Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Rebecca H., how are you?

Posted by Suzanne D on 2/03/02 at 08:15 (072393)

I just received a phone call from the other lady who plays piano at our church, asking me to play today. That made me think of you, Rebecca, and I wondered how you are doing these days. I hope you are in less pain! Are your children well, and are you still giving piano lessons?

Just thinking of you and wishing you well...
Suzanne

Re: Rebecca H., how are you?

Carole C in NOLA on 2/03/02 at 10:22 (072412)

Rebecca, I have been wondering how you are doing too! With any luck you are able to walk at least a little without great pain, by now. I hope you are not re-injuring your feet trying to 'tough it out'.

Have any treatments been helping, and have you seen your doctor or got another medical opinion lately? Did you ask for and/or get any pain meds? Being in so much pain for so long must be unbelievably tiring and depressing. Are you dealing with these mental aspects OK? If not, vent here. LOL

How are your Brooks Addictions working out? I notice that you have a lot in common with almost all of us, in that you have continued to pursue your 'quest for the perfect shoe'. I haven't found my perfect shoe other than my ugly orthotics/SAS combination, but my whipstitch Amsterdam Tatami's seem to work almost as well for my particular foot problems and they look more acceptable. I have spent a lot on shoes but each one seems to work just a little better than the one before.

How are your kids? Are they and you enjoying this Superbowl weekend?

Carole C

Re: Suzanne and Carole

rebecca h on 2/03/02 at 21:57 (072499)

Suzanne and Carole,

Thank you so much for thinking of me. It really means alot to know you are out there and you care. I have had a few good days lately. My doctor sent me to a physical therapist who is really nice. She has been doing all kinds of things that seem to be helping, including massage, excercises to strengthen foot muscles, iontophorosis (I think I spelled that right-its where they put a patch on your foot with medicine under it on your foot and then send a mild electrical current through it to make the medicine soak down into the tissues to relieve pain and inflammation) I have gone four times so far and in between do stretching and strengthening excercises (towel curls, picking up marbles with toes, wrap towel around forefoot and pull to stretch, etc.) My feet felt so good on Friday I went to the grocery store-the first time since early November- and bought bananas and hairspray : ). I also went to a shoe store and spent about two hours trying on all kinds of shoes in my seemingly endless quest for the perfect pair. I had almost given up when I spotted some adidas santiossage swim shoes. They are waterproof sandals with little bumps for 27.99. I got them for shower shoes. They felt so good I wore them all day. That was a mistake-they made my heel skin sore. But, if I just wear them a little each day I think they will be a piece of the puzzle that will get me well. Okay, I need to stop right here and add something. As you probably know from previous posts, I am a believer in the God of the Bible. I was reading the other day in II Chronicles about this really good king who had alot of faith and did some great things. But then toward the end of his life he got a Serious Foot Disease. And instead of relying on God he relied on the physicians. Well, his great career as king ended on kindof a sad note because of his lack of faith. When I read that, I realised I've been relying too much on physicians and not enough on God, who I claim to know and trust. At that moment I determined to give him the credit for any healing that takes place. I'm not saying I'm not going to go to doctors anymore. That would be really stupid. I believe God has given certain people the brains and compassion and skill and wisdom to be great doctors. Some doctors are using their skill and knowledge for helping people and are in it because they love what they do and enjoy seeing their patients improve. Some doctors are more in it for selfish reasons, but either way, they can do alot to help, but ultimately I believe that healing comes from God. He made our bodies with incredible recuperative powers and sometimes even does miracles. I don't know if I might be one of those He does a miracle on-sure would be nice!.....But in the meantime.... I had a few good days, probable overdid it and today my feet hurt pretty bad. But I'm not giving up on my feet or on doctors or on God. I am still teaching piano lessons. Homeschooling my kids too. Both of these can be done sitting in a chair or curled up on a couch. The children are learning to accept their new responsibilities and have better attitudes than they did a few weeks ago. The house is not as clean as I'd like, but we spend a little more time just sittin' around the kitchen table playing Pass the Pigs or UNO. So... in a way I guess foot problems have made me a better mom. Kids work more, Mama has more time to play games...lie around on the couch reading Green Eggs and Ham...And my husband takes them sledding and skiing and right now they are at a Super Bowl Party so I have a nice quiet evening to write emails : ) I have played keyboard in the praise band at church for the last two Sundays. The other band members help me up the two oversized steps to the stage. It feels good to be out doing things again. I'll have to be really careful, though, not to overdo!! (please remind me!) The Brooks Addictions are okay, the best I've found so far but still irritate the inside of my ankle. I found some A N D 1 Basketball shoes that felt good and almost bought them but they bent in the middle instead of the forefoot so I didn't. I may try some Danskos clogs. Alot of people on the message boards seemed to be helped by them. I am not on any pain meds now. I think its better for me personally not to take them because I am such an overdoer that if the pain is relieved even slightly I push my feet way too hard. So its better for me to feel the pain in full force to keep me off of them. I am, however, planning to take four ibuprofen tonight right before I go to bed. I'm sure I won't overdo while sleeping!!! Thanks again for your concern.
Your Foot Friend,
rebecca

