Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

New Birkenstock catalog is out! And Birkenstock fit for unusual feet

Posted by Carole C in NOLA on 2/02/02 at 17:16 (072315)

Today I went to the Birkenstock store in Baton Rouge, and got the new catalog! The new shoes will follow in a couple of weeks or so.

Also I found out why the strap tightness is so crucial for me in particular. Basically, my foot is a 39 but it is too wide for that size (just barely!) so I have to wear a 40. That makes the 40 too long on me so the bumps don't hit my arch in the right place and my foot slides around a lot because it doesn't really fit in the footbed well. It fits in the 39 footbed much better, but then my toes curl over the outer edge and the saleslady said that would end up hurting. Too bad they don't make a 39 1/2, or even better a 39 wide for my unusual feet.

The Tatami high arch (like my new Amsterdams) fits me pretty well in a 40; I think they may run a half size smaller than the classic footbed. I asked about a similar high arch Tatami footbed in a sandal, and they instantly said the Fulda is what I want. They had it in a 39, but not in a 40 so I didn't buy it. Besides, I want to look at the catalog and see what they will be getting in.

The Granada is a wider shoe than most with the classic footbed, I was told. It felt better in the smaller size (39) than the Arizona or Fulda in that size.

The soft footbed Arizona feels too soft and squishy for me; it feels like a lower arch because of that. The classic footbed Oder that feels awful for some reason, as though it was a low arch. They never mentioned the Margaret in my quest for a high arch, but I noticed some displayed and pointed them out. The Margaret seems to have the microfiber footbed and I never got around to trying them on.

She told me to avoid the June because it would never fit my foot; apparently it is only available in narrow and runs narrow.

Re: New Birkenstock catalog is out! And Birkenstock fit for unusual feet

Suzanne D on 2/02/02 at 17:43 (072321)

How nice that you were able to make this trip and find the Birkenstock store, Carole! Thank you for telling us about it and about what you learned concerning the various shoes and their special features. I am going to read this again when I have more time to absorb it all! My time is limited right now, but I wanted to say thanks for sharing. Continue having a good weekend, Carole!

:-) Suzanne

Suzanne D on 2/03/02 at 07:40 (072389)

I'm going to copy your post, Carole, and stick it in the new catalog when I get one. I will have to take note of the Fulda you mentioned. I believe your salesperson may have been more knowlegable than the one I first spoke with at my store. But, in her defense, the store had only been open a few months last August, so perhaps she was just learning, too. I want to go back this spring. And, you are right: from things I've read, the Tatami is sized a little shorter than the classic. I understand your conflict with one size fitting better in one way, and one another. It's our special, unusual feet once again! :-)

Hope you're continuing to have a nice weekend!

Carole C in NOLA on 2/03/02 at 07:45 (072390)

Great, I'm glad if any of this can be helpful. I'm having a nice weekend. Any day when I don't have to wake up to the alarm is a nice one, I think!

I hope you are getting over the flu, and not overdoing! Take care.

Carole C

Suzanne D on 2/02/02 at 17:43 (072321)

How nice that you were able to make this trip and find the Birkenstock store, Carole! Thank you for telling us about it and about what you learned concerning the various shoes and their special features. I am going to read this again when I have more time to absorb it all! My time is limited right now, but I wanted to say thanks for sharing. Continue having a good weekend, Carole!

:-) Suzanne

Suzanne D on 2/03/02 at 07:40 (072389)

I'm going to copy your post, Carole, and stick it in the new catalog when I get one. I will have to take note of the Fulda you mentioned. I believe your salesperson may have been more knowlegable than the one I first spoke with at my store. But, in her defense, the store had only been open a few months last August, so perhaps she was just learning, too. I want to go back this spring. And, you are right: from things I've read, the Tatami is sized a little shorter than the classic. I understand your conflict with one size fitting better in one way, and one another. It's our special, unusual feet once again! :-)

Hope you're continuing to have a nice weekend!

Carole C in NOLA on 2/03/02 at 07:45 (072390)

Great, I'm glad if any of this can be helpful. I'm having a nice weekend. Any day when I don't have to wake up to the alarm is a nice one, I think!

I hope you are getting over the flu, and not overdoing! Take care.

Carole C