Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Need Ossatron recs--please help

Posted by Melissa A on 2/01/02 at 17:25 (072230)

Hello,

I am new to posting to this site. I have been reading for a while, though, and have found this site to be very valuable. I have had PF for more than 5 years now, and I have decided to try ESWT before having surgery. I live in New England, and there aren't any doctors in my area who are using the Ossatron. Therefore, I will have to travel to get the procedure done. Can anyone give me recommendations as to who to go to, preferably near the east coast? Has anyone heard of one place or doctor being exceptionally good? I don't know where to start in selecting a doctor/medical center, and I welcome any feedback you may have.

Thanks in advance,
Melissa

Re: Need Ossatron recs--please help

DR Zuckerman on 2/01/02 at 17:57 (072235)

We have been using ESWT for the past two years with very effective heel pain relief. We would be very happy to send you a packet describing our
ESWT program. IF you would like to e-mail Dr. Z the e-mail address is footcare @home.com we will send you a packet .

Re: Dornier coming to MGH

BrianG on 2/02/02 at 20:47 (072351)

Hi Melissa,

As a fellow New Englander, I can tell you they are no ESWT machines in MA yet. MGH in Boston should have a Dornier ESWT machine up and running in a few months. It will be run out of their orthopeadic treatment division, (617) 724-9338. Good luck

BCG

PS Lots of OssaTron information on the search engines.

nancy w on 2/03/02 at 18:36 (072478)

Hi Melissa, I've had PF for a while and tried everything. After going to two doctors who both recommended surgery, I decided to try ESWT with Dr. Zuckerman. It was a real leap of faith for me because I live in Orlando and flew to New Jersey for the day and had the procedure done. I am very pleased with the ESWT, Dr. Z and his staff. Everyone was great to me and very helpfull. The procedure was fairly painless and I am about 80% better, and it's only been 3 weeks. I've had pain free days and am excited about the prospect of my foot continuing to heal, and living a pain free life. Although I was nervous about going to NJ and seeing DR. Z, I felt I had nothing to loss but money. So far, I am thrilled with the results and highly recommend Dr. Z. and the ESWT. Please e mail me personally if you want more informantion. Good luck! Nancy W

Melissa A on 2/03/02 at 20:43 (072485)

Thank you, Dr. Z. Do you use only the other 'O' machine (I know the word is blocked)? Is this machine much different from the Ossatron?
Thanks, Melissa

Melissa A on 2/03/02 at 20:47 (072487)

Brian,
Have you heard for sure that this will be coming to MGH in a few months? I was waiting for that to happen, but, from what I heard, this is not yet definite. I am hoping, though, as this would be ideal for me. Thanks for the info,
Melissa

Melissa A on 2/03/02 at 20:51 (072488)

Nancy,
Thank you for the recommendation and the helpful information. I am glad you are feeling better and that it was worth the trip. I would like to take you up on your offer to email you; could you please provide me your email address?
Thanks,
Melissa

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/03/02 at 21:20 (072493)

Right now the O is what I am using . It is a high energy machine that uses spark gap technology. IT's method of ESWT production is the same

KP on 2/04/02 at 15:16 (072546)

Nancy, it is really great. My congratilations!
Can you provide us with the cost info. I mean on this board.
Thanks

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/04/02 at 21:37 (072593)

If they had the money the machine can be in their hands within two days. There are plenty of Dornier machine ready to go. IT may not be possible for them to buy this machine at this time. It cost hundreds of thousands of dollars. to buy

Re: Dornier coming to MGH/Question for Allan

john h on 2/05/02 at 10:36 (072633)

Dr. Z would you not guess that the people in Australia and Canada are buying the Doriner machines due to the price that they deliver the treatments? I noticed the protocol for Dornier in Canada and Australia are much the same for PF treatment. 2000 shocks, 3 treatments spaced one week a part. One of the techs in Canada said the treatments might be spaced closer depending on the patient. Alan in Australia explained you are looking at the overall accumulated dose. Wonder if Allan might explaine why the one week spacing between treatments, Is the FDA approved treatment with Dornier the same protocol as in Australia and Canada. Surely they did not tack on anathesia??????????????? If they did we are surely idiots.

John h on 2/05/02 at 15:19 (072654)

Hey Dr. Z: sell your car and buy a Honda and go to New York rather than Berlin for your conventions and then fork over and buy that bad boy.

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/05/02 at 17:59 (072682)

You are telling like it is !!! thanks

BrianG on 2/05/02 at 22:50 (072739)

Hi Melissa,

I'll be honest with you, I don't know how long it will be before MGH gets their Dornier up and running. I have been in touch with them, but have not gotten an answer back. Since they (MGH) were one of the original few hospitals / clinics to perform the trials for the FDA, I would think they have a big interest in offering it to the public.