Carole C in NOLA on 2/03/02 at 22:37 (072505)

How wonderful that you were able to get to the grocery store and shoe store! I am so happy for you and so glad that the physical therapy seems to be helping. It's hard not to over-do when your life has been affected so much for all this time, and suddenly it doesn't hurt as much. You are smart to recognize this and we will keep reminding you! LOL

My mother used to tell me that 'God helps those who help themselves', and it sounds like you are doing that by taking good care of your feet and getting the medical care that you need to heal, and I am glad to hear that.

I have never seen the Adidas Santiossage swim shoes. They sound pretty terrific if they are helping you to feel better, though. By little bumps do you mean that they have a sort of built in orthotic, or that they have a bumpy flat surface? I think you made the right decision about the basketball shoes if they were very bendy or flexible in the middle. You have enough foot problems without straining your PF any more.

I'm so glad that you have been able to continue with your piano and also that you can spend more time with your children. I didn't realize that you are home schooling them, and that is quite a challenge even for a mother without PF. You are quite an accomplished woman.

Carole C

rebecca h on 2/05/02 at 11:10 (072635)

Hi Carole!

The Santiossage shoes have a bumpy surface AND have a sortof built in othotic, a little like a birkenstock, but 'milder' : ) They are working well as shower shoes for me.

By the way, how is your mom doing? The last I remember she was very sick over Christmas time. Is she doing better now? I know it must be hard to not be able to visit her.

My mother has been urging me to try some SAS shoes. She says they are great and you say they are great so maybe I should check into them. I think I'll try to find your previous posts about them. I haven't seen them at the shoe stores I've been to but will keep looking.

Homeschooling isn't quite as hard as people think. That is IF you like children, which I really do : ) It's alot harder, in my opinion, to potty train than to teach them to read. Math isn't too hard either until long division-which takes about a week or two of repeating all the steps over and over before it 'sinks in' : )

Happy Foot Day,
rebecca

Carole C in NOLA on 2/05/02 at 16:43 (072668)

Those Adidas Santiossage shoes sound perfect for shower shoes. Interesting!

My Mom has had a rough time of it. She's home from the hospital now, but they didn't really do anything to help her. And now, her significant other for the past twenty years has just died this week. So she is on my mind.

SAS shoes are hard to find except at a SAS shoe store. I can't find any information about them online. If your mother lives in town, maybe she knows where to get them. There are a few stores other than SAS shoe stores that carry them. Shoe stores that pride themselves in dealing with problem feet, orthopedic shoes, and orthotics would be most likely to have them. I would seriously hesitate before recommending them for you, though, because I don't have problems with my forefeet and I don't know if they would work for that. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't, either, but I just don't know enough about forefoot problems or about your particular feet to have any feel for what would work. You could try them on and see what you think. There are lots of kinds of SAS shoes. Mine are the huge ones that look like boxcars and are called 'Time Out'. (grin)

Despite the fact that I've grown to hate the unfeminine appearance of my SAS shoes, I am wearing them as I type. I always seem to revert to my orthotics (and SAS shoes with them) when I have a setback. I had a minor one yesterday, because I was out at Stennis coordinating with the Navy and that necessitated standing on hard flat warehouse floors on and off for much of the day. My Tatami's just weren't quite up to that, even though they've been good for normal days. I strained my PF mildly, so I'm back to my orthotics and being extra nice to my feet.

I agree about the potty training. If they aren't physically ready there's not much you can do, even if they really want to be dry. But if they want to read, sometimes they learn pretty easily. Long division sounds harder to teach.

