Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

is it possible to over stretch?

Posted by dora on 2/02/02 at 19:29 (072337)

I am new to PF. However,I was wondering if it is actually possible to over stretch? I've been doing stretches religiously for the last few days since my visit to the podiatrist. It seems to be helping. I am almost afraid to pull and/or push to hard while stretching. However, I 've also been resting unlike I have before. Of course this rest has been the best for my feet. Any advice?

Re: is it possible to over stretch?

Ellen J. on 2/03/02 at 10:37 (072413)

Hi Dora,
I'm a P.F. sufferer (not a doctor) who has overstretched and reinjured my fascia. I got some great advice from a couple of people in this forum and I hope you also get some good advice from someone experienced. In addition to reccommended yoga stretches, I sit at my desk while working, sit on the front edge of my chair, straighten my legs with heels resting on floor and gently flex my feet backward (so that my toe area comes toward my knees) and hold that position. I do not use a towel or my hands to pull on my feet--I just let my feet do the work.
I have a question for those who are experienced and that is, do we HAVE to warm up before doing gentle stretches? It seems like such a process to go through and I wonder if there is a safe way to gently stretch without doing warm-ups. For instance, is what I'm doing at my desk OK? Or should I still be moving my feet in circles as a warm-up, as I would do for yoga stretches?
So far I have not re-injured as a result of stretching this way but I don't know how risky it is.
Ellen

dora on 2/03/02 at 15:11 (072449)

Ellen,
I was just diagnosed with PF. I have been doing my stretches religiously(gently). Most of the time they help but once in awhile they to tend to make my feet worse. I can't dtermine what makes them hurt. Whether I am stretching too long or too much. I am still trying to figure it out.
Dora

Danielle O on 2/03/02 at 23:56 (072507)

I had pain for a long time with PF. I found ice to be very important!! and gentle frequent stretching crucial, as well as proper arch suport of the foot-very important.

Carole C in NOLA on 2/04/02 at 07:29 (072511)

For the first two months after diagnosis I did very gentle stretching, on the advice of my pedorthist. These were non-weightbearing stretches, just pointing my toe towards my face while sitting on a bed with my leg straight out on the bed, and holding my knee down at the same time. These really helped. Now, I'm just starting to tug on my toes a bit with my hand.

For me, cautious stretching has been very helpful. The trick (for me) is to not do anything too abrupt or extreme that could cause further tearing or strain. Pointing my toes has been very safe, and for me even that has been enough to help. I did not do anything more than that while my tendons were still 'tight'; now that they seem to have loosened up I'm able to do a little more.

Carole C

Ellen J. on 2/04/02 at 11:01 (072525)

I found that when I put my toes against a wall and did my stretches that way, I was tearing my fascia each time, esp. if I held the stretch a long time. That is why I don't use any force against my feet anymore. I remember that when I first got PF, that even just a tiny bit of stretching would hurt. I waited until later, when my feet were less inflamed to begin stretching. Doctors may have different advice than that, so I would check with the doctors to see what is the best approach. I keep hearing that 'pain' is the gauge to go by. If it hurts, don't do it. Since people keep saying that we should warm the muscle before stretching it, I wonder if the following would work for stretching the feet. If a person doesn't have time to do an aerobic warm-up prior to stretching, what would happen if a person placed a heating pad on the floor under their desk while working, placed their feet on it to get them nice and warm and then stretched. Any opinions?

Ellen J. on 2/03/02 at 10:37 (072413)

Hi Dora,
I'm a P.F. sufferer (not a doctor) who has overstretched and reinjured my fascia. I got some great advice from a couple of people in this forum and I hope you also get some good advice from someone experienced. In addition to reccommended yoga stretches, I sit at my desk while working, sit on the front edge of my chair, straighten my legs with heels resting on floor and gently flex my feet backward (so that my toe area comes toward my knees) and hold that position. I do not use a towel or my hands to pull on my feet--I just let my feet do the work.
I have a question for those who are experienced and that is, do we HAVE to warm up before doing gentle stretches? It seems like such a process to go through and I wonder if there is a safe way to gently stretch without doing warm-ups. For instance, is what I'm doing at my desk OK? Or should I still be moving my feet in circles as a warm-up, as I would do for yoga stretches?
So far I have not re-injured as a result of stretching this way but I don't know how risky it is.
Ellen

dora on 2/03/02 at 15:11 (072449)

Ellen,
I was just diagnosed with PF. I have been doing my stretches religiously(gently). Most of the time they help but once in awhile they to tend to make my feet worse. I can't dtermine what makes them hurt. Whether I am stretching too long or too much. I am still trying to figure it out.
Dora

Danielle O on 2/03/02 at 23:56 (072507)

I had pain for a long time with PF. I found ice to be very important!! and gentle frequent stretching crucial, as well as proper arch suport of the foot-very important.

Carole C in NOLA on 2/04/02 at 07:29 (072511)

For the first two months after diagnosis I did very gentle stretching, on the advice of my pedorthist. These were non-weightbearing stretches, just pointing my toe towards my face while sitting on a bed with my leg straight out on the bed, and holding my knee down at the same time. These really helped. Now, I'm just starting to tug on my toes a bit with my hand.

For me, cautious stretching has been very helpful. The trick (for me) is to not do anything too abrupt or extreme that could cause further tearing or strain. Pointing my toes has been very safe, and for me even that has been enough to help. I did not do anything more than that while my tendons were still 'tight'; now that they seem to have loosened up I'm able to do a little more.

Carole C

Ellen J. on 2/04/02 at 11:01 (072525)

I found that when I put my toes against a wall and did my stretches that way, I was tearing my fascia each time, esp. if I held the stretch a long time. That is why I don't use any force against my feet anymore. I remember that when I first got PF, that even just a tiny bit of stretching would hurt. I waited until later, when my feet were less inflamed to begin stretching. Doctors may have different advice than that, so I would check with the doctors to see what is the best approach. I keep hearing that 'pain' is the gauge to go by. If it hurts, don't do it. Since people keep saying that we should warm the muscle before stretching it, I wonder if the following would work for stretching the feet. If a person doesn't have time to do an aerobic warm-up prior to stretching, what would happen if a person placed a heating pad on the floor under their desk while working, placed their feet on it to get them nice and warm and then stretched. Any opinions?