My thinking is that they already have numerous patients they are treating for PF. These folks will get first shot at the machince. When time permits, the rest of us will get a chance, jmho. Did you call that tel. number I gave you? Good luck

BCG

dr j wilner on 2/06/02 at 18:15 (072837)

i am on the post-treatment study for plantar fasciitis along with other
docs.....from the data i have the long term results have been quite positive.....i can attest to that.....

john h on 2/07/02 at 09:16 (072896)

Dr. Wilner: Do you know the exact protocol for treatmen in the U.S. approved by the FDA for Dornier?

Re: What studies ????

BrianG on 2/08/02 at 22:30 (073111)

Dr Wilner,

What post treatment studies are you talking about? FDA? Are these the same Dornier patients who had the trials a couple years ago? OssaTron patients? Which ESWT machines are you talking about? What are the numbers so far?

Please, keep us in the loop,
BrianG

John h on 2/09/02 at 09:22 (073128)

you can find the studies on the Dornier studies conduted by FDA if you will go to http://www.fda.gov and enter Dornier in the searh block. 150 patients in trials with half receiving bogus treatment and half receiving real treatment. All the state are there.

BrianG on 2/09/02 at 15:23 (073162)

Hi John,

I don't think this is what the Dr. is talking about. He said the POST treatment studies. I'm not even sure he was talking abut Dornier, the machines haven't been approved long enough to be doing post studies. I don't know, but I seemed to think he might have been using the OssaTron, that is why I was wondering about studies.

BrianG

carolh on 2/10/02 at 15:55 (073273)

I would like to konw in the midwest who would be available to use a
Ossatron. I have had wave treatments from my doctor and have orthonics,
all is better on my left foot but my right is stil in pain. I also have
a spur on the back of my ankle, the only thing my doctor said said was
surgey and in a cast for 7 weeks ugh

john h on 2/11/02 at 10:27 (073341)

Brian: If I read the FDA studies on the OssaTron correctily doctors were required to provide followup information on thier patients. I could not find any of that data on the FDA website but the Ossatron and Dornier initial studies are still there. I have at various times found a wealth of studies availble on websites in Europe on ESWT.

John h on 2/11/02 at 17:32 (073375)

I think Dr. Marlene is somewhere there in the midwest. Help us out Doctor?

Re: John h and Carol

Julie on 2/12/02 at 03:12 (073402)

Dr Marlene Reid and Dr Leon Kosova are near Chicago.

lori B on 2/13/02 at 20:01 (073649)

I live in new england too, and even play pro womens football. I am going to visit dr. z in new jersey, i cant handle this heal spur anymore. and i have found him to be the closest. did you have the treatment yet?

lori B on 2/13/02 at 20:07 (073653)

wow, i am considering the eswt also from dr. z, and i am traveling from norwich connecticut, email me with what you think if you dont mind.

lori B on 2/13/02 at 20:10 (073655)

ps, my email is (email removed)
thanks to everyone for taking time to write to me. I appreciate it.

john h on 2/14/02 at 09:43 (073686)

Lori: Dr Z will treat the body,mind and spirit. Having made that trip from Little Rock to New Jersey (ugh) 4 times I would no go otherwise.

DR Zuckerman on 2/01/02 at 17:57 (072235)

We have been using ESWT for the past two years with very effective heel pain relief. We would be very happy to send you a packet describing our
ESWT program. IF you would like to e-mail Dr. Z the e-mail address is footcare @home.com we will send you a packet .

BrianG on 2/02/02 at 20:47 (072351)

Hi Melissa,

As a fellow New Englander, I can tell you they are no ESWT machines in MA yet. MGH in Boston should have a Dornier ESWT machine up and running in a few months. It will be run out of their orthopeadic treatment division, (617) 724-9338. Good luck

BCG

PS Lots of OssaTron information on the search engines.

nancy w on 2/03/02 at 18:36 (072478)

Hi Melissa, I've had PF for a while and tried everything. After going to two doctors who both recommended surgery, I decided to try ESWT with Dr. Zuckerman. It was a real leap of faith for me because I live in Orlando and flew to New Jersey for the day and had the procedure done. I am very pleased with the ESWT, Dr. Z and his staff. Everyone was great to me and very helpfull. The procedure was fairly painless and I am about 80% better, and it's only been 3 weeks. I've had pain free days and am excited about the prospect of my foot continuing to heal, and living a pain free life. Although I was nervous about going to NJ and seeing DR. Z, I felt I had nothing to loss but money. So far, I am thrilled with the results and highly recommend Dr. Z. and the ESWT. Please e mail me personally if you want more informantion. Good luck! Nancy W

Melissa A on 2/03/02 at 20:43 (072485)

Thank you, Dr. Z. Do you use only the other 'O' machine (I know the word is blocked)? Is this machine much different from the Ossatron?
Thanks, Melissa

Melissa A on 2/03/02 at 20:47 (072487)

Brian,
Have you heard for sure that this will be coming to MGH in a few months? I was waiting for that to happen, but, from what I heard, this is not yet definite. I am hoping, though, as this would be ideal for me. Thanks for the info,
Melissa

Melissa A on 2/03/02 at 20:51 (072488)

Nancy,
Thank you for the recommendation and the helpful information. I am glad you are feeling better and that it was worth the trip. I would like to take you up on your offer to email you; could you please provide me your email address?
Thanks,
Melissa

