Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Doc question: Longterm use of ankle brace?

Posted by Beverly on 2/01/02 at 22:56 (072278)

I've been wearing an ankle brace for two months for PTTD that was reinjured in early December. (ASO Ankle Stablizer... stiff cloth material that laces up and velcros in three places).

Wearing it makes a big difference. When I don't wear it, my ankle starts to hurt after a few minutes. When I wear it, I may have as much as 15 - 20 good minutes before I have to sit down. It feels much better in the brace.
I can literally feel it being stablized.

I wear always wear it when I leave the house. Inside the house, I wear it for projects that put me on my feet five minutes or more. I always take it off when I am sitting or reclining.

I do gentle stretches three times a day and get a massage twice a week.
In light of this, I'd like to know what are the long term results of wearing a brace? I am concerned about my ankle weakening/astrophing. But I don't feel like I can get by without it presently.

Is it ok to wear one indefinitely? It is not like a cast because I am not immobilized all the time. I hope I only have to wear it a few more months.
Does stretching and regular massage help cut down on risk of muscle weakening?

Thank you,
Beverly

Re: Doc question: Longterm use of ankle brace?

DR Zuckerman on 2/02/02 at 07:07 (072284)

IT is important to wear the brace for control pain and to avoid progression of the PTTD. Without this brace the condition can and will progress to joint damage and surgery

paula on 2/02/02 at 08:35 (072285)

has no doctor suggested physical therapy to learn to strengthen foot and ankle and tendons?

Beverly on 2/02/02 at 15:48 (072303)

I've had PT... months of it about 1.5 years ago. I still do my exercises.
Beverly

Re: Thanks Dr. Z. Will keep wearing it.

Beverly on 2/02/02 at 15:57 (072305)

Thank you, Dr. Z. I guess I need to keep wearing the brace.
The orthopedic surgeon said it was ok not to wear it for quicks trips about the house, like going to the bathroom or to get a cup of coffee.
The five minute rule has been my own rule of thumb.
And in general, I am going out of my way to stay off my ankle even when I am wearing the brace. For instance, I have someone else carry in and put away my groceries.

I would certainly prefer to avoid surgery and I do feel better than I did a month ago when I reinjured it. I am anxious to find out which stage I have and am going to ask that next time I see the doctor. I think I could do the toe thing but don't want to try it out without the doctor being there. My own guess is that I'm hovering somewhere between a bad case of stage 1 and the early stages of stage 2.

Thanks,
Beverly

DR Zuckerman on 2/02/02 at 16:13 (072307)

and then it is also possible to heal over a long time such as one year with the use of the brace.

DR Zuckerman on 2/02/02 at 07:07 (072284)

IT is important to wear the brace for control pain and to avoid progression of the PTTD. Without this brace the condition can and will progress to joint damage and surgery

paula on 2/02/02 at 08:35 (072285)

has no doctor suggested physical therapy to learn to strengthen foot and ankle and tendons?

Beverly on 2/02/02 at 15:48 (072303)

I've had PT... months of it about 1.5 years ago. I still do my exercises.
Beverly

Beverly on 2/02/02 at 15:57 (072305)

Thank you, Dr. Z. I guess I need to keep wearing the brace.
The orthopedic surgeon said it was ok not to wear it for quicks trips about the house, like going to the bathroom or to get a cup of coffee.
The five minute rule has been my own rule of thumb.
And in general, I am going out of my way to stay off my ankle even when I am wearing the brace. For instance, I have someone else carry in and put away my groceries.

I would certainly prefer to avoid surgery and I do feel better than I did a month ago when I reinjured it. I am anxious to find out which stage I have and am going to ask that next time I see the doctor. I think I could do the toe thing but don't want to try it out without the doctor being there. My own guess is that I'm hovering somewhere between a bad case of stage 1 and the early stages of stage 2.

Thanks,
Beverly

DR Zuckerman on 2/02/02 at 16:13 (072307)

and then it is also possible to heal over a long time such as one year with the use of the brace.