Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

just got my computer out of the shop . new hardrive $122

Posted by linda a on 2/01/02 at 17:14 (072229)

it is real nice to sit at my very own computer workstation at my home and not have to visit the library for a hour just to delete 200 pieces of junk mail every 2-3 days . i also miss my cat , chico sitting on my lap while i type messages . have a question on gas prices . here in louisville , Ky we just experienced a big jump in prices from early yesterday ( $1.04 / 87 octane ) to in the afternoon ( $1.21/87 octane ) . what our the prices in your area of the world ? luckily i was able to fill my whole tank up w/ the low price yesterday afternoon . i even experienced a big jump in electric / gas bill this month ( $ 86 to $ 146 ) and NO i did not have the christmas lights on the tree on too long . just last year i was living in an apartment paying for no heating bill . matter fact my electric bill was always around $ 20 . boy were those the good ole days . but i do enjoy my own garage , so i don't have to use the orthotics to scrape the window . i just read that on the message board . thanks for the TIP ! linda ( Ky) oh--- john did you see where the NCAA came down hard on kentucky's football team .

Re: just got my computer out of the shop . new hardrive $122

Carole C on 2/01/02 at 17:56 (072234)

Linda,

Gas prices here last week were 0.95/gal last week here in New Orleans but they are probably higher this week since it's the Superbowl and Carnival season leading up to Mardi Gras. I am about out of gas so I'll be finding out. The weather has been so strange here that I haven't had the heater or the A/C on, either one, since that very cold spell about a month ago.

Congratulations on your new hard drive! It's great to have your computer back, I'm sure. I would just like Cox Cable to get their act together so I could get online that way rather than using hourly AOL rates like right now.

Carole C

Necee on 2/01/02 at 22:21 (072276)

Hi Linda,
I know you must be really glad to have your computer back. It's kinda like having to take your clothes to the laundry when your use to the convience of having a washer at home, when we don't have it......we miss it.
The gas prices here in Texas are .98/gal, 1.02/gal and premium gas is 1.10. Our electric bill sure went up though, too many Christmas lights this year!
Happy Trails....
Necee

rich on 2/02/02 at 08:42 (072286)

To Carole C

Wanted to mention Cox has cable modems in Lafayette! Worth the expense!! Gas here was about 1.19 this past week! And for the strange weather, ran the A/C during the week and the heater running this morning! Enjoy Mardi Gras! Although I know you won't be standing around watching parages...lol.

Carole C in NOLA on 2/02/02 at 10:06 (072290)

That's what I'm talking about, rich. I have Cox cable modem, but here in New Orleans Cox had it subcontracted out to Excite@Home that went bankrupt. So now, they are trying to switch us all over to the Cox cable modem network, just like you and others in Lafayette have had all along. Nothing goes without a hitch, and we have had mysterious rolling blackouts of cable modem service for several days a week here.

Last week I spent numerous hours getting through to the Cox 24 hour technical support people on the phone and they arranged for Cox to actually send a real live cable modem technician to my apartment. He confirmed what I had been told on the phone... that my cable modem was out, that it had to do with switching networks, and that they were working on it, and that about 50% of cable modem customers in the New Orleans metro area were having the same experiences and it's like a rolling blackout of service, kind of patchy and that is making it hard for them to troubleshoot. He said it would improve in a couple of weeks and they will reimburse me for the cost of Cox Cable for the days when it doesn't work.

I can still get online using AOL dial-up on my old laptop, since my desktop is not near a phone line. It costs me an hourly rate, it ties up my phone line, it's slow, and I have to shut it down when I'm done. Connecting via phone is still very aggravating for a 'princess' like me who has had fast access for 3 years now.

I am seriously tempted to go to one of the Mardi Gras parades! I almost did last night and then told myself to 'get real'. Although I've been feeling SO much better lately, I still need to do less than I think I can rather than pushing myself at all, so that I don't have another setback. However, there's nothing that says I can't go for a drive and just soak up Mardi Gras spirit between the parades. I have only lived in southern Louisiana for six years but I love it here during carnival season, don't you? :)

How neat to find out that there is someone so close who posts on this board! I know a GREAT pedorthist in Metairie if you ever have need for one. There's a Birkenstock store in BR that I haven't been to. The one in uptown New Orleans doesn't seem to have much in stock at present, but they told me that when the spring line comes out they'll have more.

