Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Ice scrapers.......

Posted by JudyS on 1/30/02 at 10:13 (071920)

Remember that one of our '101 Uses' for rigid, 3/4 length orthotics was as ice scrapers for our windshields?
You wouldn't think that'd be a use here in San Diego, right? But....it was in the high twenties here last nite and will be for several more days. Lots of hail in the north part of the city and lots of snow in the local mountains.
When I went out for an early morning walk I found our windshields covered in a thin layer of ice and immediately wondered where my old orthotics were!

Re: Ice scrapers.......

Suzanne D on 1/30/02 at 10:46 (071925)

Wow! That does seem unusual, Judy! I guess I have a stereotype of California as always being sunny and warm. Here in my part of KY it is about 60 degrees and drizzling - sort of an 'Eeyore kind of day'. (Perhaps what I typed is a good sign: I think I'm feeling enough better from this flu and sinus infection that I'm starting to think about children and miss my kids at school!)

Funny you should mention the uses for orthotics. I was just putting away some shoes and moved a handful of those over-the-counter inserts, wondering what I could do with them. They're not hard enough for ice scrapers; they almost could be mouse pads for the computer if I put two of them together! :-)

Have a good day!

rich on 1/30/02 at 11:13 (071932)

Funny thing about ice scrapers...the tool my PT used for deep massage really resembled one.

Carole C in NOLA on 1/30/02 at 19:05 (071986)

Goodness!!!!! I lived in San Diego from 1977-1984, and so I know how unusual this cold weather is. I guess it snowed in the mountains (in Julian) a time or two while I was there, but stayed warm in the city. This is the strangest winter! It's 80F here in New Orleans, though the weather is projected to change shortly.

Carole C

JudyS on 1/30/02 at 19:41 (071990)

Well Carol, speaking of Julian......we're going up there to hang out in the Julian Hotel (old, old, old) for a few days next week.....I'm praying that the cold will hold because there's a ton of snow up there right now!

Carole C in NOLA on 1/30/02 at 19:44 (071992)

Yes, I remember the Julian Hotel! I haven't seen it for twenty years, though. It's so beautiful up there... have fun and take your camera!

Carole C

John h on 1/30/02 at 20:48 (072007)

where is up there and the Julian Hotel?

Re: 101 USES FOR ORTHODICS......

Necee on 1/30/02 at 23:41 (072031)

Well how about adding this one to the list, Orthodics make great doggie toys! I had a pair of hard plastic orthodics that my Pod had given me, they didn't help my feet at all, but my dogs love em! What great fetch toys, my stupid dogs don't understand that when I throw the orthodics I'm trying to get rid of them, and they keep bringing them right back to me!!!!
Happy Trails......
Necee

JudyS on 1/31/02 at 09:39 (072062)

In the mountains east of San Diego - hugely known for it's apple crop (pies, jam, knick knacks.....etc etc. I believe it was the first settlement catering to miners in the area long, long ago.
http://www.julianhotel.com/

Richard, C.Ped on 1/31/02 at 14:14 (072098)

Paint scraper, paper weight, wedge for splitting firewood, door stop, spatula, dirty dish scraper, ice pick, balance out an uneven chari/table leg, self defense device (you could poke someones eye out with that thing!!!), kids sand shovel for the beach, mobile for the kids room, wind chimes, prybar,......I'm just getting started!!! LOL!!!
Richard

nancy s. on 1/31/02 at 15:34 (072103)

richard! where were you way back when, when dr. ed. chided me for badmouthing the scrapers?
i wish i could find my scrapers. we have a lot of snow and ice here today. also, i've lost my hammer and need to pound a nail.
nancy

Necee on 2/01/02 at 07:51 (072171)

I love your uses Richard!! Some of those will come in handy, but don't guess I'll ever get to use mine as an ice scraper.
Happy Trails......
Necee

john h on 2/01/02 at 09:10 (072173)

also would make a good snow board for a squirill. I have seen them on water skis on tv.

