiotherapist Associates but she's out in Marietta.
I don't know of any great Orthotist though...but will keep you in mind here in Georgia!
;-)

paula on 1/31/02 at 13:09 (072084)

thanks carmen

Julie on 1/30/02 at 03:16 (071893)

I hope it is just plain PF and that it will resolve with time, but it also needs the right treatment, so I'm glad you're seeing another doctor for a fresh look and, hopefully, a firm diagnosis. It certainly doesn't sound like spinal stenosis.

Doctors are just people. Some are open-minded when confronted with a new idea, some aren't. I can see how a doctor who has invested time, training, and equipment in a procedure (foot surgery, for example) might baulk at ESWT, which promises (though he might, due to his vested interest, say 'threatens') to replace foot surgery.

My podiatrist, although knowledgeable and skilled and a great help to me, had the same 'I don't want to know' attitude to ESWT. He had recently completed his surgical training and was keen on surgery as the infallable solution to PF. Fortunately I did not need either surgery or ESWT.

Carmen H on 1/30/02 at 21:29 (072013)

Okay Monte it's me...:-) the most opinionated chick you have ever spoken with on the phone. ;-)
Actually I just wanted to say....to ME and only in my opoinion...any doctor that closes his mind to a possibility that might help or even provide relief to a patient of his needs to be told about these things....these 'possibilities' if you may. I even told the guy that does my NST about my friend Laurie R. my dear friend Laurie who suffers with RSD...he said 'what is that????!!!' I told him a little about it and said 'You would be an EVEN better therapist than you are if you educate yourself on the things no one knows about. Some day someone may come to you with a need that has RSD...and you would be able to say 'I know a little about that...maybe I can help.'
So your doctor should WANT to know about something that is VALID and is really helping people....
ask him if he is familar with the success stories....see what he says or what his faces 'says..'
Speaking after a margarita in North Carolina...
Talk to you soon back on email in Georgia. :-)

paula on 1/30/02 at 22:13 (072023)

anyone want to tell me who your georgia doctors are at this point? do you have decent physical therapists or othotists? my p t is from emory and i think is very good. my orthotist is not working for me. i need another one. would love to compare names of various professionals from folks from ga. maybe who is good, bad mediocre. we could avoid ones that others of us have been to.

Carmen H on 1/31/02 at 10:28 (072073)

I had a great physical therapist at Physiotherapist Associates but she's out in Marietta.
I don't know of any great Orthotist though...but will keep you in mind here in Georgia!
;-)

paula on 1/31/02 at 13:09 (072084)

thanks carmen