Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

EPF vs Minimal PF release

Posted by Mike S. on 1/31/02 at 07:04 (072049)

Hi,

This is a measage is for Judy and Dr. Ed Davis (or anyone else that can help).

Can you explain to me the difference between EPF and Minimal PF?

Dr. Ed Davis, I would appreciate it if you could send me any information of good Dr. whom per the Minimal PF release. NJ is about 8 hours North from where I am located (NC).

Feel free to contact me off line at (email removed).

Thank you again,

Re: EPF vs Minimal PF release

JudyS on 1/31/02 at 10:04 (072069)

Hi Mike -
There's no question the docs will answer your question far better than I could ever hope to! You might want to look at the section of this PF website that is entitled 'surgery' for some information also. The only problem I see with that section is that there is quite a bit of information on EPF surgery and not enough on Minimally Invasive. We've been hearing often these days that many docs are moving away from EPF because they just can't 'see' the surgical site well enough with it.
Last, and I hope the medical folks will correct me if necessary, I don't think anyone does a complete release anymore - I think it's by and large partial.

Pam on 1/31/02 at 14:08 (072097)

I am no doctor either, but I have been told by my doc partial releases are the norm....seems that full release tend to cause more problems in the future with the side foot pain.....I also agree that there is less info on this site about the open procedure....I am sceduled next week for partial spur excision with partial release.....I chose the open vs EPF after spending many hours researching both on the web and in a library.....I spoke in detail to my surgeon about his experiences with the two types and he told me he believes he has seen more success stories with this procedure in his practice.....good luck to you and keep us posted

Ed Davis, DPM on 2/01/02 at 19:41 (072259)

EPF is endoscopic plantar fascial release--it involves using instrumentation designed to visualize the plantar fascia and to visualize the cutting of the fascia. The minimal incision approach involves cutting the fascia through a small incision--years ago a medial approach was used, although a plantar (bottom) approach is more common.

Unfortunatley, while I know of doctors in NC, I do not know specifically what approach to this surgery they prefer.

The concern about releasing the fascia completely is the possibility of 'lateral column pain' which is pain in the calcaneocuboid joint (joint between the heel bone and the next bone that attaches to it on the outside (lateral) of the arch. Lateral column pain is largely avoided via use of a cast or splint after surgery and orthotics. Failure to cut the lateral band of the plantar fascia can sometimes cause additional problems since all of the tension on the plantar fascia is now transmitted through the lateral (non-cut) aspect. This is a subject of debate though.
Ed

JudyS on 1/31/02 at 10:04 (072069)

Hi Mike -
There's no question the docs will answer your question far better than I could ever hope to! You might want to look at the section of this PF website that is entitled 'surgery' for some information also. The only problem I see with that section is that there is quite a bit of information on EPF surgery and not enough on Minimally Invasive. We've been hearing often these days that many docs are moving away from EPF because they just can't 'see' the surgical site well enough with it.
Last, and I hope the medical folks will correct me if necessary, I don't think anyone does a complete release anymore - I think it's by and large partial.

Pam on 1/31/02 at 14:08 (072097)

I am no doctor either, but I have been told by my doc partial releases are the norm....seems that full release tend to cause more problems in the future with the side foot pain.....I also agree that there is less info on this site about the open procedure....I am sceduled next week for partial spur excision with partial release.....I chose the open vs EPF after spending many hours researching both on the web and in a library.....I spoke in detail to my surgeon about his experiences with the two types and he told me he believes he has seen more success stories with this procedure in his practice.....good luck to you and keep us posted

Ed Davis, DPM on 2/01/02 at 19:41 (072259)

EPF is endoscopic plantar fascial release--it involves using instrumentation designed to visualize the plantar fascia and to visualize the cutting of the fascia. The minimal incision approach involves cutting the fascia through a small incision--years ago a medial approach was used, although a plantar (bottom) approach is more common.

Unfortunatley, while I know of doctors in NC, I do not know specifically what approach to this surgery they prefer.

The concern about releasing the fascia completely is the possibility of 'lateral column pain' which is pain in the calcaneocuboid joint (joint between the heel bone and the next bone that attaches to it on the outside (lateral) of the arch. Lateral column pain is largely avoided via use of a cast or splint after surgery and orthotics. Failure to cut the lateral band of the plantar fascia can sometimes cause additional problems since all of the tension on the plantar fascia is now transmitted through the lateral (non-cut) aspect. This is a subject of debate though.
Ed