Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Recovering from Tarsal Tunnel Surgery

Posted by Beth D. on 1/30/02 at 20:16 (071998)

Greetings one and all. I finally went ahead and had the tarsal tunnel release almost 3 weeks ago. My history: April 1999-numb, tingly feet only after exercising, increased to all the time. Time to see the doctor! 1st pod. diagnosed pf and tts. he put me in custom orthotics, anti-inflammatories and suggested cortizone shots which I refused. 2nd pod. recommended neurologist confirm tts-she did not. Orthotics were making no difference at 6 months-went to birkenstocks and rest. March 2000-tried a cortizone shot-no help. July 2000 went to orthopaedic surgeon-got a walking cast for 6 weeks-then another custom made orthotic-no help. 1st round of pt to see if that helped. March 2001 set up appointments with Dr. Z. in Jersey-had 2 blasts. 2nd round of pt-no help. No lasting relief. December 2001-opt to go for tts surgery-had it 3 weeks ago.

My question is on recovery-my foot feels hot in the heel and achillies. Doctor said my nerve was not curved naturally, but at a 90 degree angle and had veins laying on top of it that were removed. I am fairly ambulatory-use the crutches for steps. Is this feeling expected in my foot?

Thanks for any responses.

Beth

Re: Recovering from Tarsal Tunnel Surgery

cindyp on 1/30/02 at 20:27 (072001)

I don't know about expected every case is a little different all of us have run the gamut of things. keep the foot elevated you may go through periods of some intermittent swelling.

DR Zuckerman on 1/30/02 at 20:51 (072008)

Hi

Feelings of burning and heat are very common with any type of foot surgery especially surgery near or the nerve. Does rest, and elevation help it out
Ice can be very helpful. Wish you a speedy recovery . Always happy to give you any advice if needed.

Beth D. on 1/31/02 at 10:03 (072068)

Thank you, I feel much better knowing it's a common occurrence.

Shane on 1/31/02 at 15:03 (072101)

What about heel numbness after TTS release? Is this common? I am about 2 1/2 months post-op and I have numbness in my heel which wasn't there before and still have alot of heel pain. I have heel spurs, but were not removed in my surgery. Do you think they can be causing this pain?

cindyp on 1/31/02 at 21:01 (072146)

well like i said before each case is different and has it's own eccentricities. i have some numbness or dead spots i call them but i also have some residual nerve damage after many years of this stuff. i am however out of pain 9 days out of 10. i have had some electrical pain but i can count that on one hand now when before itwas all the time. so good enough.

Re: Beth

wendyn on 1/31/02 at 22:54 (072159)

Beth - I remember you from a long time ago, I think it's great that you've kept us up to date on your treatment.

Please do continue to keep us informed on your progress and recovery from the surgery.

denise j on 2/10/02 at 20:51 (073312)

hi, i am in week #7 recovering from tts and pf release. i am doing ok, i am having some scar tissue problems where he released the pf. i am going to pt 3 times a week. everyone ask me how the pain is, well i dont have the same pain i had before but i guess you can call it a healing pain. my feet seem to tell me when i have overworked them. i am still off work and plan to be for about 6 more weeks. i do good to do what little i do around the house and i am still using a crutch. but like i said the pain is nothing compared to the tts and pf pain i had before. if this is as good as it gets i think i can live with it. let me know how you are doing. denise

cindyp on 1/30/02 at 20:27 (072001)

I don't know about expected every case is a little different all of us have run the gamut of things. keep the foot elevated you may go through periods of some intermittent swelling.

DR Zuckerman on 1/30/02 at 20:51 (072008)

Hi

Feelings of burning and heat are very common with any type of foot surgery especially surgery near or the nerve. Does rest, and elevation help it out
Ice can be very helpful. Wish you a speedy recovery . Always happy to give you any advice if needed.

Beth D. on 1/31/02 at 10:03 (072068)

Thank you, I feel much better knowing it's a common occurrence.

Shane on 1/31/02 at 15:03 (072101)

What about heel numbness after TTS release? Is this common? I am about 2 1/2 months post-op and I have numbness in my heel which wasn't there before and still have alot of heel pain. I have heel spurs, but were not removed in my surgery. Do you think they can be causing this pain?

cindyp on 1/31/02 at 21:01 (072146)

well like i said before each case is different and has it's own eccentricities. i have some numbness or dead spots i call them but i also have some residual nerve damage after many years of this stuff. i am however out of pain 9 days out of 10. i have had some electrical pain but i can count that on one hand now when before itwas all the time. so good enough.

Re: Beth

wendyn on 1/31/02 at 22:54 (072159)

Beth - I remember you from a long time ago, I think it's great that you've kept us up to date on your treatment.

Please do continue to keep us informed on your progress and recovery from the surgery.

denise j on 2/10/02 at 20:51 (073312)

hi, i am in week #7 recovering from tts and pf release. i am doing ok, i am having some scar tissue problems where he released the pf. i am going to pt 3 times a week. everyone ask me how the pain is, well i dont have the same pain i had before but i guess you can call it a healing pain. my feet seem to tell me when i have overworked them. i am still off work and plan to be for about 6 more weeks. i do good to do what little i do around the house and i am still using a crutch. but like i said the pain is nothing compared to the tts and pf pain i had before. if this is as good as it gets i think i can live with it. let me know how you are doing. denise