Carole C

Suzanne D on 2/05/02 at 19:19 (072700)

Hi, Rebecca! It was good to hear from you! I'm glad you have been having some good days. And you are right: don't give up on your feet, on doctors, or on God. You said that well. I, too, believe in God and know that He can do anything. I think He works in many ways His wonders to perform. I have heard an old saying - not from the Bible but it has wisdom: 'Believe as if it all depends on God and work as if it all depends on you'. There's a balance in there, I think. We have to try with everything at our disposal, and yet, we know that without Him, nothing good can be accomplished. I hope that made some sense!

Homeschooling must be rewarding as well as challenging with the many levels of your children. I admire your efforts.

Oh, and I'm glad you have been anle to play the keyboard the past two Sundays! I know that means a lot to you.

Take care, and I hope your good days continue! :-)

Re: long division...

Suzanne D on 2/05/02 at 19:24 (072703)

Rebecca, I just remembered this and wanted to share it with you. Years ago I taught third grade, and some of the children had such a hard time remembering the process of long division. Finally, one day I wrote at the top of the board: DMS, bring down, DMS. I looked out at the students and said, 'Class, just remember it this way: Dolly Madison Snacks - DMS - Divide, Multiply, Subtract, bring down, Divide, Multiply, Subtract...Just think Dolly Madison Snacks!'

The next day, one of my students whose father drove a Dolly Madison Snacks truck (I didn't know that!) sent little snacks for the entire class after she went home and told him about all that free advertising! You can imagine that after we started math with those treats, the rest of the time we spent on long division went very well indeed! (Nothing like a snack to help the memory!)

Re: I'm thinking of your mother, Carole...(eom)

Suzanne D on 2/05/02 at 19:25 (072704)

Re: Thanks, Suzanne :( (eom)

Carole C in NOLA on 2/05/02 at 19:32 (072708)

rebecca h on 2/06/02 at 07:22 (072760)

YUMMY MATH! That is such a cute idea. And I bet it really works. Especially if maybe I had a snack sitting there waiting for them when they finished their worksheet : ) Thanks for the great idea.

rebecca h on 2/06/02 at 07:31 (072761)

Thank you Suzanne. I like your philosophy of believing as if it all depended on God and working as if it all depended on you.

I'm really glad to be back in the praise band. It's one of the best feelings in the world to be in the 'middle of the music and worshipping' There's something that happens that's hard to explain. I bet you understand, though, being a musician yourself.

Well, take care and hope those first graders are sweet as pie today : )

Re: Rebecca H., how are you?

Carole C in NOLA on 2/03/02 at 10:22 (072412)

Rebecca, I have been wondering how you are doing too! With any luck you are able to walk at least a little without great pain, by now. I hope you are not re-injuring your feet trying to 'tough it out'.

Have any treatments been helping, and have you seen your doctor or got another medical opinion lately? Did you ask for and/or get any pain meds? Being in so much pain for so long must be unbelievably tiring and depressing. Are you dealing with these mental aspects OK? If not, vent here. LOL

How are your Brooks Addictions working out? I notice that you have a lot in common with almost all of us, in that you have continued to pursue your 'quest for the perfect shoe'. I haven't found my perfect shoe other than my ugly orthotics/SAS combination, but my whipstitch Amsterdam Tatami's seem to work almost as well for my particular foot problems and they look more acceptable. I have spent a lot on shoes but each one seems to work just a little better than the one before.

How are your kids? Are they and you enjoying this Superbowl weekend?

Carole C

rebecca h on 2/03/02 at 21:57 (072499)