Richard, C.Ped on 2/01/02 at 12:45 (072185)

Hey Nancy,
sorry about that. I missed that one. I am honestly not a fan at all of the hard plastic. Guess you guys knew that from the start. Only in certain situations. Some people love and swear by them. Some love and swear by cork. I love EVA. Everyone is different I guess. Some like Nike (ewwwww). Some like New Balance, Brooks and Birks (woo hoo).
Richard

Re: 101 USES FOR ORTHOtICS......

nancy s. on 2/01/02 at 16:38 (072216)

a snowboard for a squirrel...you crack me up. they could also be used as ski jumps for mice. or a diving board for a chipmunk -- but i hope the poor guy wouldn't be expecting much spring; may have to heat it up with a blowtorch first.

they could also be used as fake brick slices if you're walling around your woodstove. be sure to paint.
nancy

nancy s. on 2/01/02 at 16:42 (072218)

well that's ok, richard. i forgive you this time. next time i'll call you with a giant HELP ME RICHARD in the subject heading, with many stars on either side of it. be on the lookout, ok?
nancy

nancy s. on 2/01/02 at 16:46 (072220)

was that on pax tv, john? does anyone watch 'miracle pets'? people who think animals are dumb MUST take a look. people who love animals must take a look also.
nancy

JudyS on 2/01/02 at 19:11 (072249)

Punxsutawney Phil could use them to board up his entrance so those pesky strangers will leave him the heck alone tomorrow! :)

John h on 2/01/02 at 19:38 (072258)

Nancy: There was a tiny little battery drive motor boat pulling the squrill on a tiny little board. He was standing on his hind feet with his front paws on the bar saying 'Hey Dude lets hang 20'!

Julie on 2/02/02 at 03:13 (072283)

Tongue depressors for elephants.

nancy s. on 2/02/02 at 09:05 (072287)

ok julie, you and john share first prize so far. thanks for the howl!

Julie on 2/02/02 at 11:44 (072296)

Thank you, my dear!

Richard, C.Ped on 2/04/02 at 08:14 (072514)

pooper-scoopers. LOL!!!
Richard

Re: 101 USES FOR HARD ORTHOtICS......

Pauline on 2/07/02 at 09:23 (072899)

How about:
1. Great ice scrapers for cars.
2. Tongue depressors for large Zoo animals.
3. Spoons for 'Survior' participants.
4. Arm supports to allow for complete air drying of arm pits.

wendyn on 2/07/02 at 09:27 (072900)

Eeewww Pauline.

I am not feeling very creative today - I am sick. But I will lay in bed and ponder uses for my old ice scrapers.

Can we mail the old ones to the Survivor people? That would be good for a laugh!

john h on 2/07/02 at 11:20 (072909)

How about putting it on a gold chain and wearing it around your neck. Would that be cool or what? The kids at one time would rip off the hood ornament on cadillacs and wear thim on their chains but that would be no match for a hard orthotic. Man! with a black turtle neck sweater and that hard orthotic on a gold chain you would have to attract the babes or hunks what ever your preference, Bring it on.

john h on 2/07/02 at 11:21 (072910)

You sure would not want a terriorist to get on a plane with a hard orthotic. I bet there is no way security has to pickup one of these in the shoes (really)!

Re: To Wendyn

Pauline on 2/10/02 at 16:18 (073278)

Sorry, hear your sick. A lot of stuff going around it seems. I've had friends telling me they have been sick since the first of the year. Sinus stuff the just seems to continue forever. One's been down for 6 weeks.
I hope your up and feeling much better by now.

We just returned from a Murder Mystery get-a-way and were surprised by it's theme. It was a take off on the Survivor program. A professional company performed. Sargent Corrumbo handles the investigation. The skit was filled with laughs. Good friends, great wine and a tender prime rib dinner made for a great evening. I highly recommend Murder Mystery Events for fun get-a-ways. Some are only one night, others run the entire weekend, and all are usually very entertaining.

Make sure you get well soon.

Re: To Pauline

wendyn on 2/10/02 at 22:55 (073321)

Thanks Pauline, actually it turned about to be fairly mild - sort of a day/day and a half thing. I know a lot of people who have been very sick this winter too.