Carole C

rich on 2/02/02 at 12:38 (072297)

Carole: we have a couple place here that sell birks, been considering a pair. Can't stand the thought of summer in tennis shoes! I think that's how this whole thing started for me last summer. Tried some new exercises in the pool and spent lots of time in sandals. Thought at first that it was just a sign of age creeping up! Love N.O., never been for Mardi Gras. Lafayette has a nice, non-violent Mardi Gras with lots of stuff for the kids. Probable have to miss this year with this wonderful foot pain. Thought I was having a good morning and overdid it, so now I deserve some computer time. Good luck with your cable modem. I agree, I am spoiled quite a bit. Have DSL at work and just could not go back to slow speed at home! Born and bred right here in Lafayette. Couldn't think of being anywhere else. Most of the 'transplants' I know say the same thing. For those that don't know, it's always 'festival' time here in Cajun country!
My pod thinks that if he orders orthotics, I won't suffer through the adjustment period and doesn't want me to waste my money. He did suggest Sof-Sole motion control athletic inserts that are helping tremendoulsly in my New Balance's. So far, so good....

I picked up on your NOLA right away, agree that's it's neat we're posting on the same board. Don't know anyone who has the problem personnaly, but have been recommending this page to lots with foot pains. Of course, a good pod needs to be seen first!

Have a good day!

Re: hello carole and rich ! could you tell me a little bit about the mardi gras parade .

linda a on 2/02/02 at 15:23 (072302)

do new orleans celebrate every night for the mardi gras ? i always wanted to see the parade . i have seen it on COPS show ( bad guys what ya gonna do when they come after you ---- show ) . how do you celebrate ' fat tuesday ' ? linda ( ky )

Re: Gas prices and Birkenstock store

Carole C in NOLA on 2/02/02 at 15:51 (072304)

Rich,

I got custom orthotics in December and they didn't require much of any break in, though that varies depending on the orthotic and the person. They are much better for me than Birkenstocks, and my feet have healed considerably due to them for the most part, but they are in the biggest, ugliest looking HUGE SAS shoes that I have ever seen. Now that my feet have improved a lot, I'm starting to wear Birkenstocks more and my orthotics less because I prefer the way that the Birkenstocks look, and all the styles, and they do still provide me with enough support now that my feet have healed so much. It's interesting to read about your Sof-Sole motion control inserts and New Balances. A lot of people here really seem to do well in NB, but I have not tried them.

Today after writing my previous post, I did something totally spontaneous! I jumped in my car, bought gas ($1.06/$1.16/1.28 at the Shell station around the corner, $0.99/1.09/1.19 at the Spur convenience store further down, $1.01/1.11/1.21 at the Exxon by I-10), and drove to the Birkenstock store in Baton Rouge. That's 65 miles on I-10, plus surface streets so it took me about an hour and twenty minutes or so.

The Birkenstock store in BR is wonderful... everything I had hoped a Birkenstock store would be, from Suzanne's descriptions. They had a lot of Birkenstocks in stock and seemed to know what they were doing. They don't sell anything but Birkenstocks! I'll write more about it in the inserts/orthotics/shoes part of the board. But anyway, if you do ever decide to get Birkenstocks it's a good place to try them on. Get off at College and head towards the river.... it's right before Highland.

I'm glad to hear that you have some places that sell Birkenstocks in Lafayette too. I have a lot of friends there from when I lived in BR. One of them is diabetic and he told me there is a SAS shoe store somewhere around Johnston or Bertrand or something where he buys his shoes.

I wasn't born and raised here; Hawaii is where I'm from but I've lived in seven states. I've lived in Louisiana south of I-10 for 6 years now and plan to live here the rest of my life. I don't know anyone with foot problems either, so I love to post on this board where having PF isn't that unusual.

