Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Shoes/Dr. Z/Richard/Anybody

Posted by john h on 2/01/02 at 09:16 (072175)

Most running shoes have flexable soles. Many walking shoes have stiff soles. I was reading that if your soles are not flexable you can create problems with the muscles in your ankle,feet, leg. Orthotics are basically stiff and mimic a stiff sole do they not? If you have PF do you need flexable or stiff soles?

Re: Shoes/Dr. Z/Richard/Anybody

Monte on 2/01/02 at 11:05 (072177)

I am not sure either. It can become so confusing. I went to visit Dr Brave (Dr Z recommended him) for ESWT evaluation. He has sample shoes in his offie. I am going to try the Florsheim Comfort Techs for work. Too soft is nog good and I found that out with Rockport DMX shoes. Too stiff is also no good. I wish someone would put together a list of different shoes to use. Some for work, some for sports and for around the house.
I hope to go for the ESWT soon. New Balance has a section on theie website about shoes to use after the treatment. That might help you. Let me know if you need the link.

Richard, C.Ped on 2/01/02 at 12:50 (072187)

Hey John,
I am always going back to the old 'shoe test'. I was taught, and still believe that for conditions such as PF, the shoe should only bend at the ball of the foot. Shoe companies are out to make money, so they make these fancy looking shoes with the bottom arches carved out. Don't be fooled by all that junk. If the shoe passes the test, go for it. That is my humble opinion.
Richard

BG CPed on 2/02/02 at 18:13 (072329)

Richard is right. The shoe should be torsionally rigid and resist twisting. The shoe should bend at the point the foot does across the ball. The shoe can be stiff and bend little but have a bottom like a rocking chair that mimics a bending foot without actually making the foot bend.

Also depends on the foot type and orthotic. Shoes like reebok dmx or easy spirit are bad because they bend, twist and have unstable soles. New Balance 810 is a good all around shoe, it comes in pure black, white and beige. It has a flat firm stable sole without any air chambers or other nonsense. No shoe is perfect for all but that is a good shoe for many. If you have a very high arch cavus foot a New Balance 878 or 879 is a good one. The other good point with NB is they come in several widths

john h on 2/03/02 at 11:11 (072417)

Richard you echo what I walways thought!

Monte on 2/01/02 at 11:05 (072177)

I am not sure either. It can become so confusing. I went to visit Dr Brave (Dr Z recommended him) for ESWT evaluation. He has sample shoes in his offie. I am going to try the Florsheim Comfort Techs for work. Too soft is nog good and I found that out with Rockport DMX shoes. Too stiff is also no good. I wish someone would put together a list of different shoes to use. Some for work, some for sports and for around the house.
I hope to go for the ESWT soon. New Balance has a section on theie website about shoes to use after the treatment. That might help you. Let me know if you need the link.

Richard, C.Ped on 2/01/02 at 12:50 (072187)

Hey John,
I am always going back to the old 'shoe test'. I was taught, and still believe that for conditions such as PF, the shoe should only bend at the ball of the foot. Shoe companies are out to make money, so they make these fancy looking shoes with the bottom arches carved out. Don't be fooled by all that junk. If the shoe passes the test, go for it. That is my humble opinion.
Richard

BG CPed on 2/02/02 at 18:13 (072329)

Richard is right. The shoe should be torsionally rigid and resist twisting. The shoe should bend at the point the foot does across the ball. The shoe can be stiff and bend little but have a bottom like a rocking chair that mimics a bending foot without actually making the foot bend.

Also depends on the foot type and orthotic. Shoes like reebok dmx or easy spirit are bad because they bend, twist and have unstable soles. New Balance 810 is a good all around shoe, it comes in pure black, white and beige. It has a flat firm stable sole without any air chambers or other nonsense. No shoe is perfect for all but that is a good shoe for many. If you have a very high arch cavus foot a New Balance 878 or 879 is a good one. The other good point with NB is they come in several widths

john h on 2/03/02 at 11:11 (072417)

Richard you echo what I walways thought!