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/03/02 at 21:20 (072493)

Right now the O is what I am using . It is a high energy machine that uses spark gap technology. IT's method of ESWT production is the same

KP on 2/04/02 at 15:16 (072546)

Nancy, it is really great. My congratilations!
Can you provide us with the cost info. I mean on this board.
Thanks

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/04/02 at 21:37 (072593)

If they had the money the machine can be in their hands within two days. There are plenty of Dornier machine ready to go. IT may not be possible for them to buy this machine at this time. It cost hundreds of thousands of dollars. to buy

Re: Dornier coming to MGH/Question for Allan

john h on 2/05/02 at 10:36 (072633)

Dr. Z would you not guess that the people in Australia and Canada are buying the Doriner machines due to the price that they deliver the treatments? I noticed the protocol for Dornier in Canada and Australia are much the same for PF treatment. 2000 shocks, 3 treatments spaced one week a part. One of the techs in Canada said the treatments might be spaced closer depending on the patient. Alan in Australia explained you are looking at the overall accumulated dose. Wonder if Allan might explaine why the one week spacing between treatments, Is the FDA approved treatment with Dornier the same protocol as in Australia and Canada. Surely they did not tack on anathesia??????????????? If they did we are surely idiots.

John h on 2/05/02 at 15:19 (072654)

Hey Dr. Z: sell your car and buy a Honda and go to New York rather than Berlin for your conventions and then fork over and buy that bad boy.

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/05/02 at 17:59 (072682)

You are telling like it is !!! thanks

BrianG on 2/05/02 at 22:50 (072739)

Hi Melissa,

I'll be honest with you, I don't know how long it will be before MGH gets their Dornier up and running. I have been in touch with them, but have not gotten an answer back. Since they (MGH) were one of the original few hospitals / clinics to perform the trials for the FDA, I would think they have a big interest in offering it to the public.

My thinking is that they already have numerous patients they are treating for PF. These folks will get first shot at the machince. When time permits, the rest of us will get a chance, jmho. Did you call that tel. number I gave you? Good luck

BCG

dr j wilner on 2/06/02 at 18:15 (072837)

i am on the post-treatment study for plantar fasciitis along with other
docs.....from the data i have the long term results have been quite positive.....i can attest to that.....

john h on 2/07/02 at 09:16 (072896)

Dr. Wilner: Do you know the exact protocol for treatmen in the U.S. approved by the FDA for Dornier?

BrianG on 2/08/02 at 22:30 (073111)

Dr Wilner,

What post treatment studies are you talking about? FDA? Are these the same Dornier patients who had the trials a couple years ago? OssaTron patients? Which ESWT machines are you talking about? What are the numbers so far?

Please, keep us in the loop,
BrianG

John h on 2/09/02 at 09:22 (073128)

you can find the studies on the Dornier studies conduted by FDA if you will go to http://www.fda.gov and enter Dornier in the searh block. 150 patients in trials with half receiving bogus treatment and half receiving real treatment. All the state are there.

BrianG on 2/09/02 at 15:23 (073162)

Hi John,

I don't think this is what the Dr. is talking about. He said the POST treatment studies. I'm not even sure he was talking abut Dornier, the machines haven't been approved long enough to be doing post studies. I don't know, but I seemed to think he might have been using the OssaTron, that is why I was wondering about studies.

BrianG

carolh on 2/10/02 at 15:55 (073273)

I would like to konw in the midwest who would be available to use a
Ossatron. I have had wave treatments from my doctor and have orthonics,
all is better on my left foot but my right is stil in pain. I also have
a spur on the back of my ankle, the only thing my doctor said said was
surgey and in a cast for 7 weeks ugh

john h on 2/11/02 at 10:27 (073341)

Brian: If I read the FDA studies on the OssaTron correctily doctors were required to provide followup information on thier patients. I could not find any of that data on the FDA website but the Ossatron and Dornier initial studies are still there. I have at various times found a wealth of studies availble on websites in Europe on ESWT.

John h on 2/11/02 at 17:32 (073375)

I think Dr. Marlene is somewhere there in the midwest. Help us out Doctor?

Re: John h and Carol

Julie on 2/12/02 at 03:12 (073402)

Dr Marlene Reid and Dr Leon Kosova are near Chicago.

lori B on 2/13/02 at 20:01 (073649)

I live in new england too, and even play pro womens football. I am going to visit dr. z in new jersey, i cant handle this heal spur anymore. and i have found him to be the closest. did you have the treatment yet?

lori B on 2/13/02 at 20:07 (073653)

wow, i am considering the eswt also from dr. z, and i am traveling from norwich connecticut, email me with what you think if you dont mind.

lori B on 2/13/02 at 20:10 (073655)

ps, my email is (email removed)
thanks to everyone for taking time to write to me. I appreciate it.

john h on 2/14/02 at 09:43 (073686)

Lori: Dr Z will treat the body,mind and spirit. Having made that trip from Little Rock to New Jersey (ugh) 4 times I would no go otherwise.