Carole C

Re: hello carole and rich ! could you tell me a little bit about the mardi gras parade .

Carole C in NOLA on 2/02/02 at 16:03 (072306)

We had several parades last night, more tonight, and there will be parades every night from now until Mardi Gras (February 12th) in the New Orleans area. The parades down on Bourbon St and in the French Quarter are the ones that are really crowded and where the tourists go, and they aren't safe for a 53 year old woman with arthritis and PF like myself to even try to attend alone (even if I could park, which is unlikely!). The parades in the suburbs are safer and less 'of a zoo', and the parades out in the smaller towns all over southern Louisiana, like Lafayette where rich is from, are even safer and less crowded. Most of the people that I know here in the New Orleans area do not attend parades that much, though some drive out to the countryside and go to parades there. Also there are private parties everywhere as well as parades. We need more fun, right? LOL My friends in Lafayette usually have a big Mardi Gras party that I attend (but not this year).

As for me, I celebrate Mardi Gras by having the day off from work. Even though I'm a federal employee, it's impossible to get to work on Mardi Gras day so we get the day off. I'm not Catholic, so for me that's about it for me.

At work, people bring King Cakes. These are circular cakes in the purple and green and yellow Mardi Gras colors, and although more often than not they are kind of dry and tasteless, some are moist and good and they do come in a lot of flavors. King cakes contain a plastic baby that is supposed to represent the baby Jesus. If the baby is in your piece, then you have to buy the next King Cake. This goes on, cake after cake, during the whole Carnival season that lasts several weeks from Epiphany (I think) to Mardi Gras.

People at work also have decorated their cubicles with festoons and baubles and Mardi Gras beads so it's a very festive time of year here. I guess that's about it.

Carole C

Re: are you saying...

elliott on 2/02/02 at 19:23 (072335)

gas prices are higher due to increased demand? Nah, couldn't be, could it? :-)

---

Carole C in NOLA on 2/02/02 at 21:22 (072357)

LOL! Well I can't say I didn't expect it, Elliott. :)

Carole C

Re: Here's the parade schedule for the New Orleans metro area

Carole C in NOLA on 2/03/02 at 09:46 (072402)

Just to give you an idea of what's going on in New Orleans from now to Mardi Gras, here's the parade schedule:

http://www.insideneworleans.com/events/holidays/2002_parades.html

Now bear in mind that this doesn't include any of the parades outside of New Orleans and suburbs, so for example the parades that Rich mentioned aren't listed here and neither are those in thousands of smaller communities across southern Louisiana.

Also, Rich can probably tell you lots more about Mardi Gras since she was born and raised in Southern Louisiana. I only told you what I've seen in my six years here. It's quite amazing. One of the reasons I love Louisiana so much is that they know how to 'pass a good time' so well here. It's more than parades, it's local culture.

Being a 'work hard, play hard' type of person, I like it here.

Well now, today we are hosting the Superbowl in the Superdome in downtown New Orleans, right in the middle of Mardi Gras festivities. Downtown is cordoned off for blocks around the Superdome and they've tried to schedule fewer parades while the Superbowl crowd is here. Usually there are more parades each night than are listed on the URL I gave. They started the parades a week early this year in order to accomodate the NFL.

Complicating matters, yesterday New Orleans had a hotly contested mayoral election in the middle of all this hoopla, choosing from a field of 15 candidates after our current mayor, Marc Morial, served his maximum of two terms. The results are that our police chief (Pennington) and the head of Cox Cable (Nagin) will be in a run-off for mayor. Maybe now that this initial election is over my Cox Cable modem access problems will improve, do you suppose? :)

Carole C

john h on 2/03/02 at 11:19 (072420)

Linda all we need here in Arkansas is a bale of hay which will get you about 25miles to the bale with a good mule. Horses consume a little more hay and the mileage is not nearly as good.