Suzanne and Carole,

Thank you so much for thinking of me. It really means alot to know you are out there and you care. I have had a few good days lately. My doctor sent me to a physical therapist who is really nice. She has been doing all kinds of things that seem to be helping, including massage, excercises to strengthen foot muscles, iontophorosis (I think I spelled that right-its where they put a patch on your foot with medicine under it on your foot and then send a mild electrical current through it to make the medicine soak down into the tissues to relieve pain and inflammation) I have gone four times so far and in between do stretching and strengthening excercises (towel curls, picking up marbles with toes, wrap towel around forefoot and pull to stretch, etc.) My feet felt so good on Friday I went to the grocery store-the first time since early November- and bought bananas and hairspray : ). I also went to a shoe store and spent about two hours trying on all kinds of shoes in my seemingly endless quest for the perfect pair. I had almost given up when I spotted some adidas santiossage swim shoes. They are waterproof sandals with little bumps for 27.99. I got them for shower shoes. They felt so good I wore them all day. That was a mistake-they made my heel skin sore. But, if I just wear them a little each day I think they will be a piece of the puzzle that will get me well. Okay, I need to stop right here and add something. As you probably know from previous posts, I am a believer in the God of the Bible. I was reading the other day in II Chronicles about this really good king who had alot of faith and did some great things. But then toward the end of his life he got a Serious Foot Disease. And instead of relying on God he relied on the physicians. Well, his great career as king ended on kindof a sad note because of his lack of faith. When I read that, I realised I've been relying too much on physicians and not enough on God, who I claim to know and trust. At that moment I determined to give him the credit for any healing that takes place. I'm not saying I'm not going to go to doctors anymore. That would be really stupid. I believe God has given certain people the brains and compassion and skill and wisdom to be great doctors. Some doctors are using their skill and knowledge for helping people and are in it because they love what they do and enjoy seeing their patients improve. Some doctors are more in it for selfish reasons, but either way, they can do alot to help, but ultimately I believe that healing comes from God. He made our bodies with incredible recuperative powers and sometimes even does miracles. I don't know if I might be one of those He does a miracle on-sure would be nice!.....But in the meantime.... I had a few good days, probable overdid it and today my feet hurt pretty bad. But I'm not giving up on my feet or on doctors or on God. I am still teaching piano lessons. Homeschooling my kids too. Both of these can be done sitting in a chair or curled up on a couch. The children are learning to accept their new responsibilities and have better attitudes than they did a few weeks ago. The house is not as clean as I'd like, but we spend a little more time just sittin' around the kitchen table playing Pass the Pigs or UNO. So... in a way I guess foot problems have made me a better mom. Kids work more, Mama has more time to play games...lie around on the couch reading Green Eggs and Ham...And my husband takes them sledding and skiing and right now they are at a Super Bowl Party so I have a nice quiet evening to write emails : ) I have played keyboard in the praise band at church for the last two Sundays. The other band members help me up the two oversized steps to the stage. It feels good to be out doing things again. I'll have to be really careful, though, not to overdo!! (please remind me!) The Brooks Addictions are okay, the best I've found so far but still irritate the inside of my ankle. I found some A N D 1 Basketball shoes that felt good and almost bought them but they bent in the middle instead of the forefoot so I didn't. I may try some Danskos clogs. Alot of people on the message boards seemed to be helped by them. I am not on any pain meds now. I think its better for me personally not to take them because I am such an overdoer that if the pain is relieved even slightly I push my feet way too hard. So its better for me to feel the pain in full force to keep me off of them. I am, however, planning to take four ibuprofen tonight right before I go to bed. I'm sure I won't overdo while sleeping!!! Thanks again for your concern.
Your Foot Friend,
rebecca

Carole C in NOLA on 2/03/02 at 22:37 (072505)

How wonderful that you were able to get to the grocery store and shoe store! I am so happy for you and so glad that the physical therapy seems to be helping. It's hard not to over-do when your life has been affected so much for all this time, and suddenly it doesn't hurt as much. You are smart to recognize this and we will keep reminding you! LOL

My mother used to tell me that 'God helps those who help themselves', and it sounds like you are doing that by taking good care of your feet and getting the medical care that you need to heal, and I am glad to hear that.

I have never seen the Adidas Santiossage swim shoes. They sound pretty terrific if they are helping you to feel better, though. By little bumps do you mean that they have a sort of built in orthotic, or that they have a bumpy flat surface? I think you made the right decision about the basketball shoes if they were very bendy or flexible in the middle. You have enough foot problems without straining your PF any more.

I'm so glad that you have been able to continue with your piano and also that you can spend more time with your children. I didn't realize that you are home schooling them, and that is quite a challenge even for a mother without PF. You are quite an accomplished woman.

Carole C

rebecca h on 2/05/02 at 11:10 (072635)

Hi Carole!

The Santiossage shoes have a bumpy surface AND have a sortof built in othotic, a little like a birkenstock, but 'milder' : ) They are working well as shower shoes for me.

By the way, how is your mom doing? The last I remember she was very sick over Christmas time. Is she doing better now? I know it must be hard to not be able to visit her.

My mother has been urging me to try some SAS shoes. She says they are great and you say they are great so maybe I should check into them. I think I'll try to find your previous posts about them. I haven't seen them at the shoe stores I've been to but will keep looking.