For a wind-up for our Project, we had a dinner/murder mystery. The actors portrayed 6 people from the office, and I was lucky (unlucky?) enough to be one of those picked on.

They even had the poo list in the act.

Speaking of the POO list, one of my coworkers changed the heading on the list to read 'Office Hottie List'.

Suzanne D on 1/30/02 at 10:46 (071925)

Wow! That does seem unusual, Judy! I guess I have a stereotype of California as always being sunny and warm. Here in my part of KY it is about 60 degrees and drizzling - sort of an 'Eeyore kind of day'. (Perhaps what I typed is a good sign: I think I'm feeling enough better from this flu and sinus infection that I'm starting to think about children and miss my kids at school!)

Funny you should mention the uses for orthotics. I was just putting away some shoes and moved a handful of those over-the-counter inserts, wondering what I could do with them. They're not hard enough for ice scrapers; they almost could be mouse pads for the computer if I put two of them together! :-)

Have a good day!

rich on 1/30/02 at 11:13 (071932)

Funny thing about ice scrapers...the tool my PT used for deep massage really resembled one.

Carole C in NOLA on 1/30/02 at 19:05 (071986)

Goodness!!!!! I lived in San Diego from 1977-1984, and so I know how unusual this cold weather is. I guess it snowed in the mountains (in Julian) a time or two while I was there, but stayed warm in the city. This is the strangest winter! It's 80F here in New Orleans, though the weather is projected to change shortly.

Carole C

JudyS on 1/30/02 at 19:41 (071990)

Well Carol, speaking of Julian......we're going up there to hang out in the Julian Hotel (old, old, old) for a few days next week.....I'm praying that the cold will hold because there's a ton of snow up there right now!

Carole C in NOLA on 1/30/02 at 19:44 (071992)

Yes, I remember the Julian Hotel! I haven't seen it for twenty years, though. It's so beautiful up there... have fun and take your camera!

Carole C

John h on 1/30/02 at 20:48 (072007)

where is up there and the Julian Hotel?

Necee on 1/30/02 at 23:41 (072031)

Well how about adding this one to the list, Orthodics make great doggie toys! I had a pair of hard plastic orthodics that my Pod had given me, they didn't help my feet at all, but my dogs love em! What great fetch toys, my stupid dogs don't understand that when I throw the orthodics I'm trying to get rid of them, and they keep bringing them right back to me!!!!
Happy Trails......
Necee

JudyS on 1/31/02 at 09:39 (072062)

In the mountains east of San Diego - hugely known for it's apple crop (pies, jam, knick knacks.....etc etc. I believe it was the first settlement catering to miners in the area long, long ago.
http://www.julianhotel.com/

Richard, C.Ped on 1/31/02 at 14:14 (072098)

Paint scraper, paper weight, wedge for splitting firewood, door stop, spatula, dirty dish scraper, ice pick, balance out an uneven chari/table leg, self defense device (you could poke someones eye out with that thing!!!), kids sand shovel for the beach, mobile for the kids room, wind chimes, prybar,......I'm just getting started!!! LOL!!!
Richard

nancy s. on 1/31/02 at 15:34 (072103)

richard! where were you way back when, when dr. ed. chided me for badmouthing the scrapers?
i wish i could find my scrapers. we have a lot of snow and ice here today. also, i've lost my hammer and need to pound a nail.
nancy

Necee on 2/01/02 at 07:51 (072171)

I love your uses Richard!! Some of those will come in handy, but don't guess I'll ever get to use mine as an ice scraper.
Happy Trails......
Necee

john h on 2/01/02 at 09:10 (072173)

also would make a good snow board for a squirill. I have seen them on water skis on tv.