Re: john---- you are way too funny !!!

linda a on 2/03/02 at 14:50 (072443)

i can't believe all the low gas prices in the south . gas today is still up at $ 1.21 /87 octane . when i lived about < 10 mi away from the hospital i used to ride my bike in the wee hours of the morning ( starting at 4 am ). that was way long before the P.F. kick in . i had a big challege of two big hills to go up . pure adrenalin rush for me in the morning . now i just dream of those days of exercising . the one thing i hated the most about biking that early was seeing those ugly animals w/tail and pointed nose and teeth ( mind went blank on what to call them ).my heart rate would always go up when i saw them out on the road . linda ( lou,Ky) .

Re: They're "possums" (short for opossums), Linda...:-) (eom)

Suzanne D on 2/05/02 at 19:49 (072714)

Re: They look like alien rats from Mars! and scare me (nm)

Carole C in NOLA on 2/05/02 at 19:53 (072716)

Carole C on 2/01/02 at 17:56 (072234)

Linda,

Gas prices here last week were 0.95/gal last week here in New Orleans but they are probably higher this week since it's the Superbowl and Carnival season leading up to Mardi Gras. I am about out of gas so I'll be finding out. The weather has been so strange here that I haven't had the heater or the A/C on, either one, since that very cold spell about a month ago.

Congratulations on your new hard drive! It's great to have your computer back, I'm sure. I would just like Cox Cable to get their act together so I could get online that way rather than using hourly AOL rates like right now.

Carole C

Necee on 2/01/02 at 22:21 (072276)

Hi Linda,
I know you must be really glad to have your computer back. It's kinda like having to take your clothes to the laundry when your use to the convience of having a washer at home, when we don't have it......we miss it.
The gas prices here in Texas are .98/gal, 1.02/gal and premium gas is 1.10. Our electric bill sure went up though, too many Christmas lights this year!
Happy Trails....
Necee

rich on 2/02/02 at 08:42 (072286)

To Carole C

Wanted to mention Cox has cable modems in Lafayette! Worth the expense!! Gas here was about 1.19 this past week! And for the strange weather, ran the A/C during the week and the heater running this morning! Enjoy Mardi Gras! Although I know you won't be standing around watching parages...lol.

Carole C in NOLA on 2/02/02 at 10:06 (072290)

That's what I'm talking about, rich. I have Cox cable modem, but here in New Orleans Cox had it subcontracted out to Excite@Home that went bankrupt. So now, they are trying to switch us all over to the Cox cable modem network, just like you and others in Lafayette have had all along. Nothing goes without a hitch, and we have had mysterious rolling blackouts of cable modem service for several days a week here.

Last week I spent numerous hours getting through to the Cox 24 hour technical support people on the phone and they arranged for Cox to actually send a real live cable modem technician to my apartment. He confirmed what I had been told on the phone... that my cable modem was out, that it had to do with switching networks, and that they were working on it, and that about 50% of cable modem customers in the New Orleans metro area were having the same experiences and it's like a rolling blackout of service, kind of patchy and that is making it hard for them to troubleshoot. He said it would improve in a couple of weeks and they will reimburse me for the cost of Cox Cable for the days when it doesn't work.

I can still get online using AOL dial-up on my old laptop, since my desktop is not near a phone line. It costs me an hourly rate, it ties up my phone line, it's slow, and I have to shut it down when I'm done. Connecting via phone is still very aggravating for a 'princess' like me who has had fast access for 3 years now.

I am seriously tempted to go to one of the Mardi Gras parades! I almost did last night and then told myself to 'get real'. Although I've been feeling SO much better lately, I still need to do less than I think I can rather than pushing myself at all, so that I don't have another setback. However, there's nothing that says I can't go for a drive and just soak up Mardi Gras spirit between the parades. I have only lived in southern Louisiana for six years but I love it here during carnival season, don't you? :)

How neat to find out that there is someone so close who posts on this board! I know a GREAT pedorthist in Metairie if you ever have need for one. There's a Birkenstock store in BR that I haven't been to. The one in uptown New Orleans doesn't seem to have much in stock at present, but they told me that when the spring line comes out they'll have more.

