Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

update on me - had my 6 wk post op visit

Posted by Sarah T. on 2/01/02 at 15:23 (072199)

If you read this board often you probably know I had pf spur surgery 12-21. Was in a cast 1 wk, brace with no weight for 3 wk, and then partial weight working up to walking in the brace now. Today I had my 6 wk check up and the dr was amazed at how far I had come. I had been discouraged with ankle pain and some back of the heel pain but he said it was all normal and that it would gradually go away. He pressed on that 'magic spot' that sends you off the table when you have a spur and it was not even tender! Hallelujah! He put me in an elastic ankle brace and told me to start wearing my shoes some during the day but if my foot gets to hurting too bad or if I know I'll be walking a lot to just wear the brace. I am so excited. I plan to have my left foot operated on in the summer. It already hurts worse than this one. Maybe there's hope you guys. My dr. also said that same Christmas week he had operated on two other people with the same problem as me - one from Fla and one from Tenn. One had already had 2 surgeries from different drs. He said all 3 of us were making a good recovery. I really recommend my dr. If anyone lives near Atlanta he is sure worth the drive!

Re: update on me - had my 6 wk post op visit

Rebecca C. on 2/01/02 at 15:52 (072204)

Hi Sarah, I've been following your progress and it sounds like you are doing great! I had the open surgery with spur removal on Jan. 15, so I'm about three weeks behind you. I never actually had a cast, just the cast boot. I had my stitches out last week. Today I went to the pool and swam for about 45 minutes which did wonders for my mental health. My doctor told me last week to start to stretch my foot by pulling my toes towards my nose 40 times a day and to trace the alphabet in the air by rotating my ankle. I wonder if that would help your ankle pain? I'm starting to try walking with the boot cast on without the crutches a bit, but it's still pretty sore. I'm glad to hear that you aren't even tender in the 'spot' which is pretty much where my incision is. When I put any weight on my foot without the boot on it feels very strange and sort of unstable. Do you feel like that? Anyway, good luck and keep posting about your progress.

Sarah T. on 2/01/02 at 21:02 (072269)

Hi Rebecca - Thanks for writing. My foot definitely feels strange and unstable but it is getting better daily. I feel as if I don't remember HOW to walk. I was excited to go to dinner tonight without my 'boot' and even though I had to walk very slow and gingerly I still felt great being almost back to my old self. I've been so tired of being 'handicapped'. I have a newfound respect and empathy for those who are permanently disabled. Has your incision completely healed? After I had my stitches removed the incision seemed to heal at each end but about 1 inch in the middle was still scabbed over and very tender. I finally decided that it might be getting infected. I put neosporin and a bandaid on it overnight and then the next morning when the scab was soft I could tell that indeed it did appear red. I started putting peroxide on it for a few days and so much of the tenderness that I had before was gone. I made a tremendous improvement over those few days. Good Luck to you! I also wondered if you had tried the shoes everyone raves about on this site - birkenstocks. I'm hesitant to buy them on line without trying them on and wondered if anyone knew if any stores carried them. Take care. --Sarah

Rebecca C. on 2/01/02 at 15:52 (072204)

Hi Sarah, I've been following your progress and it sounds like you are doing great! I had the open surgery with spur removal on Jan. 15, so I'm about three weeks behind you. I never actually had a cast, just the cast boot. I had my stitches out last week. Today I went to the pool and swam for about 45 minutes which did wonders for my mental health. My doctor told me last week to start to stretch my foot by pulling my toes towards my nose 40 times a day and to trace the alphabet in the air by rotating my ankle. I wonder if that would help your ankle pain? I'm starting to try walking with the boot cast on without the crutches a bit, but it's still pretty sore. I'm glad to hear that you aren't even tender in the 'spot' which is pretty much where my incision is. When I put any weight on my foot without the boot on it feels very strange and sort of unstable. Do you feel like that? Anyway, good luck and keep posting about your progress.

Sarah T. on 2/01/02 at 21:02 (072269)

Hi Rebecca - Thanks for writing. My foot definitely feels strange and unstable but it is getting better daily. I feel as if I don't remember HOW to walk. I was excited to go to dinner tonight without my 'boot' and even though I had to walk very slow and gingerly I still felt great being almost back to my old self. I've been so tired of being 'handicapped'. I have a newfound respect and empathy for those who are permanently disabled. Has your incision completely healed? After I had my stitches removed the incision seemed to heal at each end but about 1 inch in the middle was still scabbed over and very tender. I finally decided that it might be getting infected. I put neosporin and a bandaid on it overnight and then the next morning when the scab was soft I could tell that indeed it did appear red. I started putting peroxide on it for a few days and so much of the tenderness that I had before was gone. I made a tremendous improvement over those few days. Good Luck to you! I also wondered if you had tried the shoes everyone raves about on this site - birkenstocks. I'm hesitant to buy them on line without trying them on and wondered if anyone knew if any stores carried them. Take care. --Sarah