Richard, C.Ped on 2/01/02 at 12:45 (072185)

Hey Nancy,
sorry about that. I missed that one. I am honestly not a fan at all of the hard plastic. Guess you guys knew that from the start. Only in certain situations. Some people love and swear by them. Some love and swear by cork. I love EVA. Everyone is different I guess. Some like Nike (ewwwww). Some like New Balance, Brooks and Birks (woo hoo).
Richard

nancy s. on 2/01/02 at 16:38 (072216)

a snowboard for a squirrel...you crack me up. they could also be used as ski jumps for mice. or a diving board for a chipmunk -- but i hope the poor guy wouldn't be expecting much spring; may have to heat it up with a blowtorch first.

they could also be used as fake brick slices if you're walling around your woodstove. be sure to paint.
nancy

nancy s. on 2/01/02 at 16:42 (072218)

well that's ok, richard. i forgive you this time. next time i'll call you with a giant HELP ME RICHARD in the subject heading, with many stars on either side of it. be on the lookout, ok?
nancy

nancy s. on 2/01/02 at 16:46 (072220)

was that on pax tv, john? does anyone watch 'miracle pets'? people who think animals are dumb MUST take a look. people who love animals must take a look also.
nancy

JudyS on 2/01/02 at 19:11 (072249)

Punxsutawney Phil could use them to board up his entrance so those pesky strangers will leave him the heck alone tomorrow! :)

John h on 2/01/02 at 19:38 (072258)

Nancy: There was a tiny little battery drive motor boat pulling the squrill on a tiny little board. He was standing on his hind feet with his front paws on the bar saying 'Hey Dude lets hang 20'!

Julie on 2/02/02 at 03:13 (072283)

Tongue depressors for elephants.

nancy s. on 2/02/02 at 09:05 (072287)

ok julie, you and john share first prize so far. thanks for the howl!

Julie on 2/02/02 at 11:44 (072296)

Thank you, my dear!

Richard, C.Ped on 2/04/02 at 08:14 (072514)

pooper-scoopers. LOL!!!
Richard

Pauline on 2/07/02 at 09:23 (072899)

How about:
1. Great ice scrapers for cars.
2. Tongue depressors for large Zoo animals.
3. Spoons for 'Survior' participants.
4. Arm supports to allow for complete air drying of arm pits.

wendyn on 2/07/02 at 09:27 (072900)

Eeewww Pauline.

I am not feeling very creative today - I am sick. But I will lay in bed and ponder uses for my old ice scrapers.

Can we mail the old ones to the Survivor people? That would be good for a laugh!

john h on 2/07/02 at 11:20 (072909)

How about putting it on a gold chain and wearing it around your neck. Would that be cool or what? The kids at one time would rip off the hood ornament on cadillacs and wear thim on their chains but that would be no match for a hard orthotic. Man! with a black turtle neck sweater and that hard orthotic on a gold chain you would have to attract the babes or hunks what ever your preference, Bring it on.

john h on 2/07/02 at 11:21 (072910)

You sure would not want a terriorist to get on a plane with a hard orthotic. I bet there is no way security has to pickup one of these in the shoes (really)!

Re: To Wendyn

Pauline on 2/10/02 at 16:18 (073278)

Sorry, hear your sick. A lot of stuff going around it seems. I've had friends telling me they have been sick since the first of the year. Sinus stuff the just seems to continue forever. One's been down for 6 weeks.
I hope your up and feeling much better by now.

We just returned from a Murder Mystery get-a-way and were surprised by it's theme. It was a take off on the Survivor program. A professional company performed. Sargent Corrumbo handles the investigation. The skit was filled with laughs. Good friends, great wine and a tender prime rib dinner made for a great evening. I highly recommend Murder Mystery Events for fun get-a-ways. Some are only one night, others run the entire weekend, and all are usually very entertaining.

Make sure you get well soon.

Re: To Pauline

wendyn on 2/10/02 at 22:55 (073321)

Thanks Pauline, actually it turned about to be fairly mild - sort of a day/day and a half thing. I know a lot of people who have been very sick this winter too.

For a wind-up for our Project, we had a dinner/murder mystery. The actors portrayed 6 people from the office, and I was lucky (unlucky?) enough to be one of those picked on.

They even had the poo list in the act.

Speaking of the POO list, one of my coworkers changed the heading on the list to read 'Office Hottie List'.