Carole C

rich on 2/02/02 at 12:38 (072297)

Carole: we have a couple place here that sell birks, been considering a pair. Can't stand the thought of summer in tennis shoes! I think that's how this whole thing started for me last summer. Tried some new exercises in the pool and spent lots of time in sandals. Thought at first that it was just a sign of age creeping up! Love N.O., never been for Mardi Gras. Lafayette has a nice, non-violent Mardi Gras with lots of stuff for the kids. Probable have to miss this year with this wonderful foot pain. Thought I was having a good morning and overdid it, so now I deserve some computer time. Good luck with your cable modem. I agree, I am spoiled quite a bit. Have DSL at work and just could not go back to slow speed at home! Born and bred right here in Lafayette. Couldn't think of being anywhere else. Most of the 'transplants' I know say the same thing. For those that don't know, it's always 'festival' time here in Cajun country!
My pod thinks that if he orders orthotics, I won't suffer through the adjustment period and doesn't want me to waste my money. He did suggest Sof-Sole motion control athletic inserts that are helping tremendoulsly in my New Balance's. So far, so good....

I picked up on your NOLA right away, agree that's it's neat we're posting on the same board. Don't know anyone who has the problem personnaly, but have been recommending this page to lots with foot pains. Of course, a good pod needs to be seen first!

Have a good day!

linda a on 2/02/02 at 15:23 (072302)

do new orleans celebrate every night for the mardi gras ? i always wanted to see the parade . i have seen it on COPS show ( bad guys what ya gonna do when they come after you ---- show ) . how do you celebrate ' fat tuesday ' ? linda ( ky )

Re: Gas prices and Birkenstock store

Carole C in NOLA on 2/02/02 at 15:51 (072304)

Rich,

I got custom orthotics in December and they didn't require much of any break in, though that varies depending on the orthotic and the person. They are much better for me than Birkenstocks, and my feet have healed considerably due to them for the most part, but they are in the biggest, ugliest looking HUGE SAS shoes that I have ever seen. Now that my feet have improved a lot, I'm starting to wear Birkenstocks more and my orthotics less because I prefer the way that the Birkenstocks look, and all the styles, and they do still provide me with enough support now that my feet have healed so much. It's interesting to read about your Sof-Sole motion control inserts and New Balances. A lot of people here really seem to do well in NB, but I have not tried them.

Today after writing my previous post, I did something totally spontaneous! I jumped in my car, bought gas ($1.06/$1.16/1.28 at the Shell station around the corner, $0.99/1.09/1.19 at the Spur convenience store further down, $1.01/1.11/1.21 at the Exxon by I-10), and drove to the Birkenstock store in Baton Rouge. That's 65 miles on I-10, plus surface streets so it took me about an hour and twenty minutes or so.

The Birkenstock store in BR is wonderful... everything I had hoped a Birkenstock store would be, from Suzanne's descriptions. They had a lot of Birkenstocks in stock and seemed to know what they were doing. They don't sell anything but Birkenstocks! I'll write more about it in the inserts/orthotics/shoes part of the board. But anyway, if you do ever decide to get Birkenstocks it's a good place to try them on. Get off at College and head towards the river.... it's right before Highland.

I'm glad to hear that you have some places that sell Birkenstocks in Lafayette too. I have a lot of friends there from when I lived in BR. One of them is diabetic and he told me there is a SAS shoe store somewhere around Johnston or Bertrand or something where he buys his shoes.

I wasn't born and raised here; Hawaii is where I'm from but I've lived in seven states. I've lived in Louisiana south of I-10 for 6 years now and plan to live here the rest of my life. I don't know anyone with foot problems either, so I love to post on this board where having PF isn't that unusual.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 2/02/02 at 16:03 (072306)

We had several parades last night, more tonight, and there will be parades every night from now until Mardi Gras (February 12th) in the New Orleans area. The parades down on Bourbon St and in the French Quarter are the ones that are really crowded and where the tourists go, and they aren't safe for a 53 year old woman with arthritis and PF like myself to even try to attend alone (even if I could park, which is unlikely!). The parades in the suburbs are safer and less 'of a zoo', and the parades out in the smaller towns all over southern Louisiana, like Lafayette where rich is from, are even safer and less crowded. Most of the people that I know here in the New Orleans area do not attend parades that much, though some drive out to the countryside and go to parades there. Also there are private parties everywhere as well as parades. We need more fun, right? LOL My friends in Lafayette usually have a big Mardi Gras party that I attend (but not this year).