Homeschooling isn't quite as hard as people think. That is IF you like children, which I really do : ) It's alot harder, in my opinion, to potty train than to teach them to read. Math isn't too hard either until long division-which takes about a week or two of repeating all the steps over and over before it 'sinks in' : )

Happy Foot Day,
rebecca

Carole C in NOLA on 2/05/02 at 16:43 (072668)

Those Adidas Santiossage shoes sound perfect for shower shoes. Interesting!

My Mom has had a rough time of it. She's home from the hospital now, but they didn't really do anything to help her. And now, her significant other for the past twenty years has just died this week. So she is on my mind.

SAS shoes are hard to find except at a SAS shoe store. I can't find any information about them online. If your mother lives in town, maybe she knows where to get them. There are a few stores other than SAS shoe stores that carry them. Shoe stores that pride themselves in dealing with problem feet, orthopedic shoes, and orthotics would be most likely to have them. I would seriously hesitate before recommending them for you, though, because I don't have problems with my forefeet and I don't know if they would work for that. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't, either, but I just don't know enough about forefoot problems or about your particular feet to have any feel for what would work. You could try them on and see what you think. There are lots of kinds of SAS shoes. Mine are the huge ones that look like boxcars and are called 'Time Out'. (grin)

Despite the fact that I've grown to hate the unfeminine appearance of my SAS shoes, I am wearing them as I type. I always seem to revert to my orthotics (and SAS shoes with them) when I have a setback. I had a minor one yesterday, because I was out at Stennis coordinating with the Navy and that necessitated standing on hard flat warehouse floors on and off for much of the day. My Tatami's just weren't quite up to that, even though they've been good for normal days. I strained my PF mildly, so I'm back to my orthotics and being extra nice to my feet.

I agree about the potty training. If they aren't physically ready there's not much you can do, even if they really want to be dry. But if they want to read, sometimes they learn pretty easily. Long division sounds harder to teach.

Carole C

Suzanne D on 2/05/02 at 19:19 (072700)

Hi, Rebecca! It was good to hear from you! I'm glad you have been having some good days. And you are right: don't give up on your feet, on doctors, or on God. You said that well. I, too, believe in God and know that He can do anything. I think He works in many ways His wonders to perform. I have heard an old saying - not from the Bible but it has wisdom: 'Believe as if it all depends on God and work as if it all depends on you'. There's a balance in there, I think. We have to try with everything at our disposal, and yet, we know that without Him, nothing good can be accomplished. I hope that made some sense!

Homeschooling must be rewarding as well as challenging with the many levels of your children. I admire your efforts.

Oh, and I'm glad you have been anle to play the keyboard the past two Sundays! I know that means a lot to you.

Take care, and I hope your good days continue! :-)

Suzanne D on 2/05/02 at 19:24 (072703)

Rebecca, I just remembered this and wanted to share it with you. Years ago I taught third grade, and some of the children had such a hard time remembering the process of long division. Finally, one day I wrote at the top of the board: DMS, bring down, DMS. I looked out at the students and said, 'Class, just remember it this way: Dolly Madison Snacks - DMS - Divide, Multiply, Subtract, bring down, Divide, Multiply, Subtract...Just think Dolly Madison Snacks!'

The next day, one of my students whose father drove a Dolly Madison Snacks truck (I didn't know that!) sent little snacks for the entire class after she went home and told him about all that free advertising! You can imagine that after we started math with those treats, the rest of the time we spent on long division went very well indeed! (Nothing like a snack to help the memory!)

Re: I'm thinking of your mother, Carole...(eom)

Suzanne D on 2/05/02 at 19:25 (072704)

Re: Thanks, Suzanne :( (eom)

Carole C in NOLA on 2/05/02 at 19:32 (072708)

rebecca h on 2/06/02 at 07:22 (072760)

YUMMY MATH! That is such a cute idea. And I bet it really works. Especially if maybe I had a snack sitting there waiting for them when they finished their worksheet : ) Thanks for the great idea.

rebecca h on 2/06/02 at 07:31 (072761)

Thank you Suzanne. I like your philosophy of believing as if it all depended on God and working as if it all depended on you.

I'm really glad to be back in the praise band. It's one of the best feelings in the world to be in the 'middle of the music and worshipping' There's something that happens that's hard to explain. I bet you understand, though, being a musician yourself.

Well, take care and hope those first graders are sweet as pie today : )