Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

one foot longer than the other

Posted by Pat M. on 1/31/02 at 23:39 (072166)

Do most people have one foot that is longer than the other; and if so,is the longer foot determined by the dominant hand?

My 8th grade daughter is researching this question for a science project. Please respond.

Re: one foot longer than the other

Ed Davis, DPM on 2/01/02 at 18:54 (072247)

Most people have one foot longer than the other although the difference is not very significant. There are people with differences significant enough to necessitate that they buy two pairs of shoes in order to obtain a proper fit.

A woman in Phoenix (cannot remember her name) ran a service known as the 'National Odd Shoe Exchange' for years. She would pair people up to swap shoes in order to obtain good fit. Eg. someone in LA has size 10 foot on the left and 9 on the right, someone in NJ has size 9 on the left and 10 on the right---they are matched so that they get the same shoe style and color, one buys the 10, the other the 9 and they swap.

I am not aware of any relationship to the dominant hand.
Ed

Re: one foot longer than the other

Ed Davis, DPM on 2/01/02 at 18:54 (072247)

Most people have one foot longer than the other although the difference is not very significant. There are people with differences significant enough to necessitate that they buy two pairs of shoes in order to obtain a proper fit.

A woman in Phoenix (cannot remember her name) ran a service known as the 'National Odd Shoe Exchange' for years. She would pair people up to swap shoes in order to obtain good fit. Eg. someone in LA has size 10 foot on the left and 9 on the right, someone in NJ has size 9 on the left and 10 on the right---they are matched so that they get the same shoe style and color, one buys the 10, the other the 9 and they swap.

I am not aware of any relationship to the dominant hand.
Ed