As for me, I celebrate Mardi Gras by having the day off from work. Even though I'm a federal employee, it's impossible to get to work on Mardi Gras day so we get the day off. I'm not Catholic, so for me that's about it for me.

At work, people bring King Cakes. These are circular cakes in the purple and green and yellow Mardi Gras colors, and although more often than not they are kind of dry and tasteless, some are moist and good and they do come in a lot of flavors. King cakes contain a plastic baby that is supposed to represent the baby Jesus. If the baby is in your piece, then you have to buy the next King Cake. This goes on, cake after cake, during the whole Carnival season that lasts several weeks from Epiphany (I think) to Mardi Gras.

People at work also have decorated their cubicles with festoons and baubles and Mardi Gras beads so it's a very festive time of year here. I guess that's about it.

Carole C

elliott on 2/02/02 at 19:23 (072335)

gas prices are higher due to increased demand? Nah, couldn't be, could it? :-)

---

Carole C in NOLA on 2/02/02 at 21:22 (072357)

LOL! Well I can't say I didn't expect it, Elliott. :)

Carole C

Re: Here's the parade schedule for the New Orleans metro area

Carole C in NOLA on 2/03/02 at 09:46 (072402)

Just to give you an idea of what's going on in New Orleans from now to Mardi Gras, here's the parade schedule:

http://www.insideneworleans.com/events/holidays/2002_parades.html

Now bear in mind that this doesn't include any of the parades outside of New Orleans and suburbs, so for example the parades that Rich mentioned aren't listed here and neither are those in thousands of smaller communities across southern Louisiana.

Also, Rich can probably tell you lots more about Mardi Gras since she was born and raised in Southern Louisiana. I only told you what I've seen in my six years here. It's quite amazing. One of the reasons I love Louisiana so much is that they know how to 'pass a good time' so well here. It's more than parades, it's local culture.

Being a 'work hard, play hard' type of person, I like it here.

Well now, today we are hosting the Superbowl in the Superdome in downtown New Orleans, right in the middle of Mardi Gras festivities. Downtown is cordoned off for blocks around the Superdome and they've tried to schedule fewer parades while the Superbowl crowd is here. Usually there are more parades each night than are listed on the URL I gave. They started the parades a week early this year in order to accomodate the NFL.

Complicating matters, yesterday New Orleans had a hotly contested mayoral election in the middle of all this hoopla, choosing from a field of 15 candidates after our current mayor, Marc Morial, served his maximum of two terms. The results are that our police chief (Pennington) and the head of Cox Cable (Nagin) will be in a run-off for mayor. Maybe now that this initial election is over my Cox Cable modem access problems will improve, do you suppose? :)

Carole C

john h on 2/03/02 at 11:19 (072420)

Linda all we need here in Arkansas is a bale of hay which will get you about 25miles to the bale with a good mule. Horses consume a little more hay and the mileage is not nearly as good.

Re: john---- you are way too funny !!!

linda a on 2/03/02 at 14:50 (072443)

i can't believe all the low gas prices in the south . gas today is still up at $ 1.21 /87 octane . when i lived about < 10 mi away from the hospital i used to ride my bike in the wee hours of the morning ( starting at 4 am ). that was way long before the P.F. kick in . i had a big challege of two big hills to go up . pure adrenalin rush for me in the morning . now i just dream of those days of exercising . the one thing i hated the most about biking that early was seeing those ugly animals w/tail and pointed nose and teeth ( mind went blank on what to call them ).my heart rate would always go up when i saw them out on the road . linda ( lou,Ky) .

Re: They're "possums" (short for opossums), Linda...:-) (eom)

Suzanne D on 2/05/02 at 19:49 (072714)

Re: They look like alien rats from Mars! and scare me (nm)

Carole C in NOLA on 2/05/02 at 19